Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Problems with BYTOC [solved]

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Problems with BYTOC [solved]
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
I am running Vista, and Office 2007. In my copy of Dev Studio (7.6.5), I get errors when I attempt a PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K BYTOC.

It's specific to BYTOC: The identical request works fine with plain EXL2K, or EXL2K FORMULA; but with BYTOC I get an error message (actually a series of them, one per tab), and then the spreadsheet opens with all the expected tabs -- but otherwise empty. Anyone else encounter this?

I opened a case, did some digging, and I think I found the cause. Using HOLD instead of PCHOLD, I found that BYTOC produces a gaggle of .xht files -- whatever.xht (the mother ship), and satelite files (a pair for each tab):

ibih0001.xht ibit0001.xht
ibih0002.xht ibit0002.xht
etc.

But when I manually opened the parent .xht file, I got the same error msgs and data deficit as with PCHOLD. Inspecting the code in the parent file, I found that half the references in the parent were wrong:

--====Boundary====
Content-Location: file:///C:/IBIT0001.XHT

"file:///C:/XBYTOC.XHT" is understood in Windows as an absolute location, in the root directory of C:. When I changed those references to relative form ...
Content-Location: ./IBIT0001.XHT
... I was able to open the spreadsheet without error messages, and the data was filled in as expected.

The particular (I almost said 'specific' -- that it's not) error message was: "The file cannot be opened because your virus scanner has detected a problem with the file." -- Clearly, the real issue is that the references point to non-existent files.

I know Vista (unlike earlier versions of Windows) protects the root directory -- at least it raises objections if you try to store files there. That may be at play -- or Excel may just be reporting this whenever it fails in opening a referenced component file (even when the real reason is that the file doesn't exist).

Has no one else run into this?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: j.gross,

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Jack,

Not seen that error myself, but then I don't use Vista (I steer well clear of it to be honestWink).

Running similar on XP platform and I see exactly the same output (of course!) but receive no errors using standalone WF 7.6.5 but with Excel 2003.

I would concur with your suggestion that it may be down to Vista - can't see it being Excel despite its tendancy to break easily Wink

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Jack,

No problem running EXCEL 2007 under WinXP with WF 765.

-* File ByTocXL.fex
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES
BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
BY CAR BY BODY
ON TABLE SET BYDISPLAY ON
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K BYTOC
END

So, I think that Vista is the problem.

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
one thing you may want to try if you don't know where the problem lies is see what reference libraries Excel is using and check that against the libraries used in a version that works...

for example if you are on Excel 2007 it may have different libraries as default in comparison to Excel 2003.... it's a good place to start, perhaps ask Tony A what references he is using (as it works for him) and see if you are using the same

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP
Output: mostly HTML, also Excel and PDF

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor

Posts: 285 | Location: UK | Registered: October 26, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
for example if you are on Excel 2007 it may have different libraries as default in comparison to Excel 2003

How would I determine them?

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Vista with Office 2003 and am not having any problems. I used this code and it ran fine:
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM RCOST AS 'RET_COST'
BY COUNTRY
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K BYTOC
END

WebFOCUS 8.0.09
Windows 7
Output: Excel, PDF, HTML

Posts: 10 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: December 13, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Ah, yeah sorry -

if you press ALT + F11 in excel to bring up the VB/Macro screen and then go to:

Tools >References.

you will then see a list of reference libraries-many of them will have a blank check boxes next to them but the ones active will be at the top and have a check against them.

for example im using:

Visual Basic for Applications
Microsoft Excel 11.0 Object Library
Microsoft Excel 10.0 Object Library
OLE Automation

>>>>>>>>

what you wnat to do is find someone with the same set up who has no problems and ask them to telkl you what reference libraries they are using, check this aginst your sto make sure you are usign the same ones, if you aren't you should be able to find it in the list and enable it by checking its box.

as i say, it may be nothing to do with it but its a good place to check first and may provide you with a little insight as to whats going on...

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Some searching turned up this solution, to turn off Norton AV's "scanning of Microsoft Office documents" feature, and that cleared the problem.

But I am still troubled by the construct "file:///c:/filename.xht" to reference a component file that is not located in the root directory.

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Guru
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you cracked it, you can ignore that last post of mine, it was a shot in the dark! Big Grin

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP