Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Masking Characters
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I know this is simple and the mask function is simple, but actual implementation is beyond me at the moment. I simply want to mask a ID field to the last 4 digits.

Report:

TABLE FILE TOT_AWRD
BY SPRIDEN_LAST_NAME NOPRINT
BY SPRIDEN_FIRST_NAME NOPRINT
BY SPRIDEN_ID   [B]<<<--------I WANT TO MASK THIS TO BE XXXXX6789[/B] 
BY SPRIDEN_LAST_NAME
BY SPRIDEN_FIRST_NAME
BY RNVAND1_GROSS_NEED
BY RNVAND1_UNMET_NEED
BY TOTAL_AWARD
WHERE SPRIDEN_CHANGE_IND EQ MISSING
WHERE RNVAND1_AIDY_CODE EQ '&AID_YEAR.(FIND ROBINST_AIDY_CODE IN ROBINST).AID_YEAR.'
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K
END

How do you mask a "by field"

-Brian

Webfocus v7.6.1 on Windows XP

Expert
posted Hide Post
Brian,
my reading of the doc says that MASK is a Maintain-only function.
EDIT would be the equivalent function in the reporting world.
I would just create a new variable
SPRIDEN_ID2/A4=EDIT(SPRIDEN_ID,'$$$$$9999');
and if i wanted to display it with X's
then
SPRIDEN_ID2/A9='XXXXX' | EDIT(SPRIDEN_ID,'$$$$$9999');

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Brian,

There may be an easier way, but I'd just make a defined field. Hold by the original field (noprint) and then by the defined field.

DEFINE FILE ELGEMP
SSNID/A9 = 'XXXXX'||EDIT(EESSNO, '$$$$$9999');
END

TABLE FILE ELGEMP
PRINT
EEFNAM
EELNAM
EEEFDT
BY EESSNO NOPRINT
BY SSNID
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K
END
-EXIT

Glenda

In FOCUS Since 1990
Production 8.2 Windows

Posts: 301 | Location: Galveston, Texas | Registered: July 07, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
DEFINE FILE FILE TOT_AWRD
XSPRIDEN_ID/A4 =EDIT(SPRIDEN_ID,’$$$$$9999’);
END

:

BY XSPRIDEN_ID

WebFOCUS 7.6.11, WINDOWS, HTML, PDF, EXCEL

Posts: 77 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: May 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You may be able to use special characters to create the edit mask properly. Came across it recently in issues we were having with student id. We were having issues with the define mask using the first four rather than the last four characters. So if you want nine characters in all then you need to do the special edit otherwise if four will do, Jim_at_LM suggestion is good. If you want the 'X' then do an edit
EDIT(ID,'$$$$$XXXXX9999') and it will print five 'X' and the last four numbers.

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your input.

I used Susannah's define with the pipe command and it works great.

-Brian

Webfocus v7.6.1 on Windows XP

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
EDIT(ID,'$$$$$XXXXX9999'

i just tried Leah's trick. That is SLICK!!!
Brian, do what Leah suggested.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post