Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [RANT] BID - Changing the name of a block

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[RANT] BID - Changing the name of a block
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
Has anyone else found it annoying that if you change the name of an MRE report, it is not automatically reflected in the BID block title?

I edited the personal.xml file of a user, found the old name in the "properties" tag, changed the name, saved the file, reloaded BID, but the name still displayed as the old name. I suspect the old name is (for some completely unexplainable reason) encoded in the "Title" tag
Title="765ca9b110e8799da4b2b5d250b6a19fd6e38f99761aaac74bcd5a97bd398f5265db1b7d7ae7e591419e7302d6db43202f4a3fdGb0a8bc0a29dG62769996aad1339bc61226f1ed9G493a77e2ca03eccb

I do not want to open ViewBuilder, rename the MRE report in the block and then reassign all the users to that view, I should be able to do this from modifying the xml file.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi,
I'm not sure what release you are experiencing this behavior in. However, I tested under WebFOCUS 767 and if I rename a standard report in the Managed Reporting. If I go back into the Dashboard I can see the updated standard report name under the domain list, under a list block or if I go into the Viewbuilder / Edit Content.
If you are not seeing this behavior I would suggest you open a case with Technical Support so that they can review your issue.

Expert
posted Hide Post
RANT
i like that, Francesco!
Is the particlar bid view the user's default view? if so, does it automatically get stuck as that user's 'MyView'? is that what you mean by 'editing the personal.xml'...did you edit it in the worp_users ?
i've been tripping over that problem..if a view is a user's default...you can never to ANYTHING to the view that the user will see...unless you go formally reassign that user to the same, newly edited view. so we've had to assign users to some benign uninformative view so they never get stuck in 'MyView' limbo...
Is that what you're talking about?

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this behaviour changed after v5.3 or if I've misunderstood BI Dashboard all these many year.

We group users into MRE Groups. We set up MRE Domains. We use BI Dashboard ViewBuilder to create Group Views. When a user logs in to BI Dashboard (this is where the assumptions begin) for the first time, the Group View is copied to the User View (I don't know if this is a "My View"). Each user that logged in to BI Dashboard has a folder in C:\ibi\WebFOCUS53\worp\worp_users\user-id with one file, personal.xml that describes the view they see.

When we make a change to the Group View, like adding a new tab or removing a block, after the modifications we have to "re-assign" the users in the group and replace their views with the modified Group View (select "Replace User Content with View Content") (I'd give up one of my eyeteeth to eliminate this step). The next time the user logs in, the new view is displayed (and I assume, the personal.xml is replaced with the modified view).

Now, outside of BID, if you rename an MRE program, and it is in a block in one of the BID tabs, the block name does not get changed - the reason is obvious, because, when originally adding the MRE program to the block, you may change the name of the block (which starts off with the MRE program name).

{b}This is the problem:{/b] It seems the only way to change the BID block name is to open ViewBuilder, select a view and select Edit Content, select a block and select Edit Block, change the name of the block, save, save. Then Manage Users, select users, Reassign, select the view to reassign to, select "Replace User Content with View Content", click Submit.

I thought the name of the block would be visible in the personal.xml of the users that are assigned the view. The name is there, three times per block - Title, properties, wf_path:

Title="765ca9b110e8799da8e82f8ededf10b0d6e38f99761aaac74bcd5a97bd398f5265db1b7d7ae7e591419e7302d6db43202f4a3fdGb0a8bc0a9347c12b744c60eG"

properties="no||crmact2+-+CRM+Activity+Summary||stndRpts/CRM||Enterprise+Intelligence||1220553021000||2644||immediate||app%2Fcrmact2.fex||"

type="worp_launch_cgi" wf_path="Enterprise Intelligence/Standard Reports/CRM/crmact2 - CRM Activity Summary"

The tag that is displayed on the block bar is the encoded one, Title, which means I can't rename the block from within the personal.xml files. I have no idea why the properties and type include the name of the MRE program and not just the file name, because...

... the second BID thing I'd like to rant about is that, once an MRE program is assigned to a block, if you re-edit a view and select a block, there is no way to determine where the program that's assigned to the block is located - the domain, the folder, etc.

Rant not over yet.

Thanks,

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Francis,

Suggestion from BID person: clear the browser cache as well as the app server cache. If you have Tomcat, stop Tomcat, delete the work directory and then restart Tomcat.

Hope this helps. Smiler

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
francesco, it sounds like exactly the issue we're seeing. its the 'MyView' and the only way to make changes to it, is a manual reassign, if that view you're changing is the one you've assigned your user to.
tomcat recranking has nothing to do with it, but thanks for the suggestion, kerry.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
O Susannah, yup, recranking won't do it.

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Dude! I kind of nodded off in the middle of that rant. Next time do us ADD people a favour and keep it short Wink

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post