Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] FB vs VB Problem on Mainframe

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] FB vs VB Problem on Mainframe
 Login/Join

posted
I am running some code where I have done a DYNAM ALLOC telling it FB and LRECL of 314 in an RPC. What I am getting instead is VB and LRECL of 318, however, when I look at the Dataset all I am seeing is 314. How can I get this to be the way I am defining it.

Here is the code.
DYNAM ALLOC FILE MDCSYN DS WC.PROD.ADV.MDCSYN.TEMP -
LRECL 314 RECFM FB SHR REU
-RUN
REMOTE DEST=EDADMPRD
-REMOTE BEGIN
SET HOLDLIST=PRINTONLY
JOIN
LEFT_OUTER MDCSYNTM.MDCSYNTM.CLM_NBR_ID IN MDCSYNTM TO UNIQUE
WADVCLM.WADVCLM.CLM_KEY IN WADVCLM TAG J0 AS J0
END
JOIN
LEFT_OUTER J0.WADVCLM.POL_NBR_REN IN MDCSYNTM TO UNIQUE
WPOLREN.T_POL_RE.POL_NBR_REN IN WPOLREN TAG J1 AS J1
END
TABLE FILE MDCSYNTM
PRINT
MDCSYNTM.REC_TYP
MDCSYNTM.FILL_1
COMPUTE TEMP/A8 = IF WPOLREN.POL_EFF_DATE EQ '00000000'
THEN MDCSYNTM.POL_EFF_DATE
ELSE DATECVT(WPOLREN.POL_EFF_DATE, 'YYMD', 'A8YYMD');
MDCSYNTM.CLM_NBR_ID
MDCSYNTM.FILL_2
ON TABLE PCHOLD AS MDCSYN FORMAT ALPHA
END
-REMOTE END

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CraigR,

WebFOCUS 7.6.10
Windows
all output (Excel, HTML, PDF)

Expert
posted Hide Post
So you DYNAM ALLOC to RECFM FB and LRECL 314, but it is allocates as VB and 318 ?

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. I have an old version there that I am trying to replace with the new. It goes from the FB 314 to the VB 318

WebFOCUS 7.6.10
Windows

Expert
posted Hide Post
Doesn't seem possible.

How did you find out that it had changed ?

I can only assume that it has something to do with the DYNAM command

The whole command can fit on one line, does that make a difference ?

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
As impossible as it sounds, it did happen.

I found out it changed because I was trying to look at it and it warned me about data that may be dropped because of the variable block if I made changes to it. I then looked at its properties.

I copied a dataset that I had backed up earlier back into it and made sure it looked right (it did) and then ran the process again. Once again it had the wrong properties as I have noted.

I am also assuming it has something to do with the DYNAM command. I did try to put it all on one line to see if that would change anything. It didn't. I have it on two lines because the mainframe will cut it off at 80 characters if I don't do that.

WebFOCUS 7.6.10
Windows

Expert
posted Hide Post
I think that you may have to put in a case with IBI on this one.

BY the way what type of DS is it PO or PDS ?

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Expert
posted Hide Post
Craig,

Going back a few years to my MVS days, this was often due to the fact that a DD statement existed in the JCL with the different attributes or the existing file was already allocated with those attributes. You can overcome the latter by deleting any existing file in an IEFBR14 step prior to your FOCUS process. If this is not batch but online, then you need to achieve the same thing using TSO DELETE (can't remember if this is the exact command you need as I haven't got my nineties Quick Reference card handy!).

DYNAM FREE and DYNAM ALLOC do not override the DDs in your JCL, however TSO FREE and TSO ALLOC used to. Whether this is still the case I cannot tell you as I do not have access to MVS/ZOS or whatever the current naming/version is!!

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I solved this problem by doing a local hold and then read it again with a save. We are suspecting that the problem may have had something to do with a line feed and carriage return (nothing to back this up)

Here is the code that I used instead.

DYNAM ALLOC FILE MDCSYN DS WC.PROD.ADV.MDCSYN.TEMP -
LRECL 314 RECFM FB SHR REU
-RUN
REMOTE DEST=EDADMPRD
-REMOTE BEGIN
SET HOLDLIST=PRINTONLY
JOIN
LEFT_OUTER MDCSYNTM.MDCSYNTM.CLM_NBR_ID IN MDCSYNTM TO UNIQUE
WADVCLM.WADVCLM.CLM_KEY IN WADVCLM TAG J0 AS J0
END
JOIN