Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CASE-OPENED] Create Connection to Oracle 10g database

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CASE-OPENED] Create Connection to Oracle 10g database
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hi,
We have a problem creating a connection to an Oracle 10g database.
I am not sure if the length of the connection name FRTRACKING_PCTREAD is too long? (18 characters too long?)

We're not sure whether the database's environment may cause the inability to connect.
We do have another connection that can connect successfully to another Oracle 10g db but that db is on a different OS.

I am going to put the Oracle 10g softwares version here at the end of the text.

Does anyone know if it is the OS that is making the difference between why one connection works and the other cannot even be created?
Thank you.

Oracle 10g softwares connection that works in WF
Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.4.0 - 64bi
PL/SQL Release 10.2.0.4.0 - Production
CORE 10.2.0.4.0 Production
TNS for Solaris: Version 10.2.0.4.0 - Production
NLSRTL Version 10.2.0.4.0 - Production

Oracle 10g softwares connection that cannot even be created
Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.1.0 - 64bi
PL/SQL Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
CORE 10.2.0.1.0 Production
TNS for 64-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
NLSRTL Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WF V7.7.03
Platform: AIX 6.1 64-bit, WinXP, IE 8.0
Output Formats: Html, Pdf, Excel

<JG>
posted
The only thing that makes a difference is the version of the Oracle client on the WebFocus server box.

What you can use is determined by the OS that you are running on and the Version of WebFocus that you are using.

For 5.3.2 on AIX you should probably have a 9.2.0 client even though you are connecting to a 10G Oracle database.

Naturally the Oracle instance must be correctly configured in the TNSNAMES.ora
for the client.

The connection name is simply a logical name associated with the adapter configuration
and can be anything you like, it has no relationship to the actual target DB other than usually using a descriptive name.

If you have a configured connection that works what length is it’s name?

It is very simple to change the name to find out if length is the actual problem.

Eliminate that issue and you will then be able to see if the connection works, but if it doesn’t you should at least get some valid error messages

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Could it not also be a question of oracle being 64 bit and webfocus 32 bit?
If so, that would imply that it does not really have any influence on the solaris setup, but that it would mean windows to choke.
I do seem to remember that if you use a 64 bit oracle that you would then have to interface with it using the highest available version of the 32 bit oracle client on windows.
But I might be quite wrong here. Anyway, it's worth investigating.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi JG,
The length of that connection name that works with the Ora10g is 11 characters. I then changed it to be 18 chars like the one I'm trying to create now and tested it and it gave me the error:
(FOC1400) SQLCODE IS 12154 (HEX: 00002F7A)
(FOC1394) CONNECT FAILURE
: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name
(FOC1405) SQL PREPARE ERROR.

I'm pretty sure for us, I have to make the connection name equal the entry in the .ora file otherwise it would not work. It works when I changed it back to the original name that is the same as in the .ora file. Maybe it could be the 64-bit Windows version. The dba is checking some stuff for me right now. Thanks.

WF V7.7.03

Gold member
posted Hide Post
We are uisng Oracle Client 8.1.7 on the Dev BI Server not Oracle 92 Client. That's because the AIX V5.1 we have cannot support a higher version than Java 1.4.2 Thus, we have to sue Oracle Client 817. Thanks.

WF V7.7.03

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Sorry I meant use Oracle Client 817 not "sue".

WF V7.7.03

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Adrian,

Can you please test by adding a new entry in tnsnames that is 8 characters or less and then reconfigure the adapter? If that does not work either and you would like to pursue further, please open a case with Information Builders' Customer Support Services so that it can be tested in-house. To open a case, you may either call at 1-800-736-6130, or access online at InfoResponse.

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Kerry,
I cannot go into the tnsnames.ora file for our Dev BI Server and simply change it. I do not have access. Only the dba can do it for us.
We do have a tns entry that is longer than 8 characters for a Ora 10g connection and it works fine. The project manager here has requetsed that a port (1521) be opened for us.
Once that port is opened then I will try to connect again to the Ora 10g db.
I have already requested that the ticket be on hold thru Bj Stepien. Thanks.

WF V7.7.03