Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Dropdown using fex as input not poplulating

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Dropdown using fex as input not poplulating
 Login/Join

posted
I am using the html painter to build my self-serve page using a number of different form controls. When specifying a dropdown list with a fex as input, it works fine in my local environment, but produces nothing (empty list) in development. Using a master file as input produces the expected results in all environments.

I am using the fex as input in order to perform a sql passthru union operation on a list of names. There may be another way to achieve the desired output, but it seems to me the fex input should work outside the local environment.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-Jim

WebFOCUS 7.1.6 on Sun/Solaris (dev/qual/prod), Servlet running on WebLogic 9.2

Expert
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Are you using ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT XML ? The reason for this is the internal javascript parses the XML output looking for column C0 and C1. If it isn't in XML format then this process will not work. If you are not specifying XML then this will be your problem.

If this is not the problem then please post an example of your fex.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Jim Trying running the fex itself from the URL and see what results you get back. If nothing then there is something wrong with the development environment (connections, cannot find the focexec, etc...).

Scott

<JJI>
posted
Jim,

I think Texas is right. If it's working in your local environment than it should also work in your development environment. Check the application path on your reporting server. If the path setting is correct then you can try to find the error by putting -SET &ECHO=ALL; as the first line in your report. Run your application. When you get the error, rightclick the browser window en click "View source". At the end of the html code you will find (if the fex can be found) your WF code. Search for error message like masterfile cannot be found, DB cannot be reached, etc...

Hope this helps.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Here's what I've got:

Tony A. - the fex produced xml output even without the "FORMAT XML" specifier. I added that and still received the same blank output in development.

TexasStingray - running the fex from the url produces the expected xml output.

JJI - I include a standard error display fex in all my fexes that has the -SET ECHO=ALL; statement in it. Just to be sure, I added it to the fex that populates the dropdown. I've looked at the source for the html page but see nothing relating to fex error output. Am I missing something?

I'll follow this post with example code.

posted Hide Post
fex that is intended to populate a dropdown with a unique set of names derived from an application table:

-* File source_custodians.fex

-INCLUDE _errordisplay.fex
-INCLUDE _setoraserv.fex

SET EMPTYREPORT=ON

ENGINE SQLORA SET DEFAULT_CONNECTION &MYSERV
SQL SQLORA PREPARE SQLOUT FOR
select distinct p.snl_id, p.name custodian
from dvs.source_master sm, extcopy.person p
where sm.primary_custodian = p.snl_id
UNION
select distinct p.snl_id, p.name custodian
from dvs.source_master sm, extcopy.person p
where sm.alternate_custodian = p.snl_id
;
END

TABLE FILE SQLOUT
PRINT
SNL_ID
CUSTODIAN
BY CUSTODIAN NOPRINT
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT XML
END

posted Hide Post
HTML page generated by report painter. First dropdown uses the fex as dynamic input and produces nothing. Second dropdown uses master file as input and works. It is included to demonstrate one method that works.

It should be noted that when specifying a fex as dynamic input in the resource painter, no list is displayed to populate the Value and Display fields as you would get when specfying a master file.

Hope this displays properly:
< !-- Generated by Report Layout Painter -->
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<script id=IBI_OptionsScript type=text/javascript>
var rltVersion = "714";
var cgipath = "cgipath";
var ibirls = "ibirls2";
var multidrill = "multidrill";
var mntFormValidate = "mntFormValidate";
var dyncalendar = "dyncalendar";
var olap="olap";
var olappanebase="olappanebase";
var ibixmltree="ibixmltree";
var ibilangtrans="ibilangtrans";
var olapdrill="olapdrill";
var ibiOptions = new Array(cgipath,ibirls,mntFormValidate,ibilangtrans,dyncalendar,olap,olappanebase,olapdrill,multidrill);
</SCRIPT>

<script id=IBI_nls src="/ibi_html/javaassist/nls.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>

<script id=IBI_ibigbl src="/ibi_html/javaassist/ibi/html/js/ibigbl.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>

<script id=IBI_ibigblloadCss type=text/javascript>
ibigblloadCss(null);</SCRIPT>

<script id=IBI_RelCallBack type=text/javascript>function AdjustChildrenPosition(){
}
</SCRIPT>
<TITLE>HtmlPage
</TITLE>
<script id=clientEventHandlersJS type=text/javascript>
function window_onload() {
UpdateData();
// TODO: Add your event handler code here
}
</SCRIPT>

<script for=window eventname="onload">window.onload = function() { window_onload(); }</SCRIPT>
</HEAD>
<BODY style="OVERFLOW: auto">
<FORM id=form2 style="Z-INDEX: 2; LEFT: 81px; WIDTH: 465px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 85px; HEIGHT: 383px" tabIndex=2 name=form2 onsubmit="OnExecute[this);return false;" method=post form_prompt_location="1" form_number_of_visible_rows="4" form_number_of_columns="4" vert_dist_between_controls="10" form_hor_dist_between_controls="10" form_dist_between_desc_and_input="10">
<INPUT id=form2Submit style="Z-INDEX: 3; LEFT: 0px; BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url[/ibi_html/javaassist/ibi/html/describe/run16.gif); WIDTH: 38px; BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 356px; HEIGHT: 22px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: lavender" tabIndex=3 type=submit value=" " name=ITEM1>
<INPUT id=form2Reset style="Z-INDEX: 4; LEFT: 43px; BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url[/ibi_html/javaassist/ibi/html/describe/reset.gif); WIDTH: 38px; BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 356px; HEIGHT: 22px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: lavender" tabIndex=4 type=reset value=" " name=reset1>
<FIELDSET id=form2_formbodyid style="Z-INDEX: 5; LEFT: 5px; OVERFLOW: auto; WIDTH: 455px; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: none; BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: none; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 5px; HEIGHT: 343px; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: none" tabIndex=5 formbody="1">
<SELECT id=combobox1 style="Z-INDEX: 6; LEFT: 95px; WIDTH: 239px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 53px" tabIndex=6 name=combobox1 addalloption="1" ibiapp_app="dvs baseapp" ibic_server sourcetype="typeFex" datatype="1" datafield displayfield datasource="source_custodians.fex">
</SELECT>
<SELECT id=combobox2 style="Z-INDEX: 7; LEFT: 100px; WIDTH: 234px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 123px" tabIndex=7 name=combobox2 ibiapp_app="dvs baseapp" ibic_server datatype="1" datafield="TEST_REQUIREMENT_CD" displayfield="TEST_REQUIREMENT_DESC" datasource="test_requirement.mas" dfformat="A60V" ibiformat="A3V">
</SELECT>
</FIELDSET>
</FORM>
<INPUT id=ibiapp_app style="LEFT: -100px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: -100px" type=hidden value="dvs baseapp" name=ibiapp_app>
</BODY>
</HTML>

Expert
posted Hide Post
Ok Jim,

Having got past the normal hurdle that trips people up, the next step is to check what path is being searched. TS and Dirk are going along the right lines here but adding &ECHO =all willnot help as this process is run on the server and only XML is passed back to the browser window. You will not see any echoed output.

Have a look at the tag string generated by the painter and you will often see an attribute for "IBIAPP_app". If the fex that you are using to populate your combo box is held within your APP PATH then it is generally OK to remove this attribute. Otherwise you could change it to reflect the APP where the fex is located.

Check this out and let me know how you get on and I'll assist as required.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Tony - not sure where this suggestion was supposed to take me.

I removed the ibiapp_app references in the SELECT tags with no effect. I then removed the entire INPUT tag that referenced the ibiapp_app attribute and after which even the working master file populated dropdown broke.

Those were the only references to ibiapp_app in the provide html.

I'm still not grasping what is different about the local environment that allows the file to work there.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Only the IBIAPP_app attributes in the combo tag sets not the one in INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME=IBIAPP_app etc.

I am just away now but will reply again once I am home.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
starting from scratch I created a procedure to prodcue dropdown values and a procedure to produce a report.
Both of yours are probably OK, but let's cover all the bases.

Dropdown list -country.fex
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM COUNTRY
BY COUNTRY
ON TABLE SET HOLDLIST PRINTONLY
END

Report Fex -car.fex
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT CAR
BY COUNTRY
WHERE COUNTRY EQ '&COUNTRY'
END

I put these first on my local environment , EDASERVE, in baseapp folder. Then I created an HTML page with a list box to resolve &COUNTRY, changed the conrol property to dynamic, specified a fex, and selected country.fex (it is going to look in the app path of the local server). Run it an the list box populates - but you already got that far.
Then I copied BOTH the report fex and the dropdown fex to the test folder in my DEV environment and created an HTML page from scratch using the same steps as above. It works as well. The ONLY differences I can find in the way they are prepared are:

1. Any reference to the IBIC_server should change from EDASERVE (or whatever your servername is in your local environment) to the name of the server in your DEV environment
2. Any reference to ibiapp_app will also change if the app folders have different names between your local and DEV environments
3. make sure that both procedures exist in both environments

I also did this within MRE and the only differences were the additional hidden parameters associated with the mre domains and folders.
Last but not least, I copied the HTM file directly from local to DEV, making the changes describe above, and it works great.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I missed your earlier post containing the HTML - too rushed to look properly Frowner - and a quick scan suggests nothing immediate. The absence of a value for the ibic_server attribute is OK as the javascript in ibirls2 will issue the default of EDASERVE.

The concern is that it works in one environment and not another. Are you changing any code inbetween - I guess not. Do you have the same applications in each environment? Are your APP PATH settings identical in each? (Use APP SHOWPATH to check).

Put procedure traces on to ensure that the process is being executed OK and is returning the correct info.

You could also make a backup of ibirls2.js and then insert some alerts at stategic points to ascertain where the process is not performing but I would only recommend this if you know what you are doing.

Keep us posted with updates.

T

p.s. You could try adding the INPUT tag for IBIC_server to point at EDASERVE, it wouldn't hurt.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tony A,

In FOCUS
since 1986

<JJI>
posted
Tony, you're right setting the echo on will not make a difference if the output is xml. I didn't knew that at the time or I missed that some how?
I still believe that Jim's problem has to do with the App path.
Jim, follow the steps Darin described here and it should work! I can't think of anything else right now that could cause the problem.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Dirk,

True, that's why I suggest the procedure trace, it might show something.

I too think the problem is APP PATH related and hopefully Jim will tell us that there is a difference, although I have just noticed that he doesn't have an IBIC_server value in his HTML so have suggested adding one. I though that ibirls2.js defaulted this to EDASERVE but can't find the reference. The ibirls.js (previous version) actually defaulted to LOOPBACK and that's why I suggest the IBIC_server value.

As for Darin's process, that will be a good reference for people who haven't gone through the process, but I think that Jim has already achieved that in his initial set-up. The problem he is having is getting it to run in another app so the latter part is pertinent.

Jim, it's over to you....

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

posted Hide Post
Addressing the APP PATH question, here's the result from the APP SHOWPATH command in development:

0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE= 1 LINES= 1
dvs
dvs
baseapp
baseapp
icsprod
maximo
vsd
dvs
dosimetry
badgeworks
eshdwri
eshdw
ics
ewfo
ftms
pals
webshipper
ibisamp
baseapp

And the local environment:

dvs
dvs
baseapp
ibisamp
baseapp
dvs
baseapp

The application of interest here is "dvs", which does exist in both app paths.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Dropdown list -country.fex
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM COUNTRY
BY COUNTRY
ON TABLE SET HOLDLIST PRINTONLY
END

Created the above fex and referenced it in HTML Painter generated page and was able to succesfully populate the dropdown in both the local and development environments.

What does that say about my setup?

-Jim

Expert
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Compare the HTML tags for the two SELECTs and see where the fex is referenced in each. To locate the fex in each environment you must have been able to see it from the painter app.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986