Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     (FOC1517) UNRECOGNIZED COMMAND -*

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
(FOC1517) UNRECOGNIZED COMMAND -*
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hi Guys

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES BY COUNTRY
END

the fex works but we see the (FOC1517) UNRECOGNIZED COMMAND -* line in the output.

Also, I cannot use Dev Studio Report Painter because I get ERROR PARSING MASTER FILE CAR (FOC1517) UNRECOGNIZED COMMAND -*

I have already looked in EDASPROF for a bad line but it seems ok.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jodye

Posts: 246 | Location: Montreal, QC, Canada | Registered: October 01, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I got that once when I had the '-*' coded on a line that was '-********************'
Took of the extra '*' and it went away.

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
"ERROR PARSING MASTER FILE CAR (FOC1517) UNRECOGNIZED COMMAND -*"

Apparently you have a "comment" line starting with -* (instead of $), in the copy of car.mas (or MASTER(CAR) or CAR MASTER *) that the server is using.

"WHENCE CAR MASTER"
should reveal where the offending mfd is located.

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi

Leah do you mean in EDASPROF? I made sure that it is fine. All comments are like this ...

Jack... Maybe I wasnt clear... this happens with EVERY master file. And if you look at the master files they are perfect. It must be coming from a config file somwehere...

Thanks guys

Jodye

Posts: 246 | Location: Montreal, QC, Canada | Registered: October 01, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
No, my problem was within a fex itself, we are testing 5.3.4 now, it happened in 5.3.3 and I just changed fex to keep it from happening. There was no space between the '-*' and the next '*' in the fex.

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Leah

Ok I see. that doesn't apply to us. There are no comments at all in the fex.

Jodye

Expert
posted Hide Post
Jodye,

What version are you running and from where are you running it (i.e. Dev Studio or MRE / BID)?

Try turning on tracing to capture the process. If you have a problem decyphering the trace then let me know and I'll assist if I can.

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
We had a similar problem and were getting the FOC1517 when using Servlet, once we changed to CGI the error went away. This was happening in Developer Studio working in the Projects area.

Good Luck!
Carol

Posts: 428 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hello Tony and Carol

The problem happens everywhere.

This is from an agent trace, does this mean anything to you...

18.13.28 AI nwsig: ngput buf before NLS l=40 MS (FOC1517) UNRECOGNIZED COMMAND -*
18.13.28 AS NGtrEvnt: len=40, OPFSIGNAL - "MS (FOC1517) UNRECOGNIZED COMMAND -*"

Expert
posted Hide Post
Jodye,

What platform and O/S are you running? From the two lines of trace I would hazard a guess Windows or some sort?
Also what release of WebFOCUS?

If you would like me to look through the trace then PM me and I'll tell you where to send it (e-mail).

Failing that it might help to see the lines before and after the above section for about 50 lines either way - 100 lines or there abouts (providing it doesn't have sensitive data within it).

You might also consider enabling a procedure trace via the wfconsole.htm. Just add a filename into the parm SAVE_FEX under Configuration/Client Settings/General. No need to recycle the server. To view it, look under Diagnostics/Traces/Procedure Traces.

Regards

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tony. I have already got IBI support in New York looking at all kinds of traces. So far they have no idea what is causing the

(FOC1517) UNRECOGNIZED COMMAND -*

We do know that it is client side only. It does not appear if I run something from Web Console.

I will let you know if they ever figue it out.