Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Naming fex procedures - naming conventions

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Naming fex procedures - naming conventions
 Login/Join

posted
All,

I am interested in getting feeback on naming conventions for .fex procedures in WebFOCUS. We currently have no particular form to follow. What are some suggestions? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: viking08,

WebFOCUS 7.7.05
All Outputs

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,

If you're writing reports for different departments within your company/organization, my suggestion would be to use something like this

MANF001-Vehicle model by country

First four letters would represent the department to which you're writing the procedure.

Second three numbers would be your serial number (this number increases when you write more reports for the same department)

Third may be a hyphen/dash

After that, you can have a description about your .fex file.

Also look for suggestions from other focal community members!

product release:8203
o/s: windows 10
expected o/p formats: HTML,EXCEL,PDF

Posts: 34 | Location: Kearney, Nebraska | Registered: December 14, 2011Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I asked the very same question a couple of months ago.

I use a naming convention that is supposed to give me some insight as to what the fex does, viz: sales_prodvolume_across_month.fex but as you can see these can get really long, and don't necessarily indicate everything that's in the report.

I've started a Lotus Notes database that includes the fex name, a snapshot of the input parameters screen and a sample of the output, so my users can browse through the reports and select one before asking me to produce yet another report that has essentially the same information as an existing one.

But that's still in development and as the old saying goes:

When you are up to your arse in alligators,
It's often difficult to remember
That the first objective
Was to drain the swamp.

(Sorry about going all English on you but it seems this forum software objects to the word *** - even though it's just a donkey and appears countless times in popular religous books ! I bet if I wrote bum it would get through ...).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: George Patton,

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, I like that option snapshot of input parm screen and sample of output, it will be more clear for users.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Venkat-,

product release:8203
o/s: windows 10
expected o/p formats: HTML,EXCEL,PDF

Posts: 34 | Location: Kearney, Nebraska | Registered: December 14, 2011Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Here is an option that we use at one of my previous companies. Just like mentioned above. Using a DEPT/AREA/GROUP and a Number for the procedure which was always on the page bottom of the report/html etc.. We also had a database table with that as the key value along with a description. you could always add a url to a sample report. having a database also lends itself to quering by WebFOCUS.

Scott

Expert
posted Hide Post
At least we are not as restricted as we were years ago with only 8 characters for the name.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
We prefix all files belonging to one report ( .fex and .htm ) with an unique four digit number.

e.g.
0104_PRODUCTLIST.FEX
0104_PRODUCTLIST_INCL.FEX
0104_PRODUCTLIST_BY_SUPPLIER.HTM

Only the one visible on the dashboard must have a descriptive name after the prefix.

The prefix ( unique number ) is used to document the "report". Both for end-user and developers.

Also very useful when a user has a question about "that report I always use...". It's very nice that they now complain about report 0104.

Greets,Dave

Posts: 668 | Location: Veghel, The Netherlands | Registered: February 16, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bet if I wrote bum it would get through ...).

It did! Big Grin

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Master
posted Hide Post
Like Dave, I get requests for "the report that I always use" - but often with some minor modification suggested. I also use &FOCFEXNAME to put the FEX at the bottom of the report.

Does it help? No! They throw away the old report so they can't tell me the FEX name. grrrrrrrr......

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Been there, done that.

We have about 5000 adhoc reports, most variations on other reports.

BTW, our naming structure is:
SSSDDnnn or SSSnnnntttttt...

Where:
SSS is the System
DD is the department
nnn or nnnn is the report id.
ttttttt is a report component

We also have a set of fexes that start with UTL that are utilities, common includes, etc.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I think the important thing here is to define your naming structure, document it, and stick to it.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the feedback!

WebFOCUS 7.7.05
All Outputs