Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
DYNAM ALLOC LRECL
 Login/Join

posted
I'm in mainframe FOCUS. Focexec #1 creates FileA using a DYNAM ALLOC with LRECL specified as 242. The actual length of the data is 241, so this should be fine. I manually create an MFD. Focexec #2 reads File A using that MFD. No error message results, just strange totals, too low.

Then I remember another focexec which creates a file virtually identical to File A, but this focexec specifies the file with LRECL 256, actual length 251. . it has one more field at the end. I read THIS file into focexec #2 with the same MFD, and it works!

I go back to focexec #1 and re-create my original file with LRECL 256, and now THIS works!

Can anyone tell me what happened? My LRECL always was longer than the actual data, and the MFD covers all. Thanks, Phyllis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I take it this is MVS. You probably have conflicting MFDs. Focus will only search HOLDMAST if you have already performed a HOLD in the Focus session. If you've placed your "manually created" 241-byte MFD in a partitioned dataset allocated to HOLDMAST, and the 251-byte MFD of the same name has permanent residence in a PFD allocated to MASTER, that would explain your symptoms.

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
are you using a RECFM of V, VB, or VBA?

variable records require a 4 byte descriptor and VBA has an extra byte for the print control.

might explain your LRECL.

drew

Posts: 46 | Location: San Francisco, California | Registered: April 14, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Jack and Drew,

My RECFM is FB.

I used the same MFD throughout. And there is no like-named MFD anywhere that I can see.

Years ago I remember using an LRECL that was too short, forcing the job that followed to read two records for one set of fields, and thereby reading "across records", I think. That resulted in 5 rows when there should have been 10. But this one is not too short. Specified LRECL was 242, and CHECK FILE FILEA tells me length 241.

Thank you both.
Phyllis

Master
posted Hide Post
I think if you issue a

? TSO DDNAME <HOLDFILE>

after the file is created it will give to the exact DCB info and can then use them in the second focexec.