Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Different global profile for different groups

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Different global profile for different groups
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
Hi Fellow Focus Members,

Can we assign different global profile for different group ?

For example ,

edaprof.prf for all users

sales.prf for sales users

engineering.prf for engineering users

account.prf for accounting users.

We are trying provide users access to adapter based on their role.(i.e) account.prf will have adapter connections specific for accounting users which cannot be accessed by other users.

I tried looking at server profile documentation but it did not help me much.

Thanks,
Aswin Ravikumar

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

Webfocus 8.1
Windows x64
Excel

Posts: 39 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: July 25, 2017Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This might be a place to start.

https://webfocusinfocenter.inf....htm#d01Intro1051955

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Ditto,

Check out Group Profiles

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BabakNYC:
This might be a place to start.

https://webfocusinfocenter.inf....htm#d01Intro1051955

I followed this documentation already but it does not pickup the adapter in other profile except the ones that are defined in edaprof. Is there any settings that i need to enable ?

Thanks,
Aswin Ravikumar

Webfocus 8.1
Windows x64
Excel

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Could you show us how you are setting the alternative adapters?

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Sure. I have a ldap user account called bus_dev_users. I created a bus_dev_users.prf file in the user/group profiles folder under workspace. In that profile , i added couple of oracle connections. I can see them in adapter list under adapter tab. Now i want to access those adapter connection from client/app studio to do sql passthrough and master file creation.

Thanks,
Aswin Ravikumar

Webfocus 8.1
Windows x64
Excel

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Aswin

Does bus_dev_users match the WebFOCUS security group name. The name used in the WebFOCUS security center is the name that gets passed. If it doesn't match then it won't work.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
You may have to prepend the security provider to the group name, depending on the setup.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FP Mod Chuck:
Aswin

Does bus_dev_users match the WebFOCUS security group name. The name used in the WebFOCUS security center is the name that gets passed. If it doesn't match then it won't work.

There is where things gets unclear to me . So this means that i should apply the name that i have in security center not the ldap group right ?

Webfocus 8.1
Windows x64
Excel

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Correct. On the reporting server when you add a group profile you use name in the security center.

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Correct. On the reporting server when you add a group profile you use name in the security center.

Thanks! That worked. Another question, Can we dynamically switch or call another profile based on the path that they are running ?

i.e if the path contains or ends with std_reports add a new profile which has additional oracle connections.

Thanks,
Aswin Ravikumar

Webfocus 8.1
Windows x64
Excel

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Aswin

Let me try a couple of things. I will get back to you tomorrow.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Aswin

I need to clarify where the string std_reports is. Is it part of the APP PATH or part of the security group name?

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Aswin

I need to clarify where the string std_reports is. Is it part of the APP PATH or part of the security group name?

It is folder in the content. We have several domain such as accounting, marketing etc

For each domain we have std_report folder which is handled by BI developers. We want that folder to have additional adpater connection than the one that are defined in edaprof.

Example file path : IBFS:/WFC/Repository/accounting/std_reports/sales/sales001.fex

Thanks,
Aswin Ravikumar

Webfocus 8.1
Windows x64
Excel

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Aswin

The method I was going to try will not work because I am not aware of a WebFOCUS system variable that provides the path to the fex being run. If I had that variable then I was going to suggest using a site profile fex that evaluated that variable and if it contained std_reports would create the adapter connection. You might want to open a case with techsupport to see if such a variable does exist.

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Aswin

The method I was going to try will not work because I am not aware of a WebFOCUS system variable that provides the path to the fex being run. If I had that variable then I was going to suggest using a site profile fex that evaluated that variable and if it contained std_reports would create the adapter connection. You might want to open a case with techsupport to see if such a variable does exist.
\

&IBIMR_fullpath is the variable that will provide you the path to the fex being run.

I will try calling fex in edaprof that would add this.

Thanks,
Aswin Ravikumar

Webfocus 8.1
Windows x64
Excel

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Well I learn something new every day. Thanks for that info.. That should work for you..