Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED]HTML Composer - drop down controls

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED]HTML Composer - drop down controls
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
I have 5 drop down controls on an HTML composer page. When these are single select drop downs they show up fine. I change the multiple property to yes. Now if you expand the list of values it shows up behind the one below it. I've rebuilt it 3-4 times but they always come up behind the one below it. Any suggestions?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Emily McAllister>,

WebFOCUS 8104, Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
Yes to the suggestion:

Start at the last Drop Down List (DDL) in the chain and "Bring To Front" for each one...

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I think this is the same issue we ran into with our dashboards. When you expand a multi select drop down box it changes the z-index of the control.

Whenever we use multi selects that are above eachother on the page we have to add an onfocus() event that changes the z-index of the multi selects below it.

function combobox8_onfocus(ctrl) {
combobox9.style.zIndex="-1";
combobox10.style.zIndex="-1";
} 

combobox9 and combobox10 are below combobox8

WF 8 Version 8008
Windows 7 Professional

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
No dice with onfocus(). I'm so at a loss here. I've rebuilt them and still they want to come up behind the one below it.

Guru
posted Hide Post
Have had the similar problem when I was trying to expand the parameter options in the existing html and ends up rebuilt with the fresh page. Sweating

-Rifaz

WebFOCUS 7.7.x and 8.x

Posts: 406 | Location: India | Registered: June 13, 2013Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Rev1

Are you using jQuery??? You may want to play with the F12 or developer tools to identify the control covering the combobox or identify the object that is listing the values and change its z-index. The issue is that the combobox was never designed to be a multiselect and there are a number of components involve to making it work. Use the Listbox and the issue will probably go away.

You probably have exposed a bug in the software, report it.

Thanks Barry

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 34 | Registered: September 08, 2015Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Unfortunatly, switching to a list box isn't going to happen. This has worked in the past. Had it never worked I could have convinced the Business Analyst to make a change.

I have tried playing with the z-index but no change. Going to start it from scratch and hope I can figure this out.

Below is IBI's case response on it. I didn't have any luck rebuilding things this way. I'm not even sure why them setting the property automatically or me setting it manually would make any difference.

"Generally speaking, you do not want to modify the multiple property.

The multiple property is automatically set by the construct of the WHERE
statement. Here is a sample WHERE that will automatically set the
multiple property.......

WHERE COUNTRY EQ &COUNTRY.(OR(FIND COUNTRY IN car)).Country.;

I would suggest, revising your WHERE statement so they are multiple enabled, then (make a backup first so you can revert if needed) the controls that are not working correctly in your htmlform, and then relink the hyperlink.
When there is an unresolved variable, we will make a control. If the WHERE
is multiple enabled, then it will be automatically set. I cannot really
say how to fix what you are describing, other than to remove those mis- behaving controls, and re-add them (multiple enabled like you want them)

Plan B would depend on how complicated your HTMLFORM is, but you might just multiple WHERE enable your report, and start over on the htmlform. If you weigh it out, it can be faster to start over, than to try to fix some items.

Can you review multiple enabling your WHERE statments, then either make a new htmlform, or delete / refresh the hyperlink in your existing form.
"

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Rev

Tech supports response was a good response and I would not rebuild everything just rebuild the control and whats below the control then go from there. You will have to use F12 (developer tool) and identify the various components of the combobox (when setting the combobox to multiple it becomes more complex in that its customized to handle multiple values). I believe that when you click on the down arrow a listbox is displayed and it may have a different id or name than the combobox control. I am not sure that I am explaining it correctly but wish you the best...

Thanks Barry

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 34 | Registered: September 08, 2015Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Generally speaking, you do not want to modify the multiple property.

This is the type of thing that frustrates us about IBI... As a user I expect the properties that are available in HTML composer to work, and if they don't work then they should not be available in HTML composer. IBI's response is lazy and doesn't offer further insight into WHY the multiple property in HTML composer is unreliable, and furthermore, what action items will be taken to ensure IBI devs fix multiple property unreliability. (ranting done!)

I'd be interested in seeing if IBI's solution works. Thanks for the info Rev

WF 8 Version 8008
Windows 7 Professional

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I would agree with you GrileS. This should have been a 5 minute adjustment. I did try their solutions but it didn't gain me anything. I created an example with CAR and put it out for them to look at. I haven't heard anything back at this point.

I did try starting over but the same thing occurs.

Guru
posted Hide Post
Please give me your case number or steps to repro in detail

-Rifaz

WebFOCUS 7.7.x and 8.x

Posts: 406 | Location: India | Registered: June 13, 2013Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Case is 23033554.

Really to reproduce it all I'm doing is drawing 2 dropdowns in HTML composer.

1. File/New/HTML Document
2. Select HTML Page
3. Draw to dropdowns controls. One above the other.
4. Open properties and set multiple = Yes and Multiple: Add Quotes = Yes
5. Repeat for other drop down.
6. Add values to the drop down.
7. Run.
8. Sometimes drill down will start out showing behind, other times you have to add a value to the lowest drop down and then the upper will fall behind. Which makes me think GrileS is right and it's losing focus.

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I did some playing today. I put alerts in to check the z index on the document onload event and both dropdown onfocus events.

alert(document.getElementById("campact").style.zIndex);

When the page loads the z indexes are set to individual numbers. When a drop down gets focus it seems to change that z index to 1000. They all seem to go to 1000.

I took a page from griles function(above) to modify the Z index but I put it in the onload event and set every drilldown straight to 1000.

document.getElementById("campact").style.zIndex = "1000";

This seemed to "fix" the problem or at least stabilize the problem. It was no longer switching as to which one was on top. Some did still come up behind but swapping which one is on top now fix's it.

posted Hide Post
Rev1

Great to see you managed a workaround! We use similar logic on all of our multi-selects. Smiler

WF 8 Version 8008
Windows 7 Professional