Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Textarea
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
I have a textarea in an html that calls a FOCEXEC.

When I uaser hit Enter and runs the FOCEXEC, they get: (FOC257) MISSING QUOTE MARKS.

Has any anyone used a textarea that allows I user to hit Enter?

Fernando

Prod WF 8.1.04, QA WF 8.2.03, Dev WF 8.2.03

posted Hide Post
Fernando,

It sounds like that you have a submit button on your html page which is picking up the enter - eg
<input type=submit ...>

Try changing the submit button to just a button type with javascript to sumbit the form.

<input type=button value=Submit onclick="document.form(0).submit();">

WebFOCUS 8.1.04; SQL Server 2012; Windows 7; Windows Server 2012 R2;

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
please provide sample code to understand the exact problem you refering to.

-Yogesh Patel
------------------------------------------------------------------------
PROD: WF 764 on Linux Apache tomcat v5.5
DEV: WF 768 on Linux

Posts: 42 | Location: Edison, New Jersey | Registered: January 30, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
What I meant was that a user can hit enter will inside the textarea. They move to another and keep typing. They usually create many new lines this way.

After they press the run button (which is a submit) to run the focexec. The focexec complains about missing quotes.

Hope this clears it up,

Fernando

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Fernando,

Textareas are really not supported they way other input types are supported. If you input goes beyond a single line of text, then it builds the parm something like:

-SET &input = 'this is the first line
this is the second line';

This is where your error message is coming from. You can split the value, and then send each line as it's own parm, but you still have to blank our the textarea value before submission. If you call me in the office I could help you through this one.

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I have done several parm pages that execute a focexec, textarea if done right get treated similar to a textfield.
- When you have a text area on your html page , you passing the value entered in there as an alpha field enclosed in a quote mark or you putting that amper variable in your focexec within two single quote marks, I suspect that either user enter text in the text area contains a single quote mark or when you parse it into your focexec it does not have opening and ending quote marks.
- To debug this issue, I suggest putting &ECHO='ALL' in your focexec and see how the text area value being processed/parse'd in the fex code.
Hope this help solve your problem !!
quote:
Originally posted by Fernando:
What I meant was that a user can hit enter will inside the textarea. They move to another and keep typing. They usually create many new lines this way.

After they press the run button (which is a submit) to run the focexec. The focexec complains about missing quotes.

Hope this clears it up,

Fernando

-Yogesh Patel
------------------------------------------------------------------------
PROD: WF 764 on Linux Apache tomcat v5.5
DEV: WF 768 on Linux

Posts: 42 | Location: Edison, New Jersey | Registered: January 30, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hey Daryl,

You were correct the parms is being built incorrectly. My solution was to use javascript to change the Enters into spaces, which works well for me.

Fernando