Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Webfocus is not W3C complaint

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Webfocus is not W3C complaint
 Login/Join

posted
Hi All,
Plz,Give the reason for this Problem:
"The HTML code generated by Webfocus is not W3C complaint".

--------
PROD: WEBFOCUS 7.6.4 on WINDOWS XP/ WINDOWS NT
TEST: WEBFOCUS 7.6.1 on WINDOWS XP/ WINDOWS NT

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WF: WebFOCUS 7.6.4/7.6.8/7.6.10/7702/7703
Windows: XP/NT,
Output formats: HTML,PDF,EXCEL,ACTIVE HTML

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
The reason and solution?????

Why?

Do you think this is the place to find the solution?

I would send this question to Information Builders, they might be able to answer this and find the solution (whatever that might be).

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
<JG>
posted
PRAKASH,

Like Frank asked why is it an issue that WebFocus is not W3C compliant?
Microsoft is not either or any other major sofware vendor for that matter.

If the reason is that the company that you are working for requires W3C compliance
then the only solution is that they create every single thing they want using a
basic language and have standards in place that restrict programmers from using
those parts/features that are none compliant, All tools have them.

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
The issue of the OP is not that "WebFocus is not W3C compliant?", but that "The HTML code generated by Webfocus is not W3C compliant".

I'm sure the many users that prefer Firefox, or other non-IE browsers, wish that WebFocus generated W3C compliant HTML. There are many reasons to prefer well structured, W3C valid HTML or XHTML, that a Google search will reveal.

IBI has been too dependent on Microsoft for too long. Odd, since they have been a trail blazer in cross platform interoperability. They are trying to provide better support for Firefox, but I wonder if that is by patches, or standards support ?

While I'm on a bit of a rant, I sorely wish IBI hadn't dropped the MacFocus product. They could have learned a lot about making better GUI interfaces, something that they still do poorly. I was disappointed with the GUI of the first Windows product Focus DLL, and it hasn't gotten much better since...

Again, odd, considering that Focus was the standout programming user interface in the mainframe days !

< /RANT>

Regards,
Dave

http://www.daveayers.com

WebFocus/Maintain 7.6.4-8
on Win2000 and 2003 Server

Posts: 165 | Location: Detroit Metro | Registered: September 17, 2003Report This Post
<JG>
posted
Dave, It is fully understood that the W3C compliance was with regard to the HTML/javascript
and not the WebFocus application product.

However the statistics speak for themselves.

Microsoft in spite of the gains made by Firefox still controls over 50% of the browser market.

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

What you do not see in these statistics which represent ALL web usage are the statistics
specific to business usage. There Microsoft probably has an 80% share, purely on the basis that most companies will not allow the use of any other browser.

I fully agree that in the ideal world browser output generated by WebFocus should work with all browsers, however I think you would be challenged to find a single thing that did, either because of lack of W3C compliance or bugs in the browser it’s self. They all have them.

There is no such thing as a 100% W3C compliant browser.

Very interestingly as a total side note. With 7.6.6 I have a WebFocus html/JavaScript menu system based on HTML Painter that works in Opera without a flaw but will not run
in IE 7 or Firefox. (Also works in the Google Chrome Beta)

Report This Post