Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     COBOL to FOCUS Translator

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
COBOL to FOCUS Translator
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,

I'm a Mainframe programmer and quite new to FOCUS. I've seen on this site and others, references to a utility that will convert a COBOL copybook to a FOCUS Master, but that's all I find... references to it's existence, never any details. Can someone provide more information?... such as how do I access and use it. We run our FOCUS as EXECs, so I'm looking to do this in a batch environment.

Thanks

Tom

FOCUS MF = v7.3.3
OS/390 VERSION = z/OS 01.07.00 HBB7720
MVS VERSION = SP7.0.7

Expert
posted Hide Post
Tom,

From memory, the translator was a premium (you had to pay) product that was out and about circa 1998 ish? Not sure that it is still available for the later releases.

best route is to call your local IB folks and ask them.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Official title Cobol FD Translator. Available for FOCUS on OS/390, was still going strong(?) 3 years ago.

For when you had many Cobol programs that described your data in VSAM or ISAM, it did make things easier than running through the COBOL file descriptor.

Docs are here.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Tom,

I believe that I have some simple routines for converting COBOL copybooks into WebFOCUS metadata. I used these back in the Y2K days when helping clients move to new ERP packages. I will have to dig through my archives to find them.

Since then, I have built several other types of conversion tools in case those are of value to you. I have a complete application suite for automatically convert FOCUS, NOMAD, QMF/SQL, and Oracle Portal into WebFOCUS. Development is in the works for a new feature for Crystal Reports, and we are also investigating Cognos Impromptu.

Send me an e-mail and let me know how best to contact you.

Sincerely,

Doug Lautzenheiser
General Manager, Partner Intelligence
4445 Lake Forest Drive, Suite 490
Cincinnati, OH 45242
DLautzenheiser@PartnerPS.com

Posts: 16 | Location: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: February 17, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Tom,
We use the CTF a lot at my work in both the batch and online mode. It makes reading sequential & VSAM files much easier.

The latest documentation that I have is located in the 'FOCUS for Mainframe Documentation - Version 7.3', in the Supplementary Documentation Set.

I remember that we got this back in the 80's as part of our the EDA purchase but am not sure if it was billable.

If it is installed at your site, you should be able to enter FOCUS via TSO and from the FOCUS prompt (>) enter 'EX CTF30'. Please note that sometimes it is CTF30n instead of just CTF.

Good Luck,
Michelle

WebFOCUS Production: UNIX 7.7.03M
WebFOCUS Test: UNIX EDASERVE 7.7.05 Client 8.0.01

Posts: 28 | Location: Connecticut USA | Registered: August 29, 2006Report This Post