Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     URL is not opening when recieve as email by Report caster

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
URL is not opening when recieve as email by Report caster
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
I have a report which have a URL in the report header.The url was coded with following logic,

TYPE=HEADING,
LINE=13,
OBJECT=TEXT,
ITEM=1,
TARGET='_blank',
JAVASCRIPT=location.href('&VURL') ,
$

This url is working fine , when I run this report directly in my report server .When I schedule this report in the report caster , I recieve the report in the email with same formating and link also visible, but when I click on the link of the url , it is not opening the url but just flickering when click.I tried the view source and it looks like somany spaces are added(%20) after the correct url address.

Why this is coming as spaces only in mail?

Note:-
I am getting the value of &VURL from a database column defined as VARCHAR2(250) and corresponding metadata datatype is
FIELD=REPORT_URL, ALIAS=REPORT_URL, USAGE=A250V, ACTUAL=A250V, MISSING=ON, $

How can I remove space before sending the VURL to the style command? Will STRREP useful for this?

Regards,
Johney.

Version 7.6.11
Webfocus installed in AIX 5.3,
desktop PC: Windows-XP based
Output: Excel, HTML, PDF

Expert
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this will solve your URL problem, but if you use the TRUNCATE function on a Dialogue Manager variable, it will remove the trailing blanks. Here's a test program:

-SET &TEST1 = 'APPLE                 ';

-SET &TEST2 = TRUNCATE(&TEST1);

-TYPE LENGTH OF TEST1: &TEST1.LENGTH
-TYPE LENGTH OF TEST2: &TEST2.LENGTH

I find the TRUNCATE function is poorly documented in the 5.3.2 docs - it isn't included in the Function Reference section of the docs, but in the "Creating and Working With Local and Global Variables" section.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
It's possible your company/client site may be disabling scripting from within your email client (ex. Outlook). If you're sending the report as an inline message, try it as an attachment.

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2003,SQL Server 2005,Oracle

Posts: 125 | Location: New England | Registered: February 20, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
aha what you describe makes perfect sense.
HTML ignores multiple blank spaces, by default, but the field containing all those extra blanks, brought from your original database, is honored, spaces and all, in other formats.
i would have suggested TRIM function, but Francis's TRUNCATE looks cooler.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi ,

I have solved the problem by escaping & = { } characters using below commands.

-SET &VURL = STRREP(&VURL.LENGTH, &VURL, 4, '&', 1, '%26', &VURL.LENGTH, 'A&VURL.LENGTH');
-SET &VURL = STRREP(&VURL.LENGTH, &VURL, 4, '=', 1, '%3D', &VURL.LENGTH, 'A&VURL.LENGTH');
-SET &VURL = STRREP(&VURL.LENGTH, &VURL, 4, '{', 1, '%7B', &VURL.LENGTH, 'A&VURL.LENGTH');
-SET &VURL = STRREP(&VURL.LENGTH, &VURL, 4, '}', 1, '%7D', &VURL.LENGTH, 'A&VURL.LENGTH');

Also , I used URL=&VURL NOW instead of JAVASCRIPT=location.href('&VURL') which I was trying earlier and now it is working even inline email .

I still have lot of doubts about creation of a hyperlink using different methods as below ,

JAVASCRIPT= window.open('&VURL), -* 1
JAVASCRIPT= location.href('&VURL), -* 2
URL=&VURL, -* 3

When I used method 1

I did not escape the url except & and it worked fine in direct run in reporting server and attached mail using report caster.but inline links are not going to the location but just seems like flickering.And when we save the "View sorce" as n HTM for these cases and execute then the link is opening correctly. Also there was an additional window opening with "[object]" as content in that.

When I used method 2,

It was same result except it was not opening the additional unwanted window.Inline urls just flickered but not opened.

When I used method 3

I had to escape & = { } to get everything work fine. Using this method I am able to open the link even in email inline message.I am able to open it in any method , and I am happy in this method.

Regards,
Johney.

Version 7.6.11
Webfocus installed in AIX 5.3,
desktop PC: Windows-XP based
Output: Excel, HTML, PDF