Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CASE-OPENED] Carriage returns in PDF

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CASE-OPENED] Carriage returns in PDF
 Login/Join

Master
posted
I have a need to insert a carriage return into a field in PDF. Apparently this is not possible by default... smh. So normally I would issue HEXBYT(13,'A1') for the decimal value of Carriage return. Of course the PDF doesn't recognize that.... So apparently I need to declare in the stylesheet that the LINEBREAK character is a Carriage return. Well InfoAssist errors out if you do that. Does anyone know how I can do this within InfoAssist. I need to be able to do so without dropping to code.

Oh by the way, if you add it into the default stylesheet... you can't open anything in InfoAssist because it will always error out.... smh...

any suggestions are appreciated.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tamra,

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I though there was some SET command for this.

At least thats what I remember seeing on the forum.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestion Waz, but if there is a SET command I can't find it. The only thing I can find is the StyleSheet command. And of course Info Assist can't handle that command. If you happen to come across the set command I'd like to know what it is. Probably won't help anyways since InfoAssist errors out on so many documented commands. But hey its worth a try.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Eric,

My thought is to create a compute or define to an equivalent character. HEXBYT is not available in the list of functions in IA.

I did find this:
forcing carriagereturn linefeed into /A field for pdf

Thank you for participating in the Focal Point Forum.

Kindest regards,
Tamra Colangelo
Focal Point Moderator - Information Builders Inc.

WebFOCUS 8x - BI Portal, Developer Studio, App Studio, Excel, PDF, Active Formats and HTML5

Posts: 487 | Location: Toronto | Registered: June 23, 2009Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only thing I can find is the StyleSheet command.

That maybe be what I remembered.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions Tamra,

I'm actually already using HEXBYT(13,'A1'). This function is actually a part of the listed functions in Info Assist. Its under Format Conversion. The problem though is that the PDF doesn't respect the carriage return or linefeed characters. The way for the PDF to treat the Carriage return as a linebreak is to define it in the Style Sheet. This is how the link you are referring to achieves this. I also came across that link as well, and if I were coding it myself I could do that. But unfortunately, the developers who are trying to achieve this are utilizing InfoAssist at IBI's direction. Supposedly InfoAssist is capable of satisfying the majority of a developers needs according to IBI.

Anyways, as soon as I add the style sheet command through a text editor, I can no longer open Info Assist. If I put it in the Default Style Sheet, I can't open any Info Assist files.

I'm working with my Technical Account Manager to find a solution, but in the meantime I was hoping someone might have an IA "approved" answer to do basic things.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Eric,

There is a recent New Feature Request in programming asking for - "Ability to add carriage return through the GUI".

The project is for AppStudio. If it is worked out for AppStudio then this should be added to InfoAssist as well. Please open a case and request to be added to this project. You can mention my name then it can be assigned to me and I will note down the project for this reference

So, for now its back to code for this.

Thanks for your patience and participating in the Focal Point Forum.

Kindest regards,
Tamra Colangelo
Focal Point Moderator - Information Builders Inc.

WebFOCUS 8x - BI Portal, Developer Studio, App Studio, Excel, PDF, Active Formats and HTML5

Posts: 487 | Location: Toronto | Registered: June 23, 2009Report This Post