Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     FOCUS to WebFOCUS Migration

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
FOCUS to WebFOCUS Migration
 Login/Join

posted
One of our prospective customers a Mainframe based FOCUS application. They are looking for options/possibilities to move out of Mainframe and hence FOCUS. It seems WebFOCUS is the web-based version of FOCUS and as such FOCUS in itself cannot reside out of Mainframe.

Have you come across any cases on migration from FOCUS to WebFOCUS? If yes could please share the same with us?

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
FOCUS is the language that WebFOCUS uses. WebFOCUS allows you to give added value, such as building web pages to allow individuals to launch reports and so on. We migrated from mainframe DB2 file reporting to the WebFOCUS environment. Most of the code ran 'out of the box'. Our biggest challange was interfacing with our production scheduling system and passing parameters. Our biggest challange came when we had information stored in a DB2 column that was a mixture of alpha and packed data. Much of what we did didn't 'translate' due to the ascii conversion. Even had to fix a CTRAN function to go against the ascii value of a field rather than the mainframe EBCDC.

Have fun.

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
We've been running FOCUS Mainframe for the last
20 years. We started with WebFocus in 2003 and
totaly merged off the Mainframe last September 2007. We now have all Oracle tables and WebFocus works great with Oracle. WebFocus has so many better advantages than Mainframe. As mentioned the ability to create Web pages for the users so they can run a report 100 different ways. Tis has cut down on our development time considerably. We also use Crystal Reporting and I have to say that WebFocus is more versatile. You have the gui report writer or you can write SQL code for faster prcessing.
Jim

WebFocus 7.13
Unix
Oracle

Posts: 43 | Location: San Jose, California. | Registered: July 18, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Sakthi,
We have done this a couple of times with various FOCUS applications. All (or at least most) of the report (TABLE) code can go as is. If you are using MODIFY, it will need to be rewritten to MAINTAIN. If you are using CRTFORM it will need to be converted to display properly within WebFOCUS - this was pretty simple.

Other than that, you might run into a couple of glitches depending upon what releases of FOCUS & WebFOCUS you are using.

The most time consuming work of the conversion was testing. This actually took us longer than moving the code. We worked with some key application users and did end-to-end testing. It paid off in the end as we had a smooth production implementation.

Good luck!

WebFOCUS Production: UNIX 7.7.03M
WebFOCUS Test: UNIX EDASERVE 7.7.05 Client 8.0.01

Posts: 28 | Location: Connecticut USA | Registered: August 29, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
It isn't true that Focus can't reside outside of a Mainframe, it is available for a UNIX server. While I would recommend that if they are moving away from the mainframe that they migrate to webfocus at the same time, it may not be necessary. As Leah said the underlying language of Webfocus is Focus. There will be changes needed if you are changing from DB2, IMS, IDMS, VSAM, etc. to Oracle, SQL Server, etc. databases. You will also need to change CRTFORMs. but it is not necessary to change your Modify to Maintain.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
And please don't believe this malarky (Hey, It's near St. Patties Day!) that you can just 'cut-and-paste your Mainframe code right into a WebFOCUS procedure and everything will be fine'. Let me tell you, those -MVS or -TSO commands don't run too well in a UNIX environment!

PROD:WebFOCUS 7.6.11 on UNIX accessing FOCUS, Oracle, SQLServer
TEST: WebFOCUS 7.7.1 on UNIX accessing FOCUS, Oracle, SQLServer

Posts: 28 | Location: USA | Registered: March 24, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Some one must be moving the post on this.

Craig, no one said it was a perfectly smooth transition. Roll Eyes But if your MFD's and access files are all where they should be the FOCUS program code pretty much runs out of the box. Then you have to decide how to change such things as -TSO and -MVS which don't apply or for that matter good old DYNAM allocate files now it is FILEDEF. And of course how am I going to run the job when I don't have JCL any more? Smiler

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Leah,

You're absolutely right. All of the components are there, but in my experience, the code normally has to be "tweeked". It's not happening as much these days but in earlier releases, WebFOCUS was being marketed using this 'cut-and-paste' methodology, which I can tell you, clients were none too pleased about when it didn't work. What I have found needs to be inspected are:

- Host Commands (-MVS, -TSO, -VMS, etc.)
- Platform-specific features (READ ... NOCLOSE didn't work on UNIX up until the later 7.x releases, but works great on Mainframe and Midrange platforms)
- SQL PASSTHRU - depending on the 'flavor' of SQL you're coming from and going to, this may have to be looked at.

It was mentioned before, but test, test, test! There may be other subtle difference from release to release.

Hope this helps. I've done ump-teen migrations and these were the stumbling-blocks I hit along the way.

PROD:WebFOCUS 7.6.11 on UNIX accessing FOCUS, Oracle, SQLServer
TEST: WebFOCUS 7.7.1 on UNIX accessing FOCUS, Oracle, SQLServer

Posts: 28 | Location: USA | Registered: March 24, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I agree, Craig, test test test. We've even had issues going from version 5.3.6 to 7.6.4 of WebFOCUS. What worked just fine in one, now dies in the next. I think IB calls it tightening the code which occurs even in the FOCUS mainframe.

Leah

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Sahkti

the overall message you get here is, yes it can be done, but you need a lot of testing.
But what would be the alternative. If you leave focus you need to find an other reporting tool. That will have to set up from scatch and how much work will that be.
Your programmers now only need to learn some new tools, but the main source code and approach is still the same.
And you can use the knowledge of IBI if you need support. And don't forget FP!!

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Although Frank touched on the learning front a little, I can not emphasise enough the importance of getting your people trained. If you plan their training into the migration plan you will end up with effective people and not folks who try their best but don't quite understand fully what they are doing.

The investment will be worth it in the long term.

If you get IB on board you will find that they will probably even tailor their training courses to suit you companies requirements.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post