Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Handling reports with record count >65K

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Handling reports with record count >65K
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
Hi,

We use FOCUS to produce reports on demand, i.e., whenever the report is required, it can be run online. Most of the time the reports contain more than 65K records, which when taken in a excel file gives error (as max record limit of excel will be crossed). Is there an in-built procedure in FOCUS to automatically break the report in various parts based on the number of record or what can be the best way to handle such situations.

FOCUS 7.2.3
Platform: IBM system Z9 Business class
O/P formats: Flat files, excel and CSV files

Posts: 39 | Location: Hyderabad, India | Registered: April 28, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
This can be one of the solutions.

You can use the command
on table pchold format exl2k bytoc

This command would give results in different tabs based on your first sort field.

Hope this helps

WF 7.1.4
Windows
Excel, Html, PDF

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Or if the company can afford it upgrade to office 2007, excel in it holds a lot more data. Of course that's not what anyone wants to hear. Is excel the required output method, bytoc sounds good, never used it myself.

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Then again ... I am always going to question why anyone would want a report with more than 65,000 records.

The job of a developer is to meet the user's requirements... their business requirements. The user often does not know the different ways data can be presented to them so they express their needs in terms of what they are comfortable with and it often doesn't make sense. We need to counsel them to find the most effective and efficient way of presenting the information to them.

What are they going to do with that 65000+ rows of data once they get it? Is there anyway we can further automate whatever processes they are doing and present them with concise pieces of information?

ttfn, kp

Access to most releases from R52x, on multiple platforms.

Posts: 346 | Location: Melbourne Australia | Registered: April 15, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I support Piipster's answer!

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Shrikant,

I also have this problem with my users. I have tried to provide summary reports wherever possible and nearly all our reports offer the option to run a detail or summary.

However the need to have such a large data extract is usually to meet a client request. They quite often want an extract of all orders for the last x months.

To prevent the report from producing an error message on load into Excel, I try to check the size of the data as it moves through the program. If the data is too large then I stop the processing and issue a message to the user letting them know that they will have to be more specific with their selections:

quote:

TABLE FILE ORDERS
PRINT
ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLD_1
END
-RUN

-* --------------------------------------------------------------------------
-* --- CHECK THAT RESULTS WILL NOT BE TOO LARGE FOR OUTPUT (IF DETAIL REPORT)

-IF &LINES GT 65000 AND &FUNC EQ 'PRINT' AND &WFFMT NE 'COMT' THEN GOTO ERR_VOLUME;

-* --- ERROR MESSAGES

-ERR_VOLUME
-HTMLFORM BEGIN
Number of lines being processed has exceeded the limit of 65,000.

Please be more specific with selections.

ALso before we enter the program, we try to validate the selections made as much as possible. For example, check that a date range supplied is not greater than 3 months etc.

WebFocus 765. iSeries v5r4

Posts: 175 | Location: England | Registered: April 11, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I tend to agree with Karen's questioning of the need of these large sheets.
But, on the other hand, I think there must be a serious demand for large(r) excel sheets, otherwise Microsoft would not have increased the capacity of Excel 2007 to maximally 1.000.000 rows.
And IF the client needs these large number of rows, then they will have to go to 2007, or maybe implement Mark's solution, possible amending it so that not an error message is given, but the result in html (not advisable) or PDF, or with the ODP enabled.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
The main reason for Microsoft to increase the capacity of Excel is that they tend to stop development of Access and they want Excel to be the front end database instead.

Frank

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
The BYTOC works well, it will break the report into separate sheets on your first BY field.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I had a client in 2005 who had an "excel database" which consisted of many spreadsheets. There's something about a spreadsheet that sarbenes-oxley doesn't like and gives database developers a little work to do.

If you're putting out 65,000 records, it's probably to be used as raw data for something else rather than an actual report. I would go three steps back and figure out exactly why they need all of this data...they may be developing their own graphs off of it in excel, or using a bunch of vlookup's and subtotaling to aggregate the data.

Just because I have yet to see a report of 65,000 rows of straight data doesn't mean it doesn't have a valid business solution, but the fact that they want it all in excel means that they are probably using some of the excel functionality to analyze your data, rather than simply learning webfocus or asking you to do it.

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.

Master
posted Hide Post
Here's another reason for this many rows. In our application we have an audit trail. It keep track of who read/inserted/updated/deleted data and when. Normally when this report is run, it is for a very specific date range, usually just a few days. I now have to run this report without time constraints which may very well cause a return of more than 65K rows in response to a law suit and a request for evidence.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
You can use this method also.

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT CAR COUNTRY MODEL
COMPUTE COUNTER/I7=COUNTER + 1; NOPRINT
COMPUTE WORKSHEET/I3=COUNTER/65000; NOPRINT
BY TOTAL WORKSHEET NOPRINT
BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K BYTOC
END

Note: This solution I got it from this forum long back and it works good.

Hope this helps,

WFConsultant

WF 8105M on Win7/Tomcat

Posts: 780 | Location: Florida | Registered: January 09, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Kamesh, this is a pretty good technique.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
It's a widely known fact that there is a huge dependency on Excel spreadsheets. Anyone who has been developing over the past decade (and before) knows this. A lot of this is because of the ease of use of spreadsheets. But, it has certainly caused it's share of headaches too.

The problem I have with this is that just because something was done a certain way all along, doesn't mean it was the best way. It's simply...the way it's always been done. I for one have to question why someone needs to have a report this large.

About 2 years ago, I had a discussion with a colleague of mine and he recalled a situation where he would receive a report once a month (paper version at that), that contained about 2000+ pages. Why? Because that was the solution that was implemented many many moons before. It doesn't make it right.

Information Management is more about the efficient presentation of information as needed, not to satisfy the warm and fuzzies of end users.

Obviously, there will be some who say there are exceptions. I always question anyone who says they need a specific amount of information at any given time. In fact, one of the first questions I always ask is, what business process is kickstarted by you seeing this piece of information? If they can't answer, they don't need it.

Some might view it as negative, but we need to be in the business of being the data gatherers and presenting the information that is required. Let the end users do what they're paid to do - to analyze the data and make business decisions based on what they see.

Requests for evidence might be a bit of a different story, an exception so to speak. But, generally, end users want to stick with what they feel comfortable with.

Just my two cents.

Prod - WF 7.6.4 Unix/Solaris - Self-Service, BI Dashboard, MRE
Dev - WF 7.6.4 Unix/Solaris - Self-Service, BI Dashboard, MRE
Databases: Oracle 10g, SQL Server 2000, DB2.

Posts: 177 | Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada | Registered: April 25, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Many times I see askers of this form of bulk data, that they feel uncertain when I suggest to build some reports to reduce this to a more handy report with drill downs and graphs.
It also comes sometimes into there their work field. Me and our small department make many others less important.
I have build several processes that gives the management the same info every day without the manual "hanky panky" that takes 2 or 3 hours every day.

Just a thought everyone will recognize.

Frank

Master
posted Hide Post
K.Lane. I totally agree with you. I fight the same battle daily. However, in this case, we had not choice unless we but to make another version of the program and produce .pdf instead of excel. My mgmt wanted excel.

Also, thanks to Kamesh, you technique worked great.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post