Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] field not found after joins

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] field not found after joins
 Login/Join

posted
Is there a limit to the number of fields a file can contain after a join? I'm joining table 1 to table 2, then joining table 2 to table 3. I see field 1 after the first join but it is not in the table after the second join.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Selena B,

Vista

Expert
posted Hide Post
Selena,
when you join, its A to B
and then A to C, where A is now the entity formed after the first join (A=A+B);
do a
? JOIN
after your first join
and a
CHECK FILE filenameA PICTURE
which will give you an interesting view.
then table file your first join to see what you get.
if you're happy, go on to the add the second join, and repeat the ? JOIN and the CHECK.
You can use DevStu to do the joins, it will take all the worry out, and give you a picture.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Susannah thank you so much for your input. You're right and that's how I meant to reference it - table 1 to table 2 then table 1 to table 3. That is in fact an interesting view. I didn't know you could do that. I'm not sure I'm understanding all of the information it's listing though. One thing I did notice is that it's saying the total # of fields after the first join is 100 when it should be 102. After the second join it lists 145 for the total # of fields when there should be 160. It also list out 4 fields under each table that I'm joining together. (I'm not sure why it lists 4. I'm only joining on 2 fields). I hope this makes sense.

Vista

Expert
posted Hide Post
you're making progress nicely...
the PICTURE option on the CHECK command just lists 4 fields, that's the nature of the thing. just to show you whats hooked up to what.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
If you do a hold on your join and then refenece that table with ?F you can see what is missing:

ie:
quote:

JOIN ID_1 IN TABLE_1 TO ID_2 IN TABLE_2 AS J1

TABLE FILE TABLE_1
PRINT *
ON TABLE HOLD AS H1 FORMAT XFOCUS
END

?F H1

this will give you a list of all fields in your new structure and you can look and see what is missing...

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP
Output: mostly HTML, also Excel and PDF

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor

Posts: 285 | Location: UK | Registered: October 26, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Nubi,

That won't work if you have a hierarchy because PRINT * takes only the left-most path.

However after a JOIN you can use ?FF on the structure and get all the fields:

-* File QFF.fex
?FF GGSALES
?FF GGPRODS
JOIN PCD IN GGSALES TO PCD IN GGPRODS AS P
?FF GGSALES

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
really? i didn't know that, i had used the ?ff statement but din't think she would need the field types- so sorry about that should have checked before i posted... Eeker :d

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP
Output: mostly HTML, also Excel and PDF

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor

Posts: 285 | Location: UK | Registered: October 26, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Selena,

Did you put "AS J1" and "AS J2" on your joins?
If you don't use an AS name you only have the last join.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your input. PBrightwell - yes I am using 'AS' along with tags. One of the dbas nicely volunteered to write a sql passthrough with all of the joins. I will continue to play around in the WF code using the suggestions posted here. Again, thank you all so much!

Vista