Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Report Caster Error

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Report Caster Error
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
I have a report procedure that executes fine from Dev Studio but, when I schedule the report in Report Caster, and click on the Advanced button in the New Task window of the New Schedule I get the following error:

ReportCaster Error

CHARGE_DEPT IS NOT A VALID COLUMN NAME.

This prevents me getting into the Advanced button and putting in my report parameters.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

7.6.8, Windows XP
Excel, PDF, Active HTML, HTML, PDF

Guru
posted Hide Post
Try setting DEFAULT values for all of your amper variables in the fex.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Unix Self-Service/MRE/Report Caster - Outputs Excel, PDF, HTML, Flat Files

Posts: 320 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: February 12, 2008Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Ok, I'm not sure how to do that? Can you send me an example?

7.6.8, Windows XP

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Here is an amper variable from Text Editor:

WHERE CHARGE_DEPT EQ '&DEPARTMENT.(FIND CHARGE_DEPT,CHARGE_DEPT IN nur_timecards).Department.';

What change would I have to make to set a default value?

7.6.8, Windows XP

Gold member
posted Hide Post
You would set this in the beginning of your procedure using Dialogue Manager. An example: -DEFAULT &BEGINDATE = '2010/01/01'

This is how I personally do it - I'm sure others may use -DEFAULTS or -DEFAULTH

WebFOCUS 7.7.03
Linux / Universe Db
HTML/PDF/EXCEL/HTML Active

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I tried the following in Dialogue Manager for my amper variables as suggested:

SET &ECHO=ALL;
-DEFAULT &DEPARTMENT = '01.701.1101000'
-DEFAULT &DATE_START = '2012-09-30'
-DEFAULT &DATE_END = '2012-10-13'

The report now has default values for my amper variables and still runs well from Dev Studio but, I still get the same error message when scheduling a new task for a new schedule.

7.6.8, Windows XP

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
SET &ECHO=ALL;
-DEFAULT &DEPARTMENT = '01.701.1101000'

quote:

ReportCaster Error
CHARGE_DEPT IS NOT A VALID COLUMN NAME.

I thought the error was for CHARGE_DEPT, you don't specify a default for that in your code that you pasted here, but you do a -DEFAULT &DEPARTMENT, your right hand is being confused by your left hand.

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I sent the last quote in error. Here is the code in the dialogue manager:

-SET &ECHO=ALL;
-DEFAULT &CHARGE_DEPT = '01.701.1101000'

7.6.8, Windows XP

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
so it's not &DEPARTMENT in the Where Statment?

it's CHARGE_DEPT EQ &CHARGE_DEPT?

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
It's not &DEPARTMENT in the Where Statement, it's CHARGE_DEPT EQ '&CHARGE_DEPT'

7.6.8, Windows XP

Master
posted Hide Post
It looks to me that what might be your problem is that we you run report from developer studio that you APP PATH might be different then when Report Caster trys to run the report. This can happen if the connection id used to connect to the report server is different when using developer studio vs report caster.

Scott

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
My connection id used to connect to the report server is the same when using developer studio vs report caster.

7.6.8, Windows XP

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
It looks like that caster doesn't think charge_dept is a valid field. You may want to try doing a check file on the master that you are using. Report caster may be finding an old master file for the table you are trying to report from. Even using the same ID report caster does not always seem to use the path that is set on the domain but the one that is set on the reporting server.

Webfocus 8.0.7 on Windows

Posts: 176 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 26, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Is "CHARGE_DEPT" a vaid field, available when running that fex in Dev Studio?

Suggestion: Ensure that the fex runs from within dev studio before considering ReportCaster (RC). Check "Prompt for parameters", which will force the Auto Prompting where you will provide values to you -DEFAULT'd variables. And, AFTER that works, move on over to RC.

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Report Caster doesn't use any site profile settings you may have. So even with the same user connecting to the reporting server, you can have a different effective path--one that gets the straight up path for the server, and another that gets the server path+any statements in a site profile.

You can check to make sure what path the report is using by adding

WHENCE MY_MFD_NAME MASTER

which tells it to tell you the disk path to the master file. Then compare the results of that from report caster (in the log) to when it's run from dev studio. An

APP SHOWPATH

might not hurt either.

WF: WebFocus 7.7.03
Data: Oracle, MSSQL, DB2
Output: HTML/AHTML,PDF,EXL2K FORMULA, COMT