Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Strange behaviour with -GOTO

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Strange behaviour with -GOTO
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
One of the users at my current site approached me regarding a problem they were experiencing with a new compound report they were writing.

The examples provided do not necessarily show a realistic situation.

Without getting into the specifics, the following two sets of code illustrate this behaviour

-* File report1.fex

SET ASNAMES = ON
SET HOLDLIST = PRINTONLY

-* Extract all cars from carfile.

TABLE FILE CAR
BY CAR
ON TABLE SAVE AS CARS
END
-RUN
-SET &CAR = ' ';
-SET &TOTLINES = &LINES ;
-SET &CNTR = 0 ;

-* Based on output format, set up the compound.

-SET &CMPND1 = IF &OUTPUT EQ 'EXL2K' THEN 'SET COMPOUND=OPEN' ELSE ' ';
&CMPND1
-*-TYPE &CMPND1

-* repeat loop to go through each car and include a new fex to produce a report.

-REPEAT :LOOP WHILE &CNTR LT &TOTLINES ;
-SET &CNTR = &CNTR + 1 ;
-READ CARS &CAR.A16.

-SET &PDFCLOSE = IF (&OUTPUT EQ 'PDF') AND (&CNTR EQ &TOTLINES) THEN 'CLOSE' ELSE 'OPEN' ;
-SET &CMPND2 = IF (&OUTPUT EQ 'EXL2K') AND (&CNTR EQ &TOTLINES) THEN 'SET COMPOUND=CLOSE' ELSE ' ' ;
&CMPND2
-*-TYPE &CMPND2
-*-TYPE THE CAR IS &CAR
-*-TYPE PDFCLOSE &PDFCLOSE
-INCLUDE report2

-:LOOP

The above logic will loop through the saved file to then include the following logic to produce a compound report

-* File report1.fex

-SET &ECHO = ALL ;

-IF &OUTPUT EQ 'PDF' THEN GOTO PDF&CNTR ELSE
-IF &OUTPUT EQ 'HTML' THEN GOTO HTML&CNTR ELSE
-IF &OUTPUT EQ 'EXL2K' THEN GOTO EXL&CNTR ;

-* PDF output. The logic successfully branches to this label PDF&CNTR

-PDF&CNTR
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES BY CAR
WHERE CAR EQ '&CAR'
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF &PDFCLOSE
END
-IF &OUTPUT EQ 'PDF' THEN GOTO :END&CNTR ;
-GOTO :END&CNTR

-* HTML output. The logic successfully branches to this label PDF&CNTR

-HTML&CNTR
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES BY CAR
WHERE CAR EQ '&CAR'
END
-IF &OUTPUT EQ 'HTML' THEN GOTO :END&CNTR ;
-GOTO :END&CNTR

-* EXL2K output. The logic successfully branches to this label PDF&CNTR

-EXL&CNTR
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES BY CAR
WHERE CAR EQ '&CAR'
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TITLETEXT='&CAR',$
ENDSTYLE
END

-:END&CNTR

In this second report, if you were to comment out the following after the PDf report:

and just use the -GOTO :END&CNTR, it returns the following error message:

0 ERROR AT OR NEAR LINE 19 IN PROCEDURE report2 FOCEXEC *
(FOC305) SPECIFIED LABEL NOT FOUND: :END1

I'm curious as to why the -GOTO will not work but replacing it with the -IF (with the GOTO) will work.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Maryellen>,

Prod - WF 7.6.4 Unix/Solaris - Self-Service, BI Dashboard, MRE
Dev - WF 7.6.4 Unix/Solaris - Self-Service, BI Dashboard, MRE
Databases: Oracle 10g, SQL Server 2000, DB2.

Posts: 177 | Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada | Registered: April 25, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Adding .EVAL to the labels may make the GOTO work.

-PDF&CNTR.EVAL

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Francis,

That doesn't work either. Something to note is that the GOTO for the -PDF&CNTR, -HTML&CNTR and -EXL&CNTR work just fine.

It's the GOTO to the :END&CNTR that doesn't work.

I've tried using .EVAL on the label, even in the GOTO. I've also tried setting a new parameter to be ':END' || &CNTR with other variations and that doesn't work either.

Ken

Posts: 177 | Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada | Registered: April 25, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Ken, have you tried changing the label name? Perhaps the ':' or the 'END' is causing the problem.

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Ken,

I'm probably looking at this too simply, but why are you messin' about with this. I haven't seen anything in the doc about &vars in labels. Experience has taught me that if it isn't documented, even if it works now, there is no guarantee that it will work in a future release.

If the table requests in the second procedure only differ by the output line, then parameterize the whole line. If the table requests differ on more then the output line, create 3 procedures, and only include the appropriate procedure.

Just my thoughts.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
dhagen,

You will not see the following in the documentation either, but I'm sure it's perfectly valid:

-SET &verb = IF &FRUIT EQ 'APPLE' THEN 'PRINT' ELSE 'SUM';

TABLE FILE CAR
&verb
SALES
BY COUNTRY
END

Since the -REPEAT in the INLCUDE is executed several times it would seem to make send to have & in the label.

You can't always rely on the documentation. For instance, it's perfectly fine to use several of the functions in Dialog Manager, but I've not found any documentation that shows that.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
dhagen,

The reason I'm looking into this is that the user is attempting include a couple of fex's within a repeat loop to create one single compound report for distribution. This procedure also includes multiple sql passthru calls.

My suggestion to use &vars in labels was to ensure that uniqueness is maintained in the entire procedure (as opposed to creating several modules that are executed separately within a larger process), because we all know the fun you have when you try to run a procedure with the same label in muliple locations. Creating multiple focexecs in this case would absolutely result in having to maintain several reports whenever on needed to be changed.

Ken

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
For each label encountered, Dialog Manager memorizes the label and the fex name and line number. That enables it to avoid reading forward to locate a label that occurred earlier in the fex.

Label conflicts only arise when two fexes with common lables are -INCLUDEd in the same parent fex. It is perfectly ok to -INCLUDE a fex multiple times, or in a loop, even if it contains GOTO's (and their labels). The second time around, Dialog Manager recalls that it encountered that label at a particular line of that fex and proceeds directly there, which is fine.

And in fact that is what you were doing, successfully, when you used -IF ... GOTO.

No substitution is performed in labels. The "&" in "-EXL&CNTR" is just another character; it does not trigger the substitution mechanism.

Dialog Manager performs substitution in the target of a bare GOTO statement if it contains an &, but (for whatever reason) not when the GOTO is part of an IF statement. So in the inner fex, the label ":END&CNTR" in the construct

. . .

is a constant, and might as well be simply :ENDLOOP.

As discussed in an earlier thread, conflicts may arise if the fexes are stored in MR; but if the inner fex is stored on the WFR server and referenced with MRNOEDIT, there should be no problem.

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Jack, wouldn't a .EVAL first evaluate the & and then DM takes over?

Wouldn't
-IF &OUTPUT EQ 'PDF' THEN GOTO :END&CNTR.EVAL ;

Become

-IF &OUTPUT EQ 'PDF' THEN GOTO :END1 ;

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
yes (actually, DM doesn't "take over" from there - DM is in charge of dealing with the .EVAL in the first place)

-- but then a label of
or
-:END&CNTR.EVAL
isn't seen by DM as
-:END1
when searching for the target line, so the GOTO fails.

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
This is very interesting.

Is this the only instance where Dialog Manager ignores the amper variable and/or the .EVAL?

If so, it is very odd.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
There is a certain logic to it: Labels are literals, not executable code.

DM is scanning the lines to find a matching label, not to execute them -- so no substitution takes place, until it finds the matching line. Since it is not (yet) attempting to execute the lines, & and .EVAL have no special significance at that point in the process.

& is also treated literally in -DEFAULT values (but .EVAL will force evaluation). Thus:

-SET X0=123;
-DEFAULT &X1=&X0, &X2=&X0.EVAL
-? &X

yields:

CURRENTLY DEFINED & VARIABLES STARTING WITH 'X':
&X0 = 123
&X1 = &X0
&X2 = 123
> >

Expert
posted Hide Post
Jack, I know that .EVAL will force evaluation for a -DEFAULT, I assumed it would the same way everywhere.

Thank you for your fine clarification - it explains why I've had to find work-arounds in the past.

Francis.