Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] User name from Active Directory

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] User name from Active Directory
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
I guess (hope?) that a few sites around the globe are using MRE with MR Realm driver set against Active Directory. Well I'm hoping that one or more of you may have set about retrieving the User Name from AD.

I currently use the userid returned from the tried and tested UWS GETUSER (e.g.
-SET &USERID = GETUSER(USERID);
), but this is a tad user unfriendly.

I can return the Current Users detail and Domain listing into an XML document by using the URL - /ibi_apps/WFServlet?IBIMR_action=MR_GET_USER_DOMAINS&IBIMR_returntype=XML (providing the userid is logged in of course!). This returns data like -

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?> 
- <ibwfrpc name="MR_GET_USER_DOMAINS">
  <RETURN_TYPE_VERSION>1</RETURN_TYPE_VERSION> 
  <CURRENT_USER flgs="admin,,shared,savemyreport,dataserver,advanced,email=john.smith@somewhere"
 href="smithj.htm" name="smithj" desc="john smith" role="#MRAdministrator" /> 
- <MR_GET_USER_DOMAINS flgs="admin,,shared,savemyreport,dataserver,advanced,email=john.smith@somewhere"
 href="smithj.htm" name="smithj" desc="john smith" role="#MRAdministrator">
  <HREF href="untitled/untitled.htm" name="untitled" desc="Default Reporting Domain" /> 
  </MR_GET_USER_DOMAINS>
  <RETURNCODE>1000</RETURNCODE> 
  </ibwfrpc>

... but To utilise this data I need to return it to a file accessible via a fex.

Any ideas?

T

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Tony,

I assume you have implemented the configuration settings on page 6-12 of the WF7.1 Security and Administration Manual? Having done this, the IBIMR_user and IBIMR_domain information is available as amper vars. Not much help if you need all the information available from the repository for a given user, SORRY. The MR Realm API may be your best bet for that, but you would have to know more Java than I do.

Kevin

WF 7.6.10 / WIN-AIX

Posts: 141 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 09, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi tony,

i dont really know if this answers your question

but we declare pass these vars in the cgivars.wfs

like this :

IBIMR_action EQ "MR_SIGNON"
httpsession=_ibpass
CopyWFVarToSessionVar(IBIMR_pass,httpsession)

IBIC_user=&IBIMR_user
wfvar=IBIC_pass
httpsession=_ibpass
CopySessionVarToWFVar(httpsession,wfvar)

IBIWF_language(pass)
IBIMR_fex(pass)
IBIMR_domain(pass)
MR_FULL_FEXNAME(pass)

Hope it helps at least a bit

P.

D: WF 7.6.2 P. : WF 7.6.2 on W2003
------------------------------------------------------------------
I see myself as an intelligent, sensitive human, with the soul of a clown which forces me to blow it at the most important moments.

-Jim Morrison-

Posts: 206 | Registered: February 25, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
in addition

we also set the user in the edaprof

like this

-SET &USR = CNCTUSR('A8');

P.

I see myself as an intelligent, sensitive human, with the soul of a clown which forces me to blow it at the most important moments.

-Jim Morrison-

Expert
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your replies.

Kevin, Yes and got the T shirt, Smiler makes no diffirence to what I need though (or should I say what the managemnet would like to see Wink)

Pete, I had changed the site.wfs to provide this information, unfortunately it gives no more than the userid used to login with Frowner e.g. "smithj" instead of "John Smith".
The second reply is exactly what I use currently.

T

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tony A,

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi T.,

Just a thought , can't you just use the

SET &USR = CNCTUSR('A8');

and then in that same edaprof file ,use that &usr to retrieve the fullname with a sql passthru out of the active dir table , that you are probably using, and store that fullname in an amper?

P.

-Jim Morrison-

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Pete,

It would be nice to be able to do that, but as far as I know AD is not able to be accessed through SQL. I appreciate the suggestion though.

The method I use (as does Jodye) to access various MRE User related info is the MR_GET.... Java(?) functions build in by IB. This means that, irrespective of authentication / authorisation type, the method of retrieving MR User info is standard.

If you want a sample of how to retrieve this sort of info, then paste this url into a browser and insert your web server details - http://[your web server]/ibi_apps/WFServlet?IBIMR_action=MR_GET_USER_DOMAINS&IBIMR_returntype=XML

The xml output you will see is gleaned using the whatever authentication / authorisation method your site uses and is therefore consistant accros the board. The url given will list out the domains available to the current user signed in, however, if you replace the call with MR_GET_USERS it will retrieve all of the currently defined Users in what ever repository you use.

Using this process I can easily retrieve the data via a web page, hold it in a temporary XML file and process it to extract any piece of the data and build what ever controls I require. However, I am trying to find a method of getting this into a file from a fex so that I can then perform a READ operation upon it.

Still looking though ............

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Tony,

In the utlities/realm folder under webfocus71, I noticed that IBI uses vb scripting to load AD. Perhaps VB Script is the way to extract the data as well?

Kevin

WF 7.6.10 / WIN-AIX

Posts: 141 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 09, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Tony,

If you are on 7.13, LDAP is now available as a data adaptor. Maybe try to configure it and query the name directly from AD.

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Kevin,

That's true, if fact I have copied and modified the scripts to actually load the memberships for userids plus domain / group data but I hadn't thought of using a DOS call to VBS. The only problem that I might have on that front is that to create the membership within Groups and Roles I have to use the expanded name as the Userid kept failing Frowner. I might pursue that method though - thanks

Dhagen,

I didn't know that Good One. I suppose you can teach and old dog new tricks after all Big Grin. I bet it's an additional license though Mad

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hmmm ... LDAP data adapter. Unfortunately my Clients AD is rather complex and would require loads of MFDs and then some cumbersome code to locate the user. Plus, I'm not sure if there is additional cost for this adapter. If so, then that makes a non starter.

But, Moving forward ...

I now have a VB script that will extract the current userid's Full Name from AD and place it into a file. It creates a file username.txt in the edatemp folder that can be filedef'd easily.

Thank you to Pete, Kevin and DHagen for the prompting. Smiler

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi all,
I know it's a bit late but what i use is a DOS NET USER &IBIMR_user /DOMAIN | find "Full Name">userinfo.txt
Then i can FILEDEF and read the information with dialog manager or TABLE.
Best regards,
Mats
WebFOCUS for Windows 768

Mats Sundelin
Cybernetics Business Solutions AB

Posts: 31 | Location: Stockholm, sweden | Registered: January 19, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
... If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is ....

I just tried NET USER on my PC and it gave a list of all the users: Administrator, me, & Guest. I really just wanted it to show me as the active user. We don't use Managed Reporting. I guess I could validate it against a list somewhere that doesn't include Administrator or Guest ...

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post