Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CASE-OPENED] HFREEZE assist

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CASE-OPENED] HFREEZE assist
 Login/Join

posted
I'm looking for anyone with a depth of knowledge of HFREEZE. I've read every little bit on Focal Point and throughout the IBI technical manuals about HFREEZE, but still only come up wth the same shallow use.

My problem is in controlling the output, particularly column widths. The best usage of the command for what I want to do is:

ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON

ON TABLE SET STYLE *
SQUEEZE=OFF,
$

TYPE=REPORT,
HFREEZE=TOP,
$

A photo or the redacted report is here:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com...753_785a0562cf_b.jpg

Notice in the column "DESCRIPTION" the amount of space to the right of "STAFF BEN-T/R OUT-ST". That is what I want to get rid of.

From the WebFOCUS documentation: SQUEEZE=OFF Assigns column widths based on the field format specified in the Master File. This value pads the column width to the length of the column title or field format descriptions, whichever is greater.

The field "DESCRIPTION" has a format of A20, and in fact the HTML output sets the CSS STYLE for that column to 20:

<COL STYLE="WIDTH:20em">

You can see that the data actually has 20 characters in it, but at least 1/3 of the column is padded out with whitespace.

I need to reduce this space to get the whole width of the report to fit into a screen width. The report when generated as standard HTML fits with room to spare, but this arbitrary padding makes the report too wide. I could write a complex JavaScript to handle this, but I shouldn't have to. Does anyone have experience with working with HFREEZE and getting output exactly as they like?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WF 7.6.8
Reporting Server on OpenVMS

Posts: 5 | Location: New brunswick, NJ | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You can use SQUEEZE to specify a column width in HTML output. Data that doesn't fit the specified width gets wrapped.

TABLE FILE CAR
 PRINT COUNTRY CAR MODEL BODYTYPE SEATS
 ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
 ON TABLE SET STYLE *
  TYPE=REPORT, HFREEZE=TOP, $
  TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=COUNTRY, SQUEEZE=1.0, $
  TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=CAR, SQUEEZE=1.2, $
  TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=MODEL, SQUEEZE=2.0, $
 ENDSTYLE
END

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
We are having similar issues with HFREEZE as discussed above. When we have HFREEZE=ON, the report width is considerably wider than with HFREEZE=OFF despite putting WRAP statements to force column widths. Any reason why HFREEZE would widen the columns on the report ?
Here is my code.......

TABLE FILE CAR
HEADING CENTER
"CAR DATA WITH HFREEZE"
" "
PRINT COUNTRY CAR MODEL
-* BODYTYPE SEATS
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
INCLUDE=endeflt,
$
TYPE=REPORT, HFREEZE=ON, $
TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=COUNTRY, WRAP=1.0, $
TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=CAR, WRAP=1.0, $
TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=MODEL, WRAP=1.0, $
ENDSTYLE
FOOTING CENTER
"RUN ON: &DATEDMYY AT: &TOD "
" "
END
-EXIT

Ian

Posts: 196 | Location: London, UK | Registered: December 06, 2005Report This Post
<Kathryn Henning>
posted
Hi Ian,

Please open a case on InfoResponse Online so that we can look into this issue.

Thanks and regards,

Kathryn

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Ian, what happens if you get rid of
INCLUDE=endeflt,
$

hfreeze works for me with squeeze and/or wrap

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Susannah,
Tried your suggestion with the removal of the INCLUDE=endeflt,
statement but makes no diffrence. Report is still wider with HREEZE=ON.
Regards,
Ian (in positively balmy London - 10 deg. C)

Posts: 196 | Location: London, UK | Registered: December 06, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Have raised a case as suggested by Kathryn.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Try applying SQUEEZE to the column as a whole, and WRAP to the data cells within it:
type=report,column=DESCRIPTION,squeeze=on,$
type=data,column=DESCRIPTION,wrap=1.25,$

With a little bit of luck, when all the data is "thin" the column will contract, and when any of it is "fat" the column will expand up to 1.25 and the data will wrap within that.

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Sorry Jack made no difference.
I put....
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
INCLUDE=endeflt,
$
type=report,HFREEZE=ON, $
type=report,column=DESCRIPTION,squeeze=on,$
type=data,column=DESCRIPTION,wrap=1.25,$
$
ENDSTYLE

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I would open the hood (bonnet?) and analyze the generated HTML code.

Cut down the report to a few rows, run it with and without HFREEZE, and compare the generated HTML to see what's behind the difference in behavior. -- Of course, the gremlin may lie partly or entirely in dynamic changes to the style attributes when HFREEZE=ON is used, but it's a good starting point.

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Will give it a whirl and let you know. Thanks Jack.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Ian,

Sorry I missed this!

Do not forget that when you use WIDTH or WRAP they must be applied on a TYPE=REPORT.

Using your original sample code with this correction works fine for me on 7.7.03.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Sorry Tony - tried your suggestion using stylesheet below but HFREEZE=ON still gives a wider report (7.7.03).
Ian

ON TABLE SET STYLE *
INCLUDE=endeflt,
$
TYPE=REPORT, COLUMN=COUNTRY, WRAP=1.0, $
TYPE=REPORT, COLUMN=CAR, WRAP=1.0, $
TYPE=REPORT, COLUMN=MODEL, WRAP=2.0, $
ENDSTYLE

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Ian,

Running your code from above in 7.7.03, with your later styling produces a narrowed output -
TABLE FILE CAR
HEADING CENTER
"CAR DATA WITH HFREEZE"
" "
PRINT COUNTRY CAR MODEL 
-* BODYTYPE SEATS
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
INCLUDE=endeflt,
$
TYPE=REPORT, COLUMN=COUNTRY, WRAP=1.0, $
TYPE=REPORT, COLUMN=CAR, WRAP=1.0, $
TYPE=REPORT, COLUMN=MODEL, WRAP=2.0, $
ENDSTYLE
FOOTING CENTER
"RUN ON: &DATEDMYY AT: &TOD "
" "
END
-EXIT

Produces the one on the left. The one on the right is with the original code (e.g. TYPE=DATA plus your change to WRAP=2.0 for MODEL).

T

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tony A,

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Tony, Agreed that it is narrower but still considerably wider than with HFREEZE=OFF.
I think Jack's earlier comment re analyzing the generated HTML code could be the go.
Cheers,
Ian

Expert
posted Hide Post
Indeed, and the main problem that exists is the inclusion of the two three <colgroup> tags. If you capture the HTML and comment these two three occurences out then your output is as you would wish.

Now the problem. You cannot affect the HTML produced without post parsing it as an HTMTABLE output.

T

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tony A,

In FOCUS
since 1986

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Yes I see what you mean Tony - as I said earlier I have raised a case so will see what comes out of that !!