Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Redirect in mime file

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Redirect in mime file
 Login/Join

Master
posted
What's the use of Redirect in mime file? Why we are setting Yes for PDF and Excel format.

Posts: 780 | Location: Florida | Registered: January 09, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what the reason is for the redirect. I had to turn it off because all of our server requests must be proxied through another web server for security purposes. Nothing that was redirected worked after we did this. I would like to know the answer to your question also.

Posts: 90 | Location: Tinker AFB | Registered: June 03, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
There's information on redirection in the WF Security and Admin manual.

"The mime.wfs file contains information about format types available with WebFOCUS.
Setting the redirect column to yes enables redirection, which allows you to save the report
output in a temporary directory. Then, an http call is made from the browser to retrieve the
temporary stored output for display in the browser. If redirection is turned off (set to no),
the report output displays in the browser immediately after the request is executed. A new
setting for Release 7.1.1, len, stores report content in the temporary directory when it
exceeds the buffer size and then sends the output to the browser without an additional
http call. For more information about these values, see the descriptions of the
IBIWF_sendbufsize and IBIWF_redirect variables in General Settings in cgivars.wfs on
page 4-15.
To access the redirect setting using the WebFOCUS Administration Console, click
Configuration and then Redirection Settings."

Find the manual for your release and you should find redirection listed in the index.

Posts: 118 | Location: DC | Registered: May 13, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
So am I correct in assuming that the purpose for the redirect is to allow large files to be processed without buffer problems?

Posts: 90 | Location: Tinker AFB | Registered: June 03, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I saw that document but I need to know what's the advantage of save the report in temporary directory and display it in browser. Instead we can directly sends the output to the browser, right.

Actually the problem we have is, drill down is not working in Excel. It throws security error (or) throws login page. It solves only when we change our Explorer settings to "Browse in same window" . But we dont want to do that as we can't ask each and every person to change that settings.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
The way I understand it, when redirection is set on each excel request includes a unique name in the request (generated by system). So when you drill-down the URL call is different. Because the URL is different, Excel can open all the drill down sheets.

If redirection is off each request tries to open the same sheet (same name). I�m thinking it screws up the drill-down URL.

Master
posted Hide Post
But our's is redirect set to YES only. Still our drill down excel report not working. Throwing some security error.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
What's the exact error message? What release of WF? Only happening in Excel? You get the initial Excel spreadhsheet fine just not the drill down?

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
You might be running into a known problem. From the WebFOCUS Release Notes - version 5.2.3 and higher:

The following are known issues when using Excel, EXL2K, Excel 2000, and PDF formats:

� EXL97 format does not always respect the WebFOCUS edit options.
� If drill-downs are included in a WebFOCUS report in Excel format, and the drill-down
reports fail to open, you must check the "Browse in same window" option for XLS file
types. If this setting is not selected, a WebFOCUS report in Excel format will be unable
to pass cookies to drill-down reports, and the reports will fail to open. To check the
"Browse in same window" option for XLS file types, perform the following steps:
1. Access Windows Explorer.
2. From the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
3. Select the File Types tab.
4. Select the XLS extension and then click Advanced.
5. Select the Browse in same window check box and then click OK.
6. Click Close to exit the Folder Options window.
� If you are using Windows NT Challenge/Response, Basic Web server authentication, or
both, and you attempt to open a WebFOCUS report that contains a HOLD FORMAT
EXL2K statement, you may need to type your user ID and password multiple times
before the Excel 2000 output document opens in the Web browser. To resolve this
issue, obtain Microsoft Office 2000 Service Release 1/1a (SR-1/SR-1a).

Master
posted Hide Post
We have WF 5.3.3 and it happens only in Excel report. Yes, I'm getting the initial Excel but not the drill down.

Changing the options in Windows Explorer to "Browse in same window" works but they dont want to do that. Just trying to find, is there any other way we can solve this issue.

Anyway Thanks for your information CoderMonkey. If you find anything in this issue, Please let me know.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Anyone know of another way to solve this issue besides CoderMonkeys solution? Is this Problem fixed in 7.1?

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
We also use WF 5.3.3, and have the same issues that Kamesh has previously mentioned. We too cannot change the Windows Explorer "Browse in same window" setting.

Currently we have an open case with Information Builders, and this is with product development to fix within 5.3.3 release. From what we have been told, this has been fixed in 7.1.

Prod: WF 5.3.3 on Windows 2003
Test: WF 5.3.3 on Windows 2003

Posts: 6 | Location: France | Registered: July 13, 2005Report This Post