Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] WF Maintain -- if no commit is issued, does data save?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] WF Maintain -- if no commit is issued, does data save?
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
I think I'm seeing a difference between 7.6 and 7.7, but I don't see it doc'd. In 7.7, if a Maintain case comes to an end but does not explicitly issue the Commit command, are the updates in the case saved or no? I know I know, good programming practices and all that, but I have a big-*** system and a change in behavior with our conversion to 7.7.

J.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

Posts: 1012 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
John

I thought that an implicit commit was only issued at the normal ending of procedure, not end of case.

A quick test in 7.705 showed that without commit the DB was locked until end of procedure, with commit lock freed. That is what I would expect.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
So . . . when you say "procedure" you're saying the entire run of the Maintain form has to end prior to the implicit commit occurring?

J.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Basically by 'procedure' I mean from MAINTAIN to END. A child procedure adds further steps if it finished with KEEP, transaction open, or DROP, implied COMMIT.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I know of no changes to the way Maintain commits data. If you do not issue an explicit commit, the changes are made at the time of the END statement or when the application ends. There MAY be some subtle differences with the type of database or interface you are using. But that's more along the lines of record locking than changes to the database.

Mark

Posts: 663 | Location: New York | Registered: May 08, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Alright . . . I'll be honest that sounds counter-intuitive to what I've seen, but I personally always clear issue commit or rollback in any case that moves data, so I don't run into it in my code very often. I have a unit that appears to be committing half its data mid-run (because they did not code their error handling thoroughly and I'm stuck holding the bag this time).

I think I need to revise the entire unit to take the question off of the table.

The coding lesson for Monday, May 20th 2013 is:

"Always flush when you're done."

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Ok, so . . . just to make sure -- if one Maintain calls another (calls a "business unit") to perform a save, the records written in the called unit are committed when the called unit ends, correct? The commit doesn't defer to the calling Maintain?

J.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
As long as the called maintain is called with DROP, not KEEP. A KEEP can leave a transaction uncommitted.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007