Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Why I'm not crazy about Dev Studio GUI

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Why I'm not crazy about Dev Studio GUI
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
Tony was gracious with his FocalPoint thread All I want for Christmas ........ (within Dev Studio), I'll be blunt.

Based on this thread Two columns with one column title I thought I'd open up my brand spanking new Dev Studio and use the GUI to build an example to use HEADALIGN=BODY in the Heading. Well, I can't find HEADALIGN anywhere in the GUI tool. There is an Alignment Grid, but that's not what I'm looking for.

I inserted spot markers between the words in the Page Heading using Properties > Insert Spotmarker... (what are the ... for?) and the spot markers were added but you can't see them unless you look at the source tab. How do you know there are spot-markers in the heading when looking at the report in the GUI?

Once I added the spot-markers, I thought I'd try using POSITION since I can't find HEADALIGN, but Position is disabled when I try applying it via Properties > Position.

What am I doing wrong?

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
If you select something in your heading, right click, and then select Align... You will get a dialog box with some options. If you click OK,
  TYPE=HEADING,
     HEADALIGN=BODY,
$ 

will be added to your report.

Release: WebFOCUS 7.6.8
Output formats: HTML, PDF, Excel, csv

Expert
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much - that took care of the HEADALIGN issue.

It's funny, when I did a search in Help from Dev Studio, it pointed me to "Creating Reports With WebFOCUS Language > Using Headings, Footings, Titles, and Labels > Aligning a Heading or Footing Element in an HTML Report".

When I clicked on "Creating Reports With Graphical Tools > Styling Reports With the Report Painter > Aligning Fields and Text in Headings and Footings" all I got was something about the "Alignment Grid".

I don't find any documentation about the "Align" option when right-clicking a piece of text in the Page Heading...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
There's a reason this forum is so active...

Gold member
posted Hide Post
The Position option is available for PDF output. It's used together with spot markers to separate the text strings in headings, footings, subheadings, subfootings. You could type a text string, right-click on it and position it, or add a spot marker between two text strings, then position each individually.

There is documentation on page 310 at this link: http://documentation.informationbuilders.com/masterinde...61crgt/wf761crgt.pdf

The align option is for HTML, also available by right-clicking after selecting the text string. The documentation is also in the above document, on page 214.

-- Jamie

Posts: 15 | Location: IB - Corp | Registered: May 22, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jamie.

By the way, I can see "Spotmarkers" by selecting View > Show Markers.

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Well Francis let me know if you ever do Dialog Manager in the GUI. Why one would ever use it...I haven't figured out. Just open up and type.

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Doing things like precision reports by hand can be very difficult...

I think most of us use the GUI to get some base stuff going and then hand code around it.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Why can't the GUI tool handle comments wherever they're put?

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
*SIGH*

I believe that if/when the Report Painter will handle Dialog Manager it will handle comments as well.

Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChannyS:
Doing things like precision reports by hand can be very difficult...

I think most of us use the GUI to get some base stuff going and then hand code around it.

To be honest coding from scratch is my preferred method, we rarely have a need to use the painter...

quote:
Why can't the GUI tool handle comments wherever they're put?

the problem is with the painter and DM is how would it represent it? we use a lot of DM to change report output formatting and i feel it could be quite hard to visually represent the prodecudural element of DM (like GOTOs and labels) as sufficiently complex reports are like 'spaghetti code'

comments could be handled though- they could give you the option to right click a report element and add a comment to it- the comment could then be put above the code for that element in the text editor...

without such a function i don't how else they would handle comments and it makes sense that they get shoved to the top of the report because once in painter it doesn't know what lines they should be (although if they were originally entered against a certain line in the editor theres no reason it shouldn't retain it)- perhaps there could be an option that if the code was produced first in the editor the comments are not moved if the code is then opened in painter -its a toughy- comments should not be moved about but if the comment was added outside of the text editor what line number should it go to?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nubi,

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP
Output: mostly HTML, also Excel and PDF

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor

Posts: 285 | Location: UK | Registered: October 26, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Nubi,

You are right, these are all challenges they will have to address but I believe that they can be addressed if/when they start supporting dialog manager.

Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
You are right, these are all challenges they will have to address but I believe that they can be addressed if/when they start supporting dialog manager.

Im not representing the offical word of IB or Dimitri but i believe they already support DM

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor

Guru
posted Hide Post
They support DM in the report painter?

Guru
posted Hide Post
no Channy they don't but as i explained in my previous mail how would they? Roll Eyes

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
There's a reason this forum is so active...

Great answer!!! Nice Thread

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
For example how would the following DM get displayed in the painter?:

-SET &DUMMY = &FLAG.(<Country,COUNTRY> <Body,BODYTYPE> <Model,MODEL>)

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM RCOST 

-IF &FLAG NE 'COUNTRY' THEN NOCOUNTRY
BY COUNTRY 

-NOCOUNTRY
-IF &FLAG NE 'BODYTYPE' THEN NOBODY
BY BODY
-NOBODY
-IF &FLAG NE 'MODEL' THEN NOMODEL

BY MODEL
-NOMODEL
END
EXIT 

answers on a postcard please Big Grin

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You can do this, then it works also....

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM RCOST
BY &DUMMY
END 
-EXIT

Big Grin

BTW there is a "-" needed before the EXIT.....

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I like your solution Frank...

I think nubi is trying to get at the overall as to how the Report Painter could handle DM. I can't share much but I think there could be ways. In a small, controlled way, it does already exist. If you choose the "User" option for output format type, they create different DM blocks for the different stylesheets for each output format that you create and they allow you to switch between them. As I said, this is a small, controlled subset of DM, but it does exist.

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I may be mistaken, but I think DM is supported, PROVIDED it is outside a TABLE FILE... or DEFINE FILE... That is one of the main reasons that I do not use the GUI.The other reason is that I used FOCUS long before GUIs were available. Just more comfortable cding by hand. I do use the GUI for formatting and styling. For that, I create a 'dummy' focexec that will open in the GUI, format and style it, and then cut and paste the generated code into my real Focexec. And all that because my DM-rich Focexec cannot be opened in the GUI.

Diptesh
WF 7.1.7 - AIX, MVS

Posts: 79 | Location: Warren, NJ, USA | Registered: October 25, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I like coding because you get so much overview. In one page you see all your join's define's and tables without any unnecessary styling code! In the GUI you need to open every component to add, change or check.

Test: WF 8.2
Prod: WF 8.2
DB: Progress, REST, IBM UniVerse/UniData, SQLServer, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Greenplum, Athena.

Posts: 454 | Location: Europe | Registered: February 05, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Frank it wasn't an example of what i'd do- our reports are far more complex then introducing a different BY field but i wasn't about to write out a whole CAR example...so my question remains- how would something 'like' that be graphially represented

quote:
Originally posted by FrankDutch:
You can do this, then it works also....

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM RCOST
BY &DUMMY
END 
-EXIT

Big Grin

BTW there is a "-" needed before the EXIT.....

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP

Guru
posted Hide Post
ah you understand, to be honest ive not used the painter since my first training session so you probably know more about it than me- i tend to agree with Frans, coding gives you more control- get used to coding and you'll never go back to the painter...

quote:
I like your solution Frank...

I think nubi is trying to get at the overall as to how the Report Painter could handle DM. I can't share much but I think there could be ways. In a small, controlled way, it does already exist. If you choose the "User" option for output format type, they create different DM blocks for the different stylesheets for each output format that you create and they allow you to switch between them. As I said, this is a small, controlled subset of DM, but it does exist.

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP