Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] DRILLTHROUGH problems.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] DRILLTHROUGH problems.
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
I'm wondering if DRILLTHROUGH functionality is supported with the following report or am I missing something? I've tried "everything" I could think of, but can't make drillthrough work in a report like this. The links from the first page work 50% at best, i.e. their targets are partially the same.

The layout of the report needs to be like this, customer needs to have a sumary level with all the data in one page. There are also subtotals at different levels in the page (e.g. between countries), that are missing from the examples below.

First version:

SET PAGE = NOPAGE
SET SQUEEZE = ON

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES
    COMPUTE ROW/I1 = IF NOT COUNTRY IN ('JAPAN' 'W GERMANY') THEN ROW + 1 ELSE
                     IF LAST ROW EQ 1 THEN ROW+1 ELSE 1 ;
    COMPUTE COL/I1 = IF NOT COUNTRY IN ('JAPAN' 'W GERMANY') THEN 1 ELSE 2 ;
    COMPUTE TEST/A1 = IF NOT COUNTRY IN ('JAPAN' 'W GERMANY') THEN 'A' ELSE 'B' ;
BY COUNTRY
ON TABLE HOLD
END
-RUN

TABLE FILE HOLD
SUM COUNTRY SALES TEST
BY ROW NOPRINT
ACROSS COL NOPRINT
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF OPEN
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=DATA, ACROSSCOLUMN=COUNTRY, DRILLTHROUGH=DOWN(COUNTRY),$
END

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES RETAIL_COST DEALER_COST
BY COUNTRY PAGE-BREAK
BY CAR
BY MODEL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF CLOSE
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=COUNTRY, DRILLTHROUGH=FIRST(COUNTRY),$
ENDSTYLE
END
-RUN

Second version with a HOLD file and ASNAMES. I've tried with and without sorting with the COU1 and COU2, country "help" fields.

SET PAGE = NOPAGE
SET SQUEEZE = ON

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES
    COMPUTE ROW/I1 = IF NOT COUNTRY IN ('JAPAN' 'W GERMANY') THEN ROW + 1 ELSE
                     IF LAST ROW EQ 1 THEN ROW+1 ELSE 1 ;
    COMPUTE COL/I1 = IF NOT COUNTRY IN ('JAPAN' 'W GERMANY') THEN 1 ELSE 2 ;
    COMPUTE TEST/A1 = IF NOT COUNTRY IN ('JAPAN' 'W GERMANY') THEN 'A' ELSE 'B' ;
BY COUNTRY
ON TABLE HOLD
END
-RUN

SET ASNAMES = ON

TABLE FILE HOLD
SUM COUNTRY SALES TEST
BY ROW
ACROSS COL
ON TABLE HOLD
END
-RUN

TABLE FILE HOLD
PRINT COU1 AS 'CTRY1'
      SAL1
      TES1
      COU2 AS 'CTRY2'
      SAL2
      TES2
BY ROW
BY COU1
BY COU2
ON TABLE HOLD
END
-RUN

TABLE FILE HOLD
PRINT CTRY1 SAL1 TES1
      CTRY2 SAL2 TES2
BY ROW NOPRINT
BY COU1 NOPRINT
BY COU2 NOPRINT
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF OPEN
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=CTRY1, DRILLTHROUGH=DOWN(COUNTRY=COU1),$
TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=CTRY2, DRILLTHROUGH=DOWN(COUNTRY=COU2),$
END

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES RETAIL_COST DEALER_COST
BY COUNTRY PAGE-BREAK
BY CAR
BY MODEL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF CLOSE
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=DATA,
     COLUMN=COUNTRY,
     DRILLTHROUGH=FIRST(COUNTRY),
$
ENDSTYLE
END

Thanks for your help Smiler !

Cheers,
Mika

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mika Keranen,

WebFOCUS 7.6.x
PMF 5.2.x

Posts: 58 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: April 22, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Mika, did you do a search of the forum ?

Have a look here.

According to the documentation available in Developer studio and from the link above, DRILLTHROUGH and ACROSS is not supported.

Your second option looks the way to go.

Have a look here, its a technique on doing multicolumn drill.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Waz, thanks for the reply. Yes, did a few searches in the forum and support site. Wasn't sure about the drillthrough not being supported with ACROSSCOLUMN, I noticed the ACROSSVALUE is not supported. I'm using TYPE=DATA and ACROSSCOLUMN=nn. Maybe I'll have to try and find the document saying not supported with ACROSS sorting Wink .

Yes, I also found the post on multicolumn drill, but my problem is a bit different from that, the way my report is created differs a bit from that. The main problem with the report seems to be that the drilldown value is the same in both fields/page columns, regardless of how I try to define them, it is either the one or the other.

Cheers,
Mika

WebFOCUS 7.6.x
PMF 5.2.x

Posts: 58 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: April 22, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Wow, I see what you mean, two columns drilling through to one page in the report.

I wonder if that is why the across does not work correctly.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately DRILLTHROUGH is a single-value, row-based method - which explains why ACROSS is not supported. That means if you identify more than one value in a row in the report as a DRILLTHROUGH item, only the last value specified in the StyleSheet is passed. The Tech Support multi-column drill technique referenced by Waz's post is a bit of a sham because if you PAGE-BREAK on PRODUCT instead of CATEGORY, the DRILLTHROUGHs don't work. In your example, you are trying to identify two columns in the same row in the report as DRILLTHROUGH items. That won't work. DRILLDOWN may be your only option.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Sorry for getting back to this a bit late, thanks for all your replies and help. At the moment we'll just have to live without the DRILLTHROUGH and unfortunately DRILLDOWN is not an option for this report. If I find a solution or an alternatieve way to do this, I'll let you know.

Cheers,
Mika

WebFOCUS 7.6.x
PMF 5.2.x

Guru
posted Hide Post
Am sorry to reopen this FORUM after an year almost...

Hi Mika, Did you find an option for implementing DRILL THROGUH for an across column, As such whether this is possible in any of the latest versions ? Mine is currently, 7.7.02.

Also, if possible, could someone please provide me the URL which says, DRILL through and across are not compatible? I tried tech support, and Dev studio help.. But no luck.

Thanks,

Ramkumar.
WebFOCUS/Tableau
Webfocus 8 / 7.7.02
Unix, Windows
HTML/PDF/EXCEL/AHTML/XML/HTML5

Posts: 394 | Location: Chennai | Registered: December 02, 2009Report This Post