Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED]Difference between TABLE and TABLEF

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED]Difference between TABLE and TABLEF
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hi All,

I leanred TABLEF is faster in data retrivel than TABLE command ....

1. What is the main dirrerence betweek thease?
2.What is the limitation when using the TABLEF instead of using TABLE ?

Thanks in Advance
Gobi

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Emily McAllister>,

WebFOCUS 7610
Windows

Posts: 121 | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Gobinath,
TABLEF does does not create the Internal Matrix which is usually in the file FOCSORT. Hence no sorting is done.
You can use BY's but sorting will not take place.
You cannot use ACROSS, nosplit, DST., EMPTYREPORT, RETYPE.
You cannot use multi-set requests.
However, when you just want to read a file and create a HOLD file, for example, it is very fast.
See also page 17-9 in the 7.6 manual.

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
You can use BY, but since there's no internal matrix the sorting has to be done by the RDMS. So no sorting on defined fields.

Test: WF 8.2
Prod: WF 8.2
DB: Progress, REST, IBM UniVerse/UniData, SQLServer, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Greenplum, Athena.

Posts: 454 | Location: Europe | Registered: February 05, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I am using TABLEF instead of TABLE in my focus program because i was getting error " (FOC920) FOCSORT EXCEEDED CURRENT PAGE LIMIT "
But now when i am using TABLEF ,I am getting below error
"(FOC037) THE REQUEST IS INCOMPATIBLE WITH TABLEF"
my program is like :

TABLEF FILE ARRP_BL
HEADING
-INCLUDE gnrphdr.fex
"CYCLE : "COMPANY : -*---"EXCHANGE : " "

SUM GLCODE AS 'ACCT, CODE ' IN 1
-* CATEGORY AS 'CATEGORY, CODE ' IN 12
CATCODE AS 'CATEGORY, CODE ' IN 10
CATDESC AS ' DESCRIPTION , ' IN 24
T_AMT AS ' TOTAL ' IN 49
B_AMT AS ' RECURRING , AMOUNT ' IN 65
P_AMT AS ' PARTIAL , AMOUNT ' IN 81
O_AMT AS ' ONE TIME , AMOUNT ' IN 95
U_AMT AS ' USAGE , AMOUNT ' IN 109
NO_MSGS AS ' # OF, MESSAGES' IN 123

BY DUMMY NOPRINT
BY CYCLE NOPRINT
BY COMPANY NOPRINT
BY NPA_NXX NOPRINT NOSPLIT PAGE-BREAK
BY GLCODE NOPRINT
BY CATEGORY NOPRINT
BY CATCODE NOPRINT
-*--BY CATDESC NOPRINT
-*-

Kindly suggest asap

quote:
Originally posted by Danny-SRL:
Gobinath,
TABLEF does does not create the Internal Matrix which is usually in the file FOCSORT. Hence no sorting is done.
You can use BY's but sorting will not take place.
You cannot use ACROSS, nosplit, DST., EMPTYREPORT, RETYPE.
You cannot use multi-set requests.
However, when you just want to read a file and create a HOLD file, for example, it is very fast.
See also page 17-9 in the 7.6 manual.

WebFOCUS 8
Unix, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
reena,

hard to tell.

There is some functionality that can't be ( e.g. unsupported ) handled by TABLEF.

Two main suspects : NOPRINT and IN n
[ or whatever there is in the rest of the TABLE request and -INCLUDE ]

What happens if you leave out all that?

Posts: 668 | Location: Veghel, The Netherlands | Registered: February 16, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Reena,
Welcome to the Forum!
When you show code please use the < / > icon. You then put your code between the generated CODE tags.
As for your problem, it is most probably the NOSPLIT you use in

BY NPA_NXX NOPRINT NOSPLIT PAGE-BREAK

Try without it.
Is your output PDF? If not the IN will be ignored.

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Danny-SRL,

I tried after removing NOSPLIT but it is increasing no of output reports.
Suppose my output is 3 reports with NOSPLIT command but after remove this i get 6 output reports.This is because NOSPLIT determines if the total number of lines related to the new value can fit on the current page. If they cannot, the page breaks and the group of lines appear on the next page.

My output is .layout file.

WebFOCUS 8
Unix, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
" (FOC920) FOCSORT EXCEEDED CURRENT PAGE LIMIT "

Go back and see what you can do to avoid that limit.
I shouldn't be reached unless you have a mammoth number of rows (distinct combinations of the sort fields DUMMY ... CATCODE), and/or a mammoth-size record (any A4095's among the sort and verb-object fields?)

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Simple, basic first step for syntax and other WebFOCUS information and explanations, check out the ol' F1 for TABLE FILE command and TABLEF FILE command.

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Can anyone explain me how FOCSORT works and where is located in file ststem.
What it does ?

WebFOCUS 8
Unix, All Outputs