Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     conditional row label

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
conditional row label
 Login/Join

<frankie>
posted
I have the below code executing fine, but the performance is unacceptable. I've been told the main reason for the poor performance is due to the fact I am grouping by a defined field (CBLYNN_A7).

How do I(can I?) group by the indicator (IS_CB_LYNN_IND) and still get row labels to be CB Lynn or Catalog
correctly?

Thanks,
Frankie

-SET &LST_YTD=DATECVT((DATEADD((DATECVT(&YYMD,'I8YYMD','YYMD')),'Y',-1)),'YYMD', 'I8YYMD');
-* Change month/day to Jan 1
-SET &CUR_BEG = EDIT(&DATEYY,'9999') | '0101';
-SET &LST_BEG = EDIT(&LST_YTD,'9999') | '0101';
-SET &CUR_EOM=DATECVT(DATEMOV((DATEADD(DATECVT(&YYMD,'I8YYMD','YYMD'),'M',-1)),EOM),'YYMD', 'I8YYMD');
-SET &LST_EOM=DATECVT(DATEMOV((DATEADD(DATECVT(&YYMD,'I8YYMD','YYMD'),'M',-13)),EOM),'YYMD', 'I8YYMD');
JOIN
RPTN_DIM_PERIOD.RPTN_DIM_PERIOD.PERIOD_KEY IN RPTN_DIM_PERIOD TO ALL
RPTN_FCT_DLY_ITM_SLS.RPTN_FCT_DLY_ITM_SLS.PERIOD_KEY IN RPTN_FCT_DLY_ITM_SLS AS J0
END
JOIN
RPTN_FCT_DLY_ITM_SLS.RPTN_FCT_DLY_ITM_SLS.FOB_KEY IN RPTN_DIM_PERIOD
TO RPTN_DIM_FOB.RPTN_DIM_FOB.FOB_KEY IN RPTN_DIM_FOB AS J1
END
DEFINE FILE RPTN_DIM_PERIOD ADD
CBLYNN_A7/A7=IF IS_CB_LYNN_IND EQ 'Y' THEN 'CB Lynn' ELSE 'Catalog';
YTD_2005/D12.2=IF YR_NBR EQ 2005 THEN ITM_EXT_PRC_US_AMT ELSE 0;
END
TABLE FILE RPTN_DIM_PERIOD
-*AS 'YTD Variance'
SUM
YTD_2005 NOPRINT
SUM
ITM_EXT_PRC_US_AMT/D13.2M AS ' '
BY
FOB_BUS_UNIT_NM AS 'Family, of Business'
BY
CBLYNN_A7 AS 'Product, Group '
ACROSS
YR_NBR AS 'Net Sls'
COMPUTE
Var_%/D6.2% = ( ( C5 - C2 ) / C2 ) * 100;
2005_%_Ttl/D6.2% = ( C4 / YTD_2005 ) * 100;
HEADING
"Product Sales Report"
WHERE ((( INV_DT GE &LST_BEG ) AND ( INV_DT LE &LST_EOM )) OR (( INV_DT GE &CUR_BEG ) AND ( INV_DT LE &CUR_EOM )))
AND ( FOB_BUS_UNIT_NM EQ '&Business_Unit.(Cronatron,Drummond,Kent,Lawson De Mexico,Lawson Products).Business Unit.' );

Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I have some questions.

Is IS_CB_LYNN_IND is 'Y' or 'N'?
Why are you doing this?
...<br />SUM<br />YTD_2005 NOPRINT<br />SUM<br />...
How much data is being return by this report?
Have you tried moving DEFINE to a COMPUTE?

Posts: 406 | Location: Canada | Registered: May 31, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming these tables are relational databases. In order to optimize requests to an RDBMS you need to ensure that the join, sort, aggregation and selection criteria get passed. Mutli-verb requests and sorting on defined fields typically disable optimization. Since the sort on CBLYNN_A7 is probably failing, all the aggregation is probably failing too. Which means your request is pulling back all the details rows and asking FOCUS to sort and aggrgate. I typically try to write an optimized RDBMS pull, hold it, then apply the defines and heavy formatting to the HOLD file. Something like this:

SUM ITM_EXT_PRC_US_AMT
BY FOB_BUS_UNIT_NM
BY IS_CB_LYNN_IND
BY YR_NBR
WHERE ((( INV_DT GE &LST_BEG ) AND ( INV_DT LE &LST_EOM )) OR (( INV_DT GE &CUR_BEG ) AND ( INV_DT LE &CUR_EOM )))
AND ( FOB_BUS_UNIT_NM EQ '&Business_Unit.(Cronatron,Drummond,Kent,Lawson De Mexico,Lawson Products).Business Unit.' );
ON TABLE HOLD AS HOUT1 FORMAT ALPHA
END

DEFINE FILE HOUT1
CBLYNN_A7/A7=IF IS_CB_LYNN_IND EQ 'Y' THEN 'CB Lynn' ELSE 'Catalog';
END

TABLE FILE RPTN_DIM_PERIOD
SUM
ITM_EXT_PRC_US_AMT/D13.2M AS ' '
BY FOB_BUS_UNIT_NM AS 'Family, of Business'
BY CBLYNN_A7 AS 'Product, Group '
ACROSS
YR_NBR AS 'Net Sls'
COMPUTE
Var_%/D6.2% = ( ( C5 - C2 ) / C2 ) * 100;
2005_%_Ttl/D6.2% = ( C4 / YTD_2005 ) * 100;
HEADING
"Product Sales Report"
END

I didn't include the YTD_2005 DEFINE because you might be able to accomplish that with row-total or column-total -- not sure. If not, add those elements back in as well.

Posts: 118 | Location: DC | Registered: May 13, 2005Report This Post
<frankie>
posted
Is IS_CB_LYNN_IND is 'Y' or 'N'?
YES
===============
How much data is being return by this report?
2 rows / 6 columns (very little returned, however the fact table is ~ 50mil)
===============
Have you tried moving DEFINE to a COMPUTE?
Not exactly sure how to code/what you mean, something like?:
COMPUTE catalog/D12.2 = IF IS_CB_LYNN_IND = 'N' THEN AMT ELSE 0; AS 'Catalog'
COMPUTE cblynn/D12.2 = IF IS_CB_LYNN_IND = 'Y' THEN AMT ELSE 0; AS 'CB Lynn'
===============
Why are you doing this?

code:
-------------------------------
SUM YTD_2005 NOPRINT
SUM

-------------------------------

I was having a problem with my compute statement after the across verb, it wasn't recognizing YTD_2005 until I did this.

================================

Bare with me, new to language, trying to develop with dev studio etc.

Report This Post
<frankie>
posted
codermonkey,
thanks for the post. I will give your example a try and keep you posted. I didn't use row-total/column-total because I only wanted that calc on the current year (2005), when I tried using the other method, I would get it (pct of ttl) for all years.

Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
frankie,
Since your final dataset is very small I would try to aggregate your data as much as you can before doing a DEFINE. This what codermonkey did in code that was posted.

Posts: 406 | Location: Canada | Registered: May 31, 2004Report This Post