Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Header/Instructions upon execution

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Header/Instructions upon execution
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hello, is there a way that I can include instructions to the user on how to run a report as a header as soon as the user hits run before the parameters are inserted? Also, I know I can use Prompt, however my boss does not like that it appears as a dropdown.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

tbj
Prod WF 8.1.05,Test WF 8.1.05, WINDOWS 7 Platform, Oracle 12
Excel, PDF, Alpha

Posts: 132 | Location: Chapel Hill, NC | Registered: October 24, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
on how to run a report as a header as soon as the user hits run before the parameters are inserted

Isn't too late to tell how to run once the run is already clicked ?

If you want to add a "how to", add an hyperlink to a document that will tell how to run the report but not from the run button...it's too late !
Except if I did not understand your request properly...

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
This very much depends on what you have built, with what tool, and what sort of access you have to change things.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Martin, no it is not too late because the parameters are not entered yet.
This is what I have now, but it is ugly:
-DEFAULT &DISPLAY= ' ';
-DEFAULT &DISPLAY2= ' ';
-DEFAULT &DISPLAY3= ' ';
-DEFAULT &DISPLAY4= ' ';
-DEFAULT &DISPLAY5= ' ';

-PROMPT &DISPLAY.(Use Begin and End Date to select a Last Work Day range). .
-PROMPT &DISPLAY2.(or ). .
-PROMPT &DISPLAY3.(Use Begin and End Date to select a Benefits Term Date Range). .
-PROMPT &DISPLAY4.(or ). .
-PROMPT &DISPLAY5.(Enter Up to 10 Employee ID). .

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tracie Jones,

tbj
Excel, PDF, Alpha

Posts: 132 | Location: Chapel Hill, NC | Registered: October 24, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
To clarify your request : you want to display instructions within the auto-prompt which, I think, it's going to be a pain.
The -PROMPT feature is for simple user entry. Not fancy ones.

You should better go with an HTML page/form.
That way you'll be able to add as many "header instructions" rows you wish.

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Is there any reason you can't build an HTML launch page with parameters and instructions on it? We do that all the time.

Webfocus 8
Windows, Linux

Posts: 258 | Location: Palm Coast, FL | Registered: February 05, 2010Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Not the prettiest option, but you could create a different fex file and using the HTMLFORM block (or just create a plain html file) and use an iFrame to hold the report. You can then write your instructions above the iframe that will hold the report and the auto-prompt will be inside the iframe:

-HTMLFORM BEGIN NOEVAL
<body>
    <header id="instructions">
        <ul>Use the filters below in one of the following methods:
            <li>Use Begin and End Date to select a Last Work Day range</li>
            <li>Use Begin and End Date to select a Benefits Term Date Range</li>
            <li>Enter Up to 10 Employee ID</li>
        </ul>
    </header>
    <iframe src="/ibi_apps/run/ibfs?IBFS_path=/WFC/Repository/[domain and path to your file name].fex" style="width:100%; height:89%;border:none;"></iframe>
</body>
-HTMLFORM END

Hallway

Prod: 8202M1
Test: 8202M4
Repository:

Outputs:

Posts: 608 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT, USA | Registered: November 18, 2015Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you Hallway! OK this is the path to the report.
IBFS:/SSC Payroll Prod/WFC/Repository/hrimpl/UNCP_Non-Prod_Reports/GA_Reports/HR_Reports/EXIT2.fex

When I substitute it in your code, I am getting no source found. What am I missing?

tbj
Excel, PDF, Alpha

Master
posted Hide Post
With that IBFS path, this is how the code should look:

-HTMLFORM BEGIN NOEVAL
<body>
            [*]Use Begin and End Date to select a Last Work Day range
            [*]Use Begin and End Date to select a Benefits Term Date Range
            [*]Enter Up to 10 Employee ID
        </ul>
    </header>
    <iframe src="/ibi_apps/run/ibfs?IBFS_path=/WFC/Repository/hrimpl/UNCP_Non-Prod_Reports/GA_Reports/HR_Reports/EXIT2.fex" style="width:100%; height:89%;border:none;"></iframe>
</body>
-HTMLFORM END

If that doesn't work, then just run the EXIT2.fex to a new tab like you normally would from the WebFOCUS Home Page, and then copy the URI path from (and including) the "/ibi_apps/..." and replace that in the src attribute of the iframe. You don't need to copy the scheme (ie http:) nor the authority (ie: host (server) name (ie. http[s]://hostname[.domain.com] ). you just need to copy the path. That way it will stay dynamic.

For more info on a URI structure, see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ifier#Generic_syntax

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hallway,

Hallway

Repository:

Outputs:

Posts: 608 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT, USA | Registered: November 18, 2015Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Here is an example of the URI structure:
"          userinfo       host      port
          ┌──┴───┐ ┌──────┴──────┐ ┌┴┐
  https://john.doe@www.example.com:123/forum/questions/?tag=networking&order=newest#top
  └─┬─┘   └───────────┬──────────────┘└───────┬───────┘ └───────────┬─────────────┘ └┬┘
  scheme          authority                  path                 query           fragment

"
You need the path and the query in the iframe as the src

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hallway,

Hallway

Repository:

Outputs:

Master
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I give up on this stupid forum reformatting my code.

Just follow the link to a real website that will show the correct structure https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/..._Identifier#Examples

Hallway

Repository:

Outputs:

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
that did not work either. The second thing you told me to try, copied the parameters I used to run the report and just spit out the report with the old parameters. I need it to ask the user for the parameters each time upon execution.
Below is the link when exit2.fex is called, I put in parameters, and this is the link to the report.

/ibi_apps/WFServlet?PG_REQTYPE=REDIRECT&PG_MRsaved=false&PG_Func=GETBINARY&PG_File=ljwdrlty.pdf

This is the link when I hit run, without putting in any parameters

http://webfocusp41-ga.uncecs.e..._apps/WFServlet.ibfs

tbj
Excel, PDF, Alpha

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
LOL ok

quote:
Originally posted by Hallway:

Just follow the link to a real website that will show the correct structure https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/..._Identifier#Examples

tbj
Excel, PDF, Alpha

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
ok so I used this
/ibi_apps/WFServlet?PG_REQTYPE=REDIRECT&PG_MRsaved=false&PG_Func=GETBINARY&PG_File

But now my instructions are gone....the parameters came up though!

tbj
Excel, PDF, Alpha

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hallway:
With that IBFS path, this is how the code should look:

-HTMLFORM BEGIN NOEVAL
<body>
            [*]Use Begin and End Date to select a Last Work Day range
            [*]Use Begin and End Date to select a Benefits Term Date Range
            [*]Enter Up to 10 Employee ID
        </ul>
    </header>
    <iframe src="/ibi_apps/run/ibfs?IBFS_path=/WFC/Repository/hrimpl/UNCP_Non-Prod_Reports/GA_Reports/HR_Reports/EXIT2.fex" style="width:100%; height:89%;border:none;"></iframe>
</body>
-HTMLFORM END

If that doesn't work, then just run the EXIT2.fex to a new tab like you normally would from the WebFOCUS Home Page, and then copy the URI path from (and including) the "/ibi_apps/..." and replace that in the src attribute of the iframe. You don't need to copy the scheme (ie httpSmiler nor the authority (ie: host (server) name (ie. http[s]://hostname[.domain.com] ). you just need to copy the path. That way it will stay dynamic.

For more info on a URI structure, see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ifier#Generic_syntax

Again... This stupid forum has reformatted my code and replaced my angle brackets with square brackets. 😡

I'll try this one last time:

<body>
<li>Use Begin and End Date to select a Last Work Day range
<li>Use Begin and End Date to select a Benefits Term Date Range
<li>Enter Up to 10 Employee ID
</ul>
</header>
</body>

Hallway

Repository:

Outputs:

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
still doesnt work...the instructions show but I get a 404 Error, Source not found in the frame...#sigh

-HTMLFORM BEGIN NOEVAL

Use the filters below in one of the following methods:

• Use Begin and End Date to select a Last Work Day range OR

• Use Begin and End Date to select a Benefits Term Date range OR

• Enter Up to 10 Employee ID

<iframe src=" <iframe src="/ibi_apps/run/ibfs?IBFS_path=/WFC/Repository/hrimpl/UNCP_Non-Prod_Reports/GA_Reports/HR_Reports/EXIT2.fex" style="width:100%; height:89%;border:none;">"

-HTMLFORM END

tbj
Excel, PDF, Alpha

Master
posted Hide Post
Open the dev tool in the browser and go to the iframe and see what the src is in the iframe. Make sure that the URI is the same i that iframe as the UIR is when you run the report to a new tabe from the WebFOCUS Home Page. Make sure that you are running it from the web portal, and not AppStudio. AppStudio doesn't show you the full URI. Only running the report from the web to a new tab will show you.

Hallway

Repository:

Outputs:

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tracie Jones:
that did not work either. The second thing you told me to try, copied the parameters I used to run the report and just spit out the report with the old parameters. I need it to ask the user for the parameters each time upon execution.
Below is the link when exit2.fex is called, I put in parameters, and this is the link to the report.

/ibi_apps/WFServlet?PG_REQTYPE=REDIRECT&PG_MRsaved=false&PG_Func=GETBINARY&PG_File=ljwdrlty.pdf

This is the link when I hit run, without putting in any parameters

http://webfocusp41-ga.uncecs.e..._apps/WFServlet.ibfs

This looks like a link from when the fex is run in AppStudio. Can you run the exit2.fex from the web portal?

Hallway

Repository:

Outputs:

Master
posted Hide Post
Try going here and see if you can navigate to the report and run it in a new tab
http://webfocusp41-ga.uncecs.edu:8080/ibi_apps/

Hallway

Repository:

Outputs:

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, I can run it fine via Developer Studio.

I get this when I go to http://webfocusp41-ga.uncecs.edu:8080/ibi_apps/

401 - Unauthorized

You are not authorized to view this page

tbj
Excel, PDF, Alpha

Master
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Okay then, in the future, when an end user is going to access this report, how would they do that?

Hallway

Repository:

Outputs:

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
We drop it into their webfocus folder and they run it via Developer or the dashboard. I work for the UNC System,so I would drop it into all the UNC campuses folders.

tbj
Excel, PDF, Alpha

Master
posted Hide Post
I sent you a Private Message. Let's continue this on that thread to avoid the potential of sharing too much private information.

Hallway

Repository:

Outputs:

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh come on Mr Hallway, just change the : in the url to &colon; and it should be fine.

Like so ...
          userinfo       host      port
          ┌──┴───┐ ┌──────┴──────┐ ┌┴┐
  https://john.doe@www.example.com:123/forum/questions/?tag=networking&order=newest#top
  └─┬─┘   └───────────┬──────────────┘└───────┬───────┘ └───────────┬─────────────┘ └┬┘
  scheme          authority                  path                 query           fragment

WinkWinkWink

Hope you and the team are all well!

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post