Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] format..?
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hi all,
i am displaying the values related to a particular field as $434,000..etc but some of them are displayed as ($65,000).i want to know why some of the values are displayed in brackets and others are not in brackets.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

windows
PDF,EXCEL.

Posts: 160 | Location: Atlanta,GA | Registered: July 16, 2009Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi

Negative values are displayed in brackets.
You might have given the format something like field/D20B.

thanks

WF 7.7.03/Windows/HTML,PDF,EXL
POC/local Dev Studio 7.7.03 & 7.6.11

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Are the values that are getting displayed in brackets are negative values?

Webfocus 8002M, 8009

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
THE FORMAT is like A99,WHAT I SHOULD DO TO not get the brackets.

windows
PDF,EXCEL.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
and also i have nothing to do with the negative values,all the values are to be displayed are positive only,but i dont know why some of them are in brackets i.e;-ve.so please help me what i need to modify for getting the values in positive only.

windows
PDF,EXCEL.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
swati,

If your format is really A99, then there is nothing that focus does with the display of the values, it just shows what is in the database.
Which means that the value in the database is recorded with brackets.
Please see your data adminstrator to see if (s)he can explain why there are brackets in this particular field.

If the format is actually something else than A99, then please tell us what the actual format is...

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Please don't tell me that you have never seen numeric values with brackets during your career in the I.T. world?

If the format of the data column is A99, whatever application or tool used to load the data into that table is most likely converting a numeric column into an alpha column, with some values being negative and some being positive.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
sorry the format is D16MBS.

windows
PDF,EXCEL.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
So where did the A99 come from?

If the actual format is P16.4, check the usage format. It will be something like P16.4CB - just remove the B option. If there is no B option on the usage, then you've got something else messed up because a numeric format will not display brackets for negative values as a default.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
i am having the format as D16MBS,now i need to know what i should change here so that the values are to be without brackets.i.e;positive only.

windows
PDF,EXCEL.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Huge difference between A99 and D16MBS. The B stands for brackets.

Describing Data With WebFOCUS Language

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
You would have to define or compute a new report column, using the Absolute Value function, ABS.

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I guess you missed the part about removing the B option from the format. If you ONLY want positive values (understanding that you are changing the data because those values are obviously negative for a reason.) then you'll have to do as Francis suggests with the ABS function.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
is there any way i can change the format from D16MBS to other format to get the 'NO brackets'.

windows
PDF,EXCEL.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Yes, there is. Please read the manual, or take a course or two.

Francis

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
i don't want to display the negative values as positive,i am sure that all the values are positive all the way,i don't know why there are some values getting displayed in brackets i.e;negative.if my intention is to display the negative values also as positive then i can use the ABS function.but here i donut understand why some of the values are displayed in brackets even though they are not suppose to be displayed like that.....

windows
PDF,EXCEL.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
OK I will do Francis as u suggest...

windows
PDF,EXCEL.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
i am sure that all the values are positive all the way

You would be wrong. If the values are truly numeric format then they REALLY ARE negative or they wouldn't be displayed as such. Now why they are negative, if you don't think that is valid, is something you would have to find out yourself.

And take the dang 'B' out of the format. That removes the brackets. (And you'll see the negative signs instead.)

If you're trying to learn something from this, it helps to read the posts and the references and try out the suggestions. You'll find that forums users try to leave a little for the person to figure out for themselves.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hope this might be helpful:
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
COMPUTE CHK2/D16MBS = SALES - 10000; AS 'NEGATIVE IN BRACKET'
COMPUTE CHK3/D16MS = SALES - 10000; AS 'NEGATIVE WITHOUT BRACKET'
COMPUTE CHK3/D16MBS = ABS(SALES - 10000); AS 'NO NEGATIVE NO BRACKET'
COMPUTE CHK3/D16MS = ABS(SALES - 10000); AS 'NO NEGATIVE NO BRACKET'
ON TABLE SET ASNAMES ON
END
-RUN

Webfocus 8002M, 8009

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
ok compute a field to be equal to the original d16ms field and multiply this original field by -1 i.e.,
newfield/d16mbs = oldfield * -1 ;
Every one of your values for the 'newfield' should now contain a negative value. if one single value contains a positive value - then I have news for you - you have negatives in the original field. Good luck. Ira

aix-533,websphere 5.1.1,apache-2.0,
wf 538(d), 537 (p),
==============
7.6.11 (t) aix 5312
websphere 6.1.19
apache 2.0

Expert
posted Hide Post
Swati,

More Points To Ponder:

1) If you think that all the number are (should be) POSITIVE then that would be something to deal with you DBA about.

2) Maybe the request was that ONLY POSITIVE NUMBERS show up on the report. If that's the case use the WHERE statement to weed out the negitive numbers.

3) As has been stated the brackets indicate that the numbers are positive - no matter what anyone else may tell you (unless they are shomehow based on an off set of another big number - weird, but possible).

4) You go with the belief that the numbers are positive or negitive and deal with it or do something about it.

* There are a lot of answers here, and as Drin said "You'll find that forums users try to leave a little for the person to figure out for themselves.". So, the Ball is in your court now...

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
SOLVED...

windows
PDF,EXCEL.