Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Can you please help me how to create Data Adapter for Flat file in Mainframe

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Can you please help me how to create Data Adapter for Flat file in Mainframe
 Login/Join

<arunshankar>
posted
Hi ,

Can you please help me how to create Data Adapter for Flat file in Mainframe or My requirement is to create a report by using Mainframe Flat files instead of DB2 Database. Please help me .

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Arun,

1. Please update your signature so that we can know with what version of Focus or WebFocus you are working.
2. Do you have a layout for your flat file- i.e. a list of fields and their formats?
3. I would suggest that before you embark on this type of venture, you learn about Master files, data definitions etc. A course would be most beneficial.

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
WebFocus reads flat files very easily. You need to read the documentation as these files generally require you to type in the description in the Master File editor.

Release 7.6.9
Windows
HTML

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Arun,

To extract reports from mainframe flat files, you need to create the master file definition (MFD) of the flat files and then using native Focus you can allocate the file to the MFD and run the reports.

Shrikant

FOCUS 7.2.3
Platform: IBM system Z9 Business class
O/P formats: Flat files, excel and CSV files

Posts: 39 | Location: Hyderabad, India | Registered: April 28, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
The kicker here people is that it appears that arunshankar is running WF on a Windows box. Unless there is some virtualization tool that will allow a windows box to look at a mainframe dataset as a mapped drive, there is not a way to get access to data on the mainframe for reporting from a windows-based WF server.

Your options? Buy a license for a data server on the mainframe (major $$$) or set up a process to FTP your mainframe files to a network or local directory that your Windows box can access.

If your WF server were on the mainframe (either MVS or Unix system services), then access would only require a master file something like the following example:

FILENAME=CLMHIST,SUFFIX=FIX
DATASET='PROD.WORK.IBWHSE.CLMINFO(0)'
FIELD=CLM_KEY ,CLM_KEY ,A9 ,A9 ,$
FIELD=TIME_STAMP ,TIME_STAMP ,A26 ,A26 ,$
FIELD=CLM_NBR ,CLM_NBR ,P9 ,A9 ,$
FIELD=LOG_USR ,LOG_USR ,A8 ,A8 ,$

with access the the referenced dataset. No additional adapters needed.

But if you really are trying to get to them from a windows WF server, you're probably out of luck without one of those two options.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
<JG>
posted
It's called a SUBSERVER.

However the file has to be allocated, or no go.

And manual mapping is required on the host.

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
You help me understand Why I feel tired.
Reading a Flat file seems to be complicated for a Windows Based WF.
I think That Focus for Dos did that all right.
C and F

Focus Mainframe 7.6.11
Dev Studio 7.6.11 and !!!
PC Focus, Focus for OS/2, FFW Six, MSO

Posts: 134 | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
<JG>
posted
Baillecl

There is absolutely no difference in the way that DOS FOCUS and Windows WebFOCUS read flat files.

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
JG,
Of course There is absolutely no difference in the way that DOS FOCUS and Windows WebFOCUS read flat files.
But all the words around could make think that this very basic function of Focus is complicated ...
And THAT makes me tired
C and F

Focus Mainframe 7.6.11
Dev Studio 7.6.11 and !!!
PC Focus, Focus for OS/2, FFW Six, MSO

Posts: 134 | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
And is that why you are yawning?

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post