Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
FOC336
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
THE SUM OF ALL FIELD LENGTHS EXCEEDS MAXIMUM.

I know there are a few posts on this but I wanted to make sure I understood it.

I am executing a procedure that takes 3 variables, an id, a select list and a where clause. The where clause can be null.

SQL SQLMSS
ex procedire '&IBIUSER', 'FIELD1, FIELD2','&WHERECLAUSE';
TABLE FILE SQLOUT
PRINT *
END

I am getting the error above with only selecting 2 fields, but in the procedure there are a TON of fields being selected for others that use the proc... is that the issue? Or are Field1 and 2 the issue? They don't seem to be large, but I can't do an ?ff SQLOUT because it tells me NO DATA FILE IS CURRENTLY ACTIVE.

Any thoughts?

Dev, SIT, UAT, Production:7.6.6
Dev Sandbox:7.6.11

Dev Studio - 7.6.6

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
slfmr,
Did you try inserting ?FF after TABLE FILE SQLOUT:

TABLE FILE SQLOUT
?FF

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Based on the description for 336, I'm assuming that it is returning a record longer than 64K which you are then trying to display.

Windows: WF 7.6.2: SQL Server 2008 R2

Posts: 86 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 03, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Okay, I tried ?FF SQLOUT after TABLE FILE SQLOUT and I got:
THE SUM OF ALL FIELD LENGTHS EXCEEDS MAXIMUM.
BYPASSING TO END OF COMMAND

Nothing else.

I will get with our DB people and verify the return result size. Thank you. I just wanted to verify if it was my select list or something else. The return result makes sense.

Dev Studio - 7.6.6

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
What is the limit of bytes that are allowed? I thought 7.2 had a 32k byte... but this team is on 7.1.1 .. is that still limited to 16k?

Also is there any command that will let me see how many bytes are coming back without having it error on me?

Thank you!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: slfmr,

Dev Studio - 7.6.6

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Have you ever been succesful in running the procedure from within webfocus, maybe by selecting just 1 field of 1 character long?

All fields that are being output by this procedure will be present in the sqlout file, and the total length of all fields within one record is 32 KB. This limit has been in place for a long time now, and will probably not be increased shortly.

What I would attempt to do is to run this same procedure from within the sql environment and try to capture the output of the procedure. That way you can check the amount of fields and data returned for each record.

Hope this helps.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Okay, but do you know what the limit is? 16k or 32k for 711? You mention 32k, but I am not sure if 711 has that as I read somewhere that it was increased to 32k in version 72.

I am unable to run the procedure when I pass a one field select list from WebFOCUS, but I think that is because the procedure itself isn't selecting 1 field... it selects many even if I want only 1.

Thank you... for your help. Your clarification made it easy to understand where the problem lies.

THANK YOU!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: slfmr,

Dev Studio - 7.6.6

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
My take is that the Master file (SQLOUT.MAS) that is produced along with the report, and describes the report so it can be used as a data source has summed up the length of all ACTUAL fields and this exceeds the minimum. Although a 1000 data fields can be in one MFD, the total of their lengths has a limit. Take some fields out and it will probably work.

Release 7.6.9
Windows
HTML

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
As far as I know, this limit of 32KB for the total length of all fields in a single request has been in place even before 7. I seem to recall it was somewhere between 51 and 53 that it was upped from 4KB to 32 KB.
I know for sure that in 53 this was 32 KB, because I got this error in that release when accessing an Oracle structure that went over that limit.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post