Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Flex enable controls passing parms to fex

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Flex enable controls passing parms to fex
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
Hi all,

I posted a question a few weeks back that is related to this, but I'm trying a different approach so I thought I should start a new thread.

In the documentation it's easy to call a fex and populate a datagrid, then make controls that filer the data. But I have too much data to call everytime.

So I'm trying to figure out how to filter BEFORE populating the datagrid. I'd like to have two controls that each pass a parm to the fex to limit what goes into the datagrid. So the three controls (two filtering controls and one datagrid) would work together to populate the datagrid which would then act as an ibiParent to my charts.

I can't find any documentation on how to do this. Anyone know what properties to fill in to create these default parms?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Joy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

7.7.2, Windows, html

Posts: 34 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: September 03, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Joy,

You can use 'ibiUrlParms' on the datagrid to pass the parameters. Something like:

ibiUrlParms="PARM1={cbox1.value},PARM2={cbo2.value}

When you want to reload the datagrid with new values from your parameters set up a actionscript function that reloads the datagrid:

IBICANVAS01.reloadData("yourGrid","");

Bob

Prod: WebFocus/ReportCaster 7.6.10 - Self Service - Windows 2003 Server - IIS/Tomcat

Test: WebFocus/ReportCaster 7.6.10 - Self Service - Windows 2003 Server - IIS/Tomcat

Databases: MS SQL Server, Focus DB, Output: HTML, Excel 2000 and PDF

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Is this documented anywhere? I couldn't find anything on passing parms from flex.

7.7.2, Windows, html

Posts: 34 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: September 03, 2010Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
A

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Joy_Jacques,

7.7.2, Windows, html

posted Hide Post
If I understand what you are trying to do, I don't think you have your -SET correct. It should be more like the following:

-DEFAULT &PRODYR = 0;
-DEFAULT &MYPRODYEARPARMFROMFLEX = 0;
-SET &PRODYR = IF &PRODYR EQ 0 THEN 2010 ELSE (&MYPRODYEARPARMFROMFLEX);

I'm assuming the MYPRODYEARPARMFROMFLEX is a parameter from one of the controls in the Flex application. If you passed that on the ibiUrlParms parameter when it gets passed to WebFocus it will come in as an amper variable, so in the fex you would use &MYPRODYEARPARMFROMFLEX.

For debugging purposes you might also want to add an 'ibiMsgWindow' to your ibi canvas, and when the Flex application loads your datagrid it will echo the http call it makes into the window. You can then copy the url call out of the window and make sure it's working first.

Prod: WebFocus/ReportCaster 7.6.10 - Self Service - Windows 2003 Server - IIS/Tomcat

Test: WebFocus/ReportCaster 7.6.10 - Self Service - Windows 2003 Server - IIS/Tomcat

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, thanks. We fixed that after I posted it. I tried to pull down my question, but you probably got an email.

I'm still working through my flex app, but the code you sent me was what I needed to get started.

Joy

7.7.2, Windows, html

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
OK, I have most everything working now, but I can't get my dataGrid to reload.

I have four ibiList controls and one comboBox control that allows the users to pick the data they want to see. I've created a dataGrid to put that filtered data into to make my charts. I have a button control to click to refresh the dataGrid, but nothing is happening. Here's my code:

//creating vars to hold filters and putting in default values.
var selectedProduct:String="2-Wheel Tractors";
var selectedOERegion:String="Western Europe";
var selectedDate:String="2011";

protected function btnChart_clickHandler(event:MouseEvent):void {
// put the selected data into string vars and display on page.
txtSegment.text=listSegment.selectedItems.toString();
txtApplication.text=listApplication.selectedItems.toString();
selectedProduct=listProduct.selectedItems.toString();
txtProduct.text=selectedProduct;
selectedDate=cbDate.selectedLabel;
txtDate.text=selectedDate;
selectedOERegion=listRegion.selectedItems.toString();
lblRegion.text=selectedOERegion;

//put new data into grid to feed charts.
mainCanvas.reloadData("filteredData","PRODYR={selectedDate},SELPROD={selectedProduct},SELOEREGION={selectedOERegion}");

}

I'm not sure why there are two ibiCanvas objects, but it shouldn't matter. I've tried the reload command on both, but nothing refreshes. If I put the parms on the dataGrid like this:

//angle brackets removed to show code.
ibi:ibiDataGrid x="411" y="222" width="547" id="filteredData" seturl="[path]" visible="true" ibiUrlParms="PRODYR={selectedDate},SELPROD={selectedProduct},SELOEREGION={selectedOERegion}"

Then they load correctly at the start, but it still doesn't refresh when the data is changed and the button clicked. I put the labels on the page so I can see that the variables are being set to the correct new value when the button is clicked.

Any thoughts? I feel like I'm missing something easy that I should be seeing.

Thanks!
Joy

7.7.2, Windows, html

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I see I have a warning that is telling me

data binding will not be able to detect assignments to "my variable"

So that's probably why it's not changing. I'm googling the warning and will post what I find.

7.7.2, Windows, html

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Made my variables Bindable and now the error goes away, but the grid is still not reloading.

[Bindable]protected var selectedProduct:String="2-Wheel Tractors";
[Bindable]protected var selectedOERegion:String="Western Europe";
[Bindable]protected var selectedDate:String="2011";

7.7.2, Windows, html

posted Hide Post
try adding after this line:
lblRegion.text....

filteredData.ibiUrlParms="PRODYR=" + selectedData + ",SELPROD=" + selectedProduct + ",SELOEREGION=" + selectedOERegion;

mainCanvas.reloadData("filteredData","");

Also on the filteredData mxml add the the property ibiAddRandom="true" This will add a random number to the url call each time and prevent caching issues.

I'm not sure what issues would be caused by having multiple IBI canvas objects, I would remove the extra one.

Bob

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Did this and grid is still not reloading. I'm going to take out the extra canvas and try that.

Thanks for your help!

7.7.2, Windows, html

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Bob,

I removed the additional canvas and still get no reload on the dataGrid. I can load the parms when the app first starts, or leave the parms off and have an empty dataGrid. But either way the dataGrid will not reload when I click my button.

Here's my entire mxml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml" layout="absolute" minWidth="955" minHeight="600" xmlns:ibi="http://www.informationbuilders.com" width="1000" height="1000">

<mx:Script>
< ![CDATA[
//not using all these imports right now
import mx.charts.HitData;
import mx.charts.chartClasses.IAxis;
import mx.charts.events.ChartItemEvent;
import mx.collections.ArrayCollection;
import mx.collections.ICollectionView;
import mx.collections.Sort;
import mx.collections.SortField;
import mx.controls.Alert;
import mx.controls.DataGrid;
import mx.controls.HSlider;
import mx.controls.List;
import mx.controls.dataGridClasses.DataGridColumn;
import mx.core.IUIComponent;
import mx.events.ListEvent;
import mx.events.SliderEvent;

[Bindable]protected var selectedProduct:String="2-Wheel Tractors";
[Bindable]protected var selectedOERegion:String="Eastern Europe";
[Bindable]protected var selectedDate:String="2008";

//protected var fexString:String;

protected function btnChart_clickHandler(event:MouseEvent):void
{
txtSegment.text=listSegment.selectedItems.toString();
txtApplication.text=listApplication.selectedItems.toString();
selectedProduct=listProduct.selectedItems.toString();
txtProduct.text=selectedProduct;
selectedDate=cbDate.selectedLabel;
txtDate.text=selectedDate;
selectedOERegion=listRegion.selectedItems.toString();
txtRegion.text=selectedOERegion;
filteredData.ibiUrlParms="PRODYR=" + selectedDate +
",SELPROD=" + selectedProduct +
",SELOEREGION=" + selectedOERegion;

mainCanvas.reloadData("filteredData","");

}

]]>
</mx:Script>
<ibi:ibiCanvas id="mainCanvas" height="1000" width="1000" x="0" y="0">
<ibi:ibiDataGrid x="39" y="421" width="547" id="mainData" seturl="http://v-devserver03/ibi_apps/WFServlet?IBIMR_domain=commonfi%2Fcommonfi.htm&IBIMR_action=MR_RUN_FEX&IBIMR_sub_action=MR_STD_REPORT&IBIMR_fex=app%2Fdashboard.fex&IBIF_ex=app%2Fdashboard.fex&IBIMR_flags=&IBIMR_folder=%23commonrpttot" visible="false"/>
<ibi:ibiDataGrid x="411" y="222" width="547" id="filteredData" seturl="http://v-devserver03/ibi_apps/WFServlet?IBIMR_domain=commonfi%2Fcommonfi.htm&IBIMR_action=MR_RUN_FEX&IBIMR_sub_action=MR_STD_REPORT&IBIMR_fex=app%2Fdashdefault.fex&IBIF_ex=app%2Fdashdefault.fex&IBIMR_flags=&IBIMR_folder=%23commonrpttot" ibiAddRandom="true" visible="true" ibiUrlParms="PRODYR={int[selectedDate)},SELPROD={selectedProduct},SELOEREGION={selectedOERegion}"/>
<ibi:ibiList x="10" y="48" id="listSegment" ibiParent="mainData" ibiColumn="SEGMENT" ibiFilterAble="true" ibiFilterShowALL="false"/>
<ibi:ibiList x="208" y="48" id="listApplication" ibiColumn="APPLICATION" ibiFilterParent="listSegment" ibiParent="mainData" ibiFilterAble="true" ibiFilterShowALL="false"/>
<ibi:ibiList x="411" y="48" id="listProduct" ibiColumn="PRODUCT" ibiFilterParent="listApplication" ibiParent="mainData" ibiFilterShowALL="false"/>
<ibi:ibiList x="206" y="247" id="listRegion" ibiParent="mainOEMRegion" ibiFilterAble="true" ibiColumn="OEMREGION" ibiFilterShowALL="false" ibiFilterValsReverse="true" ibiSortValues="true"/>
<ibi:ibiDataGrid x="609" y="72" id="mainOEMRegion" seturl="http://v-devserver03/ibi_apps/WFServlet?IBIMR_domain=commonfi%2Fcommonfi.htm&IBIMR_action=MR_RUN_FEX&IBIMR_sub_action=MR_STD_REPORT&IBIMR_fex=app%2Ffexoemregion.fex&IBIF_ex=app%2Ffexoemregion.fex&IBIMR_flags=&IBIMR_folder=%23commonrpttot" visible="false"/>
<ibi:ibiDataGrid x="627" y="421" seturl="http://v-devserver03/ibi_apps/WFServlet?IBIMR_domain=commonfi%2Fcommonfi.htm&IBIMR_action=MR_RUN_FEX&IBIMR_sub_action=MR_STD_REPORT&IBIMR_fex=app%2Ffexdate.fex&IBIF_ex=app%2Ffexdate.fex&IBIMR_flags=&IBIMR_folder=%23commonrpttot" id="mainDate" visible="false"/>
<ibi:ibiComboBox x="10" y="248" ibiParent="mainDate" ibiColumn="PRODUCTIONYEAR" ibiFilterAble="true" id="cbDate" ibiFilterShowALL="false"/>
<mx:Button x="411" y="381" label="Chart it" id="btnChart" click="btnChart_clickHandler[event)"/>
<mx:Label x="72" y="22" text="Segment" id="txtSegment"/>
<mx:Label x="281" y="22" text="Application" id="txtApplication"/>
<mx:Label x="465" y="22" text="Product" id="txtProduct"/>
<mx:Label x="60" y="222" text="Date" id="txtDate"/>
<mx:Label x="260" y="222" text="Region" id="txtRegion"/>
<mx:Label x="10" y="22" text="Segment" id="lblSegment" fontWeight="bold"/>
<mx:Label x="208" y="22" text="Application" id="lblApplication" fontWeight="bold"/>
<mx:Label x="411" y="22" text="Product" id="lblProduct" fontWeight="bold"/>
<mx:Label x="10" y="222" text="Date" id="lblDate" fontWeight="bold"/>
<mx:Label x="208" y="222" text="Region" id="lblRegion" fontWeight="bold"/>
<mx:Panel x="10" y="413" width="627" height="524" layout="absolute" title="OEM Model Brand">
<ibi:ibiColumnChart left="0" top="0" bottom="0" right="0" id="colModel" ibiParent="dataGroup" ibiGroupBy="OEMMODELBRAND" ibiUseFiltered="true" ibiXField="OEMMODELBRAND" ibiYField="Sum.PRODUCTIONQUANTITYBYYEAR" fontSize="10" visible="false"/>
<ibi:ibiBarChart id="barModel" ibiGroupBy="OEMMODELBRAND" ibiParent="filteredData" ibiUseFiltered="true" ibiXField="Sum.PRODUCTIONQUANTITYBYYEAR" top="0" left="0" bottom="0" right="0" ibiDelayLoad="true" ibiYField="OEMMODELBRAND"/>
</mx:Panel>
<mx:Panel x="645" y="413" width="345" height="285" layout="absolute" title="By Region">
<ibi:ibiPieChart left="-21" top="33" bottom="39.816345" right="127" id="pieRegion" ibiParent="filteredData" ibiGroupBy="OEMREGION" ibiUseFiltered="true" ibiField="Sum.PRODUCTIONQUANTITYBYYEAR" ibiNameField="OEMREGION" showDataTips="true"/>
<ibi:ibiLegend x="167" y="5" width="158" height="245" id="pieRegionLegend" ibiParent="pieRegion" fontSize="6" direction="vertical">
</ibi:ibiLegend>
</mx:Panel>

</ibi:ibiCanvas>

</mx:Application>

Here's my fex:

-DEFAULT &PRODYR = 2008;
-SET &PRODYR = IF(&PRODYR EQ 2008) THEN (&DATEYY) ELSE(&PRODYR);

-DEFAULT &SELPROD = '2-Wheel Tractors';
-SET &SELPROD = IF(&SELPROD EQ '2-Wheel Tractors') THEN ('2-Wheel Tractors') ELSE(&SELPROD);

-DEFAULT &SELOEREGION = 'Western Europe';
-SET &SELOEREGION = IF(&SELOEREGION EQ 'Western Europe') THEN ('Western Europe') ELSE(&SELOEREGION);

TABLE FILE OELINKV2
SUM
PRODUCTIONQUANTITYBYYEAR

BY SEGMENT
BY APPLICATION
BY PRODUCT
BY OEMMODELBRAND
BY OEMREGION
BY PRODUCTIONYEAR

WHERE PRODUCTIONYEAR EQ &PRODYR;
WHERE PRODUCT EQ &SELPROD.QUOTEDSTRING;
WHERE OEMREGION EQ &SELOEREGION.QUOTEDSTRING;

ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT XML
END

I put in defaults and matched them to see if the data changes when the app runs, and it does. The mxml file sets the region to Eastern Europe and that is what is displayed if I use the ibiUrlParms property of the dataGrid. The fex runs fine on its own too. I can pass different data in and it will change.

Any other thoughts? I really appreciate your help.
Joy

7.7.2, Windows, html

posted Hide Post
Try adding a ibiMsgWindow to your canvas and set the ibiMaxLines property for it to around 500. And then review the output in the window after you click the button that should reload the fex.

Do this just to make sure the fex is getting re-executed.

Bob

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
[11:46:27.828] initApp: entered
[11:46:27.843] App url: http://v-devserver03/ibi_apps/...m=0.0712280474819939
[11:46:27.843] Getting custom parameters
[11:46:27.843] Custom parameter: IBIMR_domain = commonfi/commonfi.htm
[11:46:27.843] Custom parameter: IBIMR_fex = app/newdashboard.swf
[11:46:27.843] Custom parameter: IBIMR_sub_action = MR_OTHER_SECTION
[11:46:27.843] Custom parameter: IBIMR_action = MR_RUN_FEX
[11:46:27.843] Custom parameter: IBIMR_Random = 0.0712280474819939
[11:46:27.843] App lauanched from http://v-devserver03
[11:46:27.843] initApp: exited
[11:46:27.843] fetch data from source: http://v-devserver03/ibi_apps/...lder=%23commonrpttot
[11:46:27.843] Fetching Data
[11:46:27.843] Sending request
[11:46:27.859] fetch data from source: http://v-devserver03/ibi_apps/...2011&SELPROD=2-Wheel Tractors&SELOEREGION=Eastern Europe&Rand=77547
[11:46:27.859] Fetching Data
[11:46:27.859] Sending request
[11:46:27.875] fetch data from source: http://v-devserver03/ibi_apps/...lder=%23commonrpttot
[11:46:27.875] Fetching Data
[11:46:27.875] Sending request
[11:46:27.875] fetch data from source: http://v-devserver03/ibi_apps/...lder=%23commonrpttot
[11:46:27.875] Fetching Data
[11:46:27.875] Sending request
[11:46:28.328] Processing Data
[11:46:28.328] processing xml
[11:46:28.343] processing columns
[11:46:28.343] processing rows
[11:46:28.343] processing xml done
[11:46:28.343] ibiDataSource: loading ibiDataSource_replace_mainOEMRegion_seturl
[11:46:28.343] ibiDataSource: loading ibiDataSource_replace_mainOEMRegion
[11:46:28.359] ibiDataGrid: mainOEMRegion loading data from: ibiDataSource_replace_mainOEMRegion
[11:46:28.421] Processing Data
[11:46:28.421] processing xml
[11:46:28.421] processing columns
[11:46:28.421] processing rows
[11:46:28.421] processing xml done
[11:46:28.421] ibiDataSource: loading ibiDataSource_replace_filteredData_seturl
[11:46:28.421] ibiDataSource: loading ibiDataSource_replace_filteredData
[11:46:28.421] ibiDataGrid: filteredData loading data from: ibiDataSource_replace_filteredData
[11:46:28.421] ibiDataSource: loading ibiChartAutomaticAggregation_DataSource_barModel
[11:46:28.421] Doing Agg with 1 by fields
[11:46:28.421] aggregate end
[11:46:28.421] Doing Agg with 1 by fields
[11:46:28.421] aggregate end
[11:46:28.421] style nodes number 0
[11:46:28.437] style nodes number 0
[11:46:28.437] ibiDataSource: loading ibiChartAutomaticAggregation_DataSource_pieRegion
[11:46:28.437] Doing Agg with 1 by fields
[11:46:28.437] aggregate end
[11:46:28.437] Doing Agg with 1 by fields
[11:46:28.437] aggregate end
[11:46:29.578] Processing Data
[11:46:29.578] processing xml
[11:46:29.578] processing columns
[11:46:29.578] processing rows
[11:46:29.578] processing xml done
[11:46:29.578] ibiDataSource: loading ibiDataSource_replace_mainData_seturl
[11:46:29.578] ibiDataSource: loading ibiDataSource_replace_mainData
[11:46:29.578] ibiDataGrid: mainData loading data from: ibiDataSource_replace_mainData
[11:46:29.875] Processing Data
[11:46:29.875] processing xml
[11:46:29.875] processing columns
[11:46:29.875] processing rows
[11:46:29.875] processing xml done
[11:46:29.875] ibiDataSource: loading ibiDataSource_replace_mainDate_seturl
[11:46:29.875] ibiDataSource: loading ibiDataSource_replace_mainDate
[11:46:29.875] ibiDataGrid: mainDate loading data from: ibiDataSource_replace_mainDate
Clicked button here
[11:46:36.546] fetch data from source: http://v-devserver03/ibi_apps/...2011&SELPROD=2-Wheel Tractors&SELOEREGION=Eastern Europe&Rand=55132
[11:46:36.546] Fetching Data
[11:46:36.546] Sending request
[11:46:36.921] Processing Data
[11:46:36.921] processing xml
[11:46:36.921] processing columns
[11:46:36.921] processing rows
[11:46:36.921] processing xml done
[11:46:36.921] ibiDataSource: loading ibiDataSource_replace_filteredData_seturl
[11:46:36.921] ibiDataSource: loading ibiDataSource_replace_filteredData
[11:46:36.921] ibiDataGrid: filteredData loading data from: ibiDataSource_replace_filteredData
[11:46:36.921] ibiDataSource: loading ibiChartAutomaticAggregation_DataSource_barModel
[11:46:36.921] Doing Agg with 1 by fields
[11:46:36.921] aggregate end
[11:46:36.921] style nodes number 0
[11:46:36.921] ibiDataSource: loading ibiChartAutomaticAggregation_DataSource_pieRegion
[11:46:36.921] Doing Agg with 1 by fields
[11:46:36.921] aggregate end

7.7.2, Windows, html

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
It's truncating my seturl. I'll see if I can get it to come in correctly.

One thing about the seturl value is that there may be missing ' quotes around the values. and there are spaces in my values.

I'm going to set the data to values that have no spaces and see if that has any effect

7.7.2, Windows, html

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
It's sending the same data. The values aren't getting overwritten. The ticks won't be an issue till I solve this.

Thanks for the code to put in an output window. I'll work through it.

7.7.2, Windows, html

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I'm getting null values for the strings and 0 for the integer.
[12:21:34.46] fetch data from source: http://v-devserver03/ibi_apps/...GION=null&Rand=80207

I think I can get this now. It's got to be a scoping issue. I can't get the code to display without truncating, but the null is visible.

Thanks. I'll post when I get it working.

7.7.2, Windows, html

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I worked on this all afternoon. I could not get the ibiUrlParms property to update when the button was clicked.

I talked to ibi support and they thought there was a bug, so they had me add this line in my code:

filteredData._ibids.ibiUrlParms=filteredData.ibiUrlParms;

This is what they told me:
"This is temporary solution because it includes the property with the underscore, which is our internal property that should not be accessed in general, as the functionality may change in the future.
We should be able to fix the issue in the next hotfix build so you won’t need the work around in the future works correctly."

But it is finally working.

Bob, thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Joy

7.7.2, Windows, html