Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Passing the right static value with trailing blanks

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Passing the right static value with trailing blanks
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I'm using developer studio to create an amper variable (&BU) that uses a list of static values based on an A12 field (BUSINESS_UNIT). In the Dev Studio variable editor, I select "multiselect OR", "Static List", and "Values for field". After selecting my value, they all show with the "trailing blanks". However, when I run my report and get the prompt page, the static values from my list no longer show the trailing spaces. The report shows zero records when I make a selection and run it. The code created by Dev Studio variable editor is below:

b=blanks

WHERE BUSINESS_UNIT EQ &BU.(OR(<bbbbbbbbbbbb3,bbbbbbbbbbbb3>,<bbbbbbbbbbbb6,bbbbbbbbbbbb6>,<bbbbbbbbbb22,bbbbbbbbbb22>)).BUSINESS_UNIT.;

After running the report, the WHERE clause shows '3' instead of 'bbbbbbbbbbb3':

WHERE J0.F0101.BUSINESS_UNIT EQ '3';

I am looking for a resolution using Dev Studio. Thanks

Luiz

WF 7.6.10

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Posts: 117 | Location: Denver | Registered: July 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
See if you can use the ASIS function in your request. From the manual:

The ASIS function prevents the source character string from being converted into numeric format when it is used in Dialog Manager and consists of numeric characters and blanks.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Darin,

Can you provide me with an example? I've tried "AS IS" in my WHERE clause, but the auto prompt still shows the values without the trailing spaces, and the selected values don't bring up any data. Thanks

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
ASIS (not AS IS) is a function that is recognized by Dialogue Manager in evaluating &variables. There are examples in the documentation.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Darin,

I believe the issue is with the auto prompt, which is passing the values for my Business Unit (A12) without the trailing spaces. So if I run it for BU EQ '___________3', the WF auto-prompt shows '3', and that what's been passed to my WHERE BU_FIELD EQ &BU clause. See source below (after running fex). Thanks

TABLE FILE F0301
PRINT
'J0.F0101.ALPHA_NAME'
'J1.F0116.ADDRESS_LINE_1'
'J1.F0116.ADDRESS_LINE_2'
'J1.F0116.CITY'
'J1.F0116.STATE'
'J1.F0116.POSTAL_CODE'
'J0.F0101.CREDIT_MESSAGE' AS 'Credit,Msg'
'F0301.F0301.TEMPORARY_CREDIT_MESSAGE' AS 'Temp,Credit Msg'
'J0.F0101.SEARCH_TYPE'
'J0.F0101.BUSINESS_UNIT'
BY 'F0301.F0301.ADDRESS_NUMBER'
HEADING
"Customer AB by Resp Business Units (Excluding CS Accounts)"
"Report AsOf <+0>Jul 16, 2010 <+0> "
" "
WHERE ( J0.F0101.SEARCH_TYPE EQ 'CS' OR 'C' );
WHERE J0.F0101.BUSINESS_UNIT EQ '3';

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Did you try ASIS? Your evaluation of what is happening is entirely correct. The problem is that when using Dialogue Manager, if all non-blank characters are numeric, it interprets the value as a number and removes all leading/trailing blanks. The ASIS function forces DM to retain those blanks and treat the variable value as an alpha string.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Darin,

I was able to fix it by creating a -SET &BU = ASIS(businesUnitfield); Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Luiz