Focal Point
[SOLVED] Concept of alias.

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/6197015296

February 05, 2020, 06:03 PM
Manoj
[SOLVED] Concept of alias.
Hi,

We are using OBI EE currently, which will be replaced by WebFOCUS.

I have been (lightly) reading WebFOCUS product suite manuals and it seems that AppStudio and WebDesigner seem to be the correct tools to expose the physical sources' metadata.

In OBI EE's Administrator tool, we first connect to the sources of data (needed for reporting), build a physical model, then a logical model and then a presentation model (which is exposed for building dashboards).

In the physical model, we create joins (say between dimensions and facts). We create aliases too. An alias is a virtual copy of an existing physical table. For example, we have DIM_DATE table in a database. We import the definition of the table into the tool, then we create different aliases based on the table's definition, for example, DIM_DATE_SALES, DIM_DATE_SHIP, DIM_DATE_BILL, etc..

I have come across a concept in WebFOCUS (sorry not able to correctly use the tool name here, available in WebFOCUS suite - a separate post is just now created to get clarification) which is SYNONYM. Is it same as an ALIAS in OBI EE?

How would I create different 'flavours' of the same physical table in WebFOCUS?

Could you please let me know?

Kind regards,

Manoj.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

Newbie.
WebFOCUS 8.2.0.3.
Client 8.2.0.4.
February 06, 2020, 07:24 AM
MartinY
See my reply from your other post.
Same answer : contact your local IBI rep

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007
February 06, 2020, 08:35 AM
BabakNYC
Bookmark https://kb.informationbuilders.com/webfocus-8207-pdfs

and review some of the doc. The answer to your question can be found in Describing Data with WebFOCUS Language. That's where you create the metadata necessary for content development.

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows
February 06, 2020, 05:43 PM
Manoj
Thanks MartinY and BabakNYC.

Newbie.
WebFOCUS 8.2.0.3.
Client 8.2.0.4.
February 07, 2020, 08:08 AM
Danny-SRL
Manoj,
I suggest that once you get your Product suite installed, you will know better what you will be working with. Then you could come back to the forum with specific questions.
You will find that there always will be someone to help.
Users of the forum will often put up solutions (you will see the WF allows for more than one way to skin a... piece of software).
Good luck!

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

February 08, 2020, 02:02 PM
Manoj
Thanks Daniel.

Newbie.
WebFOCUS 8.2.0.3.
Client 8.2.0.4.