Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Attaching image files to outgoing e-mail

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Attaching image files to outgoing e-mail
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
We have a need to attach image files to outgoing e-mails being distributed through ReportCaster.

Has anyone done this? Please provide a brief description of the approach you took.

Thanks,
Alan

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WF 7.6.6, FOCUS 7.6.4, IBM MVS/TSO, Windows 2003 Server, DB2, MSSQL

Posts: 65 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: July 26, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
That's a pretty broad question. Can you be more specific? Are you talking about images within reports or you just have an image file (GIF,JPG,PNG,SVG, etc.) that you want to attach to some other reports being distributed by RC? RC has the option to attach external files to a distributed report. That is explained in the documentation. The docs also explain the additional requirements necessary for distributing graphics within RC-produced reports.

P.S. You're running all that software on a Windows Server box?? Pretty brave!

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
look up SET BASEURL=http://yourserver : port/...
that command lets you configure the full URL for your image path. When you use images in your regular webfocus reports, click ViewSource in your browser window and look for an IMG tag.
you'll see that the reference is a relative one.
When your user is viewing a report on the server, that works fine.
When your user is viewing a report in OUTLOOK, sent via ReportCaster, OUTLOOK needs more information to locate that image. OUTLOOK [repeating my mantra] is not a browser.
The SET BASEURL command, issued via a small fex that is set as the pre-processing condition in caster, will tell OUTLOOK where to look, completely, for the image.
Any help?
[I've never had any issues w/ Caster on a wintel box .. always worked fine for me ]

hey guess what...when you put the colon next to the word port, you get a smiley face thing. hahaha

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the quick response. A little more info on what we're doing: we send out reports (claims) each week to parts suppliers. In some cases the supplier requires a photo of the damaged part. We have not worked out the process for collecting the photos yet, but I'm assuming the image files will be stored in a folder that can be accessed by WF and that the filename will be the key to associating the images with a particular claim. The next step will be to have ReportCaster attach the appropriate images to the outgoing report.

Darin, I will update my signature to be more accurate. And I'll read the doc on attaching external files in RC.

Susannah, thanks for the tip. I'm not quite there yet but I'm bound to get there pretty quick.

Alan

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I think your best approach will be to include the photo inside the report, referencing it dynamically via the file name you have stored on the record. Susannah's description of the technique should resolve your RC issues with the process.

The attachment of external files does not work dynamically like this. You can specify an explicit file name (which would be a word doc or PDF or something static like that) which would be the same for every report distributed.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
That is pretty much what I was thinking, too. Create a "coordinated compound report" and use a PDF template that includes the image file in the document.

Thanks again to you both. I will update the thread once I have the details worked out.

Alan

Expert
posted Hide Post
yeah, if you're sending these reports outside of your company, having the images in PDF is much better. Having them referenced as full URL's in some html doc is not so hot, unless your image server location is public. pain.

read up on images in pdf...as Darin says..
its a little different from images in html...
but it'll work just fine for you. and the caster issue won't exist.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post