Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] No report from ReportCaster, but runs fine on its own???

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] No report from ReportCaster, but runs fine on its own???
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I have a report that resides in IA and it runs fine if I run it from the web interface, but the Reportcaster schedule log says "No report from Task" and "No report to distribute". There are no errors in the log. What is going on? As far as I know, this is the only report that is happening to and it hasn't changed since long before this issue started. What am I missing?

Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DWaybright,

WebFOCUS 8.2.03 (production), 8.2.06 (testing)
AppStudio, InfoAssist
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 183 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 05, 2017Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
ReportCaster can be very finicky.

Have you tried running with tracing on, when you edit the schedule ?

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Waz,
I don't know how to do that. Is that something done in the console?

AppStudio, InfoAssist
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Is this a Document, Chart or Report? What's the output format? Did it used to work and stop or did you just create the schedule?

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
This is a report, output format is PDF, not overriding that in the schedule. The schedule has been running for months on a monthly basis. Last month was the first time it didn't work. Now that I think about it, I did change the recipients, but that shouldn't cause the report to not generate, right? If that was a problem wouldn't it give an error to that effect? There are no error messages in the log.

AppStudio, InfoAssist
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Can you try a test schedule using this report and see if that works? If that works, something is causing the original schedule to break. If it doesn't work even in a new schedule, then the scheduler is having a problem.

In this test, I would also test other formats to see if that's an issue. Is this report in the Domain or on the app directory?

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I created a new schedule for the report and that didn't work either -- same thing: No report to distribute. This time I noticed in the log the line "SET DISTRIBUTE=OFF" but I don't see that line in the report code and there are no INCLUDE statements in the report. I'm guessing that is why no report from ReportCaster.
Where could that be coming from? The Task status is Enabled, the Distribution email status is Enabled.

AppStudio, InfoAssist
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know how to do that. Is that something done in the console?

IF you can find the schedule, double click on it, then in the top row, there is a run button with a drop down next to it. the run with traces is there.

But, not sure if you can get to the trace, as it is on the Web Client.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Waz,
I never noticed that before! I ran it with trace, but I didn't see anything... where does the trace go? The log looked the same as if I ran it without trace.

Thanks.

AppStudio, InfoAssist
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Can you test this new schedule with
SET READLIMIT=10
SET RECORDLIMIT=10

in the very beginning of the report?

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
I ran it with trace, but I didn't see anything... where does the trace go?

It gets written to trace files on the Web Client.

ibi/WebFOCUS82/ReportCaster/trc

So depends on whether you have access to the server its on.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Waz,
I was able to get access to that directory, however, there were no files with yesterday's date (or this morning's as I tried again). Is it possible that the trace facility is disabled?

Babak - I can do that, but I don't know how that will help since no report is generated of any size when ReportCaster runs it. It generates the report if I run it from the web interface.

AppStudio, InfoAssist
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It seems like the problem is specific to this report not all scheduled reports. I assume a TABLE FILE CAR will successfully run and email you the output.

No Report Generated could mean the size of the sort blew you out of the water and what you thought should be sent was never there. Consequently, eliminating the internal sort by limiting the number of records helps narrow down the problem.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
SET READLIMIT=10
SET RECORDLIMIT=10

Babak - I put these lines at the beginning of the report and they gave me an error.
Yes, all other reports run fine, it is just this one. Thus my frustration! I may just recreate it and the schedule and see if that fixes it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DWaybright,

AppStudio, InfoAssist
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was able to get access to that directory, however, there were no files with yesterday's date (or this morning's as I tried again). Is it possible that the trace facility is disabled?

Did you do a run with traces ?, this is not a setting, it will run the report and create the trace files. There should be a folder under the location I gave, and it will have the trace information.

I am also thinking you should open a case with Tech Support

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Waz,
I ran with traces but I could never find the trace files. I tried recreating the report but had the same issue. I think I will have to open a case.
Thanks.

AppStudio, InfoAssist
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Deb

The traces will be on the server where the WebFOCUS client is installed under \ibi\WebFOCUS82\ReportCaster\trc.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone who offered suggestions. I forgot this report is a compound report. Even though it had been running fine and the last change to the report was only to the SQL code, it suddenly fell victim to the compound report ReportCaster bug. When I changed the schedule to override the output (but told it to override it to the same output format), it started working again. Gotta love those WebFocus quirks! Razzer

AppStudio, InfoAssist
Windows, All Outputs