As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only. Moving forward, myibi is our community platform to learn, share, and collaborate. We have the same Focal Point forum categories in myibi, so you can continue to have all new conversations there. If you need access to myibi, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and provide your corporate email address, company, and name.
Hello, I have a record that would not display its data on the CRT (via modify file...). However, when I dump the data via "table file... print" the data do appear fine. Is there any kind of non-displayable characters in Focus such that it would prevent the data from displaying on the CRT? Thanks!
(a) What's "coded D. in your CRTFORM"? (b) using Fieldname (c) No COMPUTE
The same program is displaying data for all other records in the file. It's only this one particular record that's having the hiccup. The MATCH part of the program is being executed, therefore, it appears that it found the record, but simply data are not being displayed or at least not viewable.
Sounds like that field contains one or more non-printing characters in that particular record. Can you SAVE or HOLD FORMAT ALPHA the offending record(s) and open the output in a text editor which gives you the option of viewing the data in both character and hex format (e.g. XEDIT on VM or KEDIT in Windows)? Once you have established what the character is, you can determine whether it is valid, and if so, use CTRAN() to created a COMPUTEd field which will display in MODIFY.
Posts: 15 | Location: New York | Registered: April 02, 2004
Thank you Jack for the tips on field prefix. I checked the program and T. prefix is being used. Out of curiosity, I changed the T. to D. and all data appeared except the very first requested field - even the desire field label in quotes was not displaying for this first field.
I thought perhaps this first requested field may contain special character that would prevent it from displaying. Dumped the content of this field and it looked ok. I believe there are some blurb in the documentation about conditional/non-conditional and active/inactive fields. I'm trying to digest them and make some sense out of them. In the meantime, I'm still a bit puzzled by why data would display just by changing the field prefix from T. to D.
Robin, you were correct - only some records are having problems. It's the inconsistancy that's making it hard to resolve. Something was more pressing in the last couple days which prevented me in tackling this problem. Thanks.