Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Partition
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hi
I am trying to create partitions by going with the following approach:

-Edit the Master File and add the ACCESSFILE attribute.
-Create the Access File using a text editor.

Once the partition is created, is there any way we can query the individual partition and get the data for that particular partition only? If yes, then please let me know how to go about it.
Basically I need to verify whether the partitioning logic which I have implemented works or not.
Any help would be highly appreciated.

Warm Regards
Syed Arij
-*****Using WebFOCUS 7.1.4 through Citrix.

Using WF 7.1.7/Dev Studio

Posts: 189 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: July 12, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
after editing the master you will have to give the command
CREATE
and than you can do

CHECK FILE ....

succes

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Syed,
In the Describing Data With WebFOCUS Language Manual (vers. 7.6) you will see that in order to partition you have to have a WHERE clause which will define the records that go into each partition (page 7-38 and following). Once that is defined, when you have a TABLE request that uses the same WHERE as in the partition definition, FOCUS will access only that partition (page 7-41). It should be totally transparent. After the query you can use the ? STAT command to find out how much I/O has been performed.

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Frank,
I am using the following code to create the access file for .mas file:
MASTERNAME POC_ACCESS
DATANAME 'FINPART1 FOCUS A'
WHERE LOC_I EQ 553;
LOCATION MORECUST
DATANAME 'MORE553 FOCUS A'

DATANAME 'FINPART2 FOCUS A'
WHERE LOC_I EQ 551;
LOCATION MORECUST
DATANAME 'MORE551 FOCUS A'

After this, when I try to query the .mas file for the source, I am getting the error:
(ACC20203) ACCESS FILE POC_ACCESS ( MASTER @0000000 ) NOT FOUND
BYPASSING TO END OF COMMAND

Please help.

Rgds
Syed

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Danny
As mentioned in my last post, I am using the following code to create the access file/partitions:
MASTERNAME POC_ACCESS
DATANAME 'FINPART1 FOCUS A'
WHERE LOC_I EQ 553;
LOCATION MORECUST
DATANAME 'MORE553 FOCUS A'

DATANAME 'FINPART2 FOCUS A'
WHERE LOC_I EQ 551;
LOCATION MORECUST
DATANAME 'MORE551 FOCUS A'
However, I am unable to query the .mas file and get data.
Please help.

Regards
Syed

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Syed,
1. Did you enter the attribute ACCESSFILE=POC_ACCESS in the master file? (By the way I would limit the name to 8 characters)
2. I see you are on a VM box. Are your access definitions in a file called POC_ACCESS ACCESS fm?

Daniel
In Focus since 1982

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Danny
1. Did you enter the attribute ACCESSFILE=POC_ACCESS in the master file? - Yes I did. However, the filename is more than 8 characters as is mentioned here. I will change the name to less than 8 characters.

2.I see you are on a VM box. Are your access definitions in a file called POC_ACCESS ACCESS fm?- No. I am using POC_ACCESS.ACX file for creating the access file. Also, I did not get what you meant by 'VM box'. Please let me know if this approach is correct or not.
FYI since I am loacated in India, I will not be able to work on your suggestions till tomorrow morning my time! Your help, however, will certainly give me pointers to the correct approach.

Rgds
Syed

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Syed,
Because you used DATANAME 'FINPART1 FOCUS A', it seemed to me that you were on a VM mainframe machine. So what machine are you using? Windows? Unix?
Regards till tomorrow.

Daniel
In Focus since 1982

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Danny
Yes I am working on a mainframe server. Do I need to use .acx file to write the definitions for an access file?

Rgds
Syed

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Syed,
You are working on a M/F server. Is it MVS? Or VM? Or Linux? What is your file system?
After DATANAME you must put the name of the file as it is on the disk.
I looked in the manuals and I didn't see what should be the name of the ACCESS files if you have a Linux or Windows file system. I suppose it is .acx.
So tell me first what is your file system and then we'll see.

Daniel
In Focus since 1982

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Danny,
We are using MVS server.
Actually our intention is to partition the FOCUS file in the WebFOCUS environment.
Here's a snapshot of the .mas file which we are using:
FILE=parttest, SUFFIX=FOC, ACCESS=/usr/lpp/IWAYEPTA/ibi/apps/irs_dev/PARTTEST
SEGNAME=ROOT_SEG, SEGTYPE=S1, $
FIELD=ACCT_DT, ALIAS=ACCT_DT, FORMAT=MDY, PROPERTY=KEY, $
FIELD=YR_I, ALIAS=YR_I, FORMAT=I5, $
FIELD=MO_I, ALIAS=MO_I, FORMAT=I5, $
FIELD=WK_I, ALIAS=WK_I, FORMAT=I5, $

And below is the access file created for the same:
MASTERNAME PARTTEST
DATANAME USER1.PARTTEST1.FOCUS
WHERE MO_I EQ 1 TO 6;
DATANAME USER1.PARTTEST2.FOCUS
WHERE MO_I EQ 7 TO 12;
We want to partition the FOCUS file which would be created for the source data (coming from a DB2 table).
Please suggest a suitable approach for the same.

Regards
Syed

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Syed

The partitioning of a FOCUS db has to be done with care.

Take an example for a WebFOCUS windows environment, the MFD is as you describe:
FILE=parttest, SUFFIX=FOC, ACCESS=parttest
SEGNAME=ROOT_SEG, SEGTYPE=S1, $
FIELD=ACCT_DT, ALIAS=ACCT_DT, FORMAT=MDY, PROPERTY=KEY, $
FIELD=YR_I, ALIAS=YR_I, FORMAT=I5, $
FIELD=MO_I, ALIAS=MO_I, FORMAT=I5, $
FIELD=WK_I, ALIAS=WK_I, FORMAT=I5, $

As the MFD and ACCESS file are in the same directory, only the name of the ACCESS file needs to be given, or you could you a complete windows path or a APP PATH notation, MYAPP/PARTTEST.

For the access file:
MASTERNAME PARTTEST
DATANAME c:\dir1\dir2\parttest1.foc
WHERE MO_I FROM 1 TO 6;
DATANAME c:\dir1\dir2\parttest1.foc
WHERE MO_I FROM 7 TO 12;

The DATANAME is in the windows format of path and directory. You can also use the APP PATH notation, MYAPP/parttest1.foc.

Now first thing to remember is that partitioning is automatic only for reporting. So to report from this data you have to do nothing more. To load the data you must issue the correct USE statement:
USE
c:\dir1\dir2\parttest1.foc
END

and manually separate the partition values prior to loading the data, MODIFY will ignore the ACCESS file attributes.

Additionally you must also CREATE these partitions separately, again issuing the correct use, CREATE FILE will ignore the ACCESS file attributes.

The same applies to any platform, just ensure you have the naming conventions correct.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Alan
Your approach work just fine for me. Thanks a lot. I am able to use the feature of partitioning using the steps suggesed by you. You are right- Its the same approach for any environment (its working for MF too).

Regards
Syed