Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CASE-OPENED] coordinated compound report in Excel with 2 reports on 1 sheet

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CASE-OPENED] coordinated compound report in Excel with 2 reports on 1 sheet
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I had a compound report (legacy syntax) in Excel (both EXL2K and EXL07) that had two table reports on same sheet.
We need to burst and distribute this report with ReportCaster, and as this is not possible with the legacy compound syntax (SET COMPOUND OPEN / NOBREAK / CLOSE) I tried to convert this to the Document Composer syntax for compound reports with MERGE=ON for bursting.

I do not succeed however in getting the two reports on the same sheet. Both in EXL2K (mht) as EXL07 (xlsx) the second report (second component) is placed on Sheet2. Below is the compound syntax I am using.

SET HTMLARCHIVE=ON
COMPOUND LAYOUT PCHOLD AS '&OUTPUT_EXL_NAME' FORMAT &DEF_OUTPUT
UNITS=IN, $
SECTION=section1, LAYOUT=ON, METADATA='0.5^0.5^0.5^0.5^4', MERGE=OFF, ORIENTATION=LANDSCAPE, PAGESIZE=A4, SHOW_GLOBALFILTER=OFF, $
PAGELAYOUT=1, NAME='Page layout 1', text='Page layout 1', TOC-LEVEL=1, BOTTOMMARGIN=0.5, TOPMARGIN=0.5, LEFTMARGIN=0.5, RIGHTMARGIN=0.5,METADATA='BOTTOMMARGIN=0.1,TOPMARGIN=0.25,LEFTMARGIN=0.2,RIGHTMARGIN=0.1,', $
COMPONENT='demografisch', TEXT='demografisch', TOC-LEVEL=2, POSITION=(0.2 0.25), DIMENSION=(* *), METADATA='Z-INDEX: 100; POSITION: absolute; WIDTH: 11.4in; HEIGHT: 2.3in; TOP: 0.25in; LEFT: 0.2in', $
COMPONENT='forecast', TEXT='forecast', TOC-LEVEL=2, POSITION=(0.2 2.9), DIMENSION=(* *), METADATA='Z-INDEX: 100; POSITION: absolute; WIDTH: 11.4in; HEIGHT: 5.2in; TOP: 2.9in; LEFT: 0.2in', $
END

How do I arrange that both components remain on the same excel sheet? Or is this not possible?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WebFocus 8206M, iWay DataMigrator, Windows, DB2 Windows V10.5, MS SQL Server, Azure SQL, Hyperstage, ReportCaster

<Kathryn Henning>
posted
Hi Martin,

Here are some ways to go about distributing the entire output via ReportCaster:

ReportCaster is not returning whole report

Cheers!

Kathryn

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Kathryn,

Thanks for your reply. It is indeed an interesting document. But it does not answer my question however.

I already implemented the coordinated compound document format. The only problem is that the two excel reports Always come on separate sheets, and I want them on the same sheet.

With the 'old' compound syntax it works fine with COMPOUND 'OPEN NOBREAK'. With the composer compound syntax I keep getting them on two separate sheets.
I need the composer syntax for the coordinated compound report however if we want to burst the report in ReportCaster.

I already found that I need to add the following to the second component:
POSITION=(+0.0 +0.1), DIMENSION=(* *), RELATIVE-TO='demografisch', RELATIVE-POINT=BOTTOM-LEFT, POSITION-POINT=TOP-LEFT, 

Nevertheless the second report keeps coming on a separate sheet in Excel.

Has anyone succeeded to get two excel tab reports on the same sheet with the composer syntax for compound documents?

WebFocus 8206M, iWay DataMigrator, Windows, DB2 Windows V10.5, MS SQL Server, Azure SQL, Hyperstage, ReportCaster

<Kathryn Henning>
posted
Hi Martin,

Thank you for your update. I was attempting to work around your initial issue. Smiler

I did some further research on this. There is currently a Project in programming to have all of the report output display on a single sheet in Excel. A target release has not yet been assigned.

If you would like your request to be tied to the Project, please open a New Feature Request on InfoResponse Online.

Thanks and regards,

Kathryn

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Kathryn,

Thanks for the response.
I will tie myself to the project, although I find it a bit curious to call it a New Feature Request. It worked fine with the old compound report syntax, but it does not work with the composer syntax for compound reports, that is it does work for DHTML and PDF, but not for Excel. So it seems rather like a bug than a NFR.

Meanwhile I created a work around. I need the Excel output format only if the end user requests this report through the webinterface which will be a request without bursting (single burst value). It is only with ReportCaster that we need bursting for bulk pdf distribution, but that is only pdf format.

So I adjusted my code to have both old compound syntax and new composer syntax and automatically choose the correct format based on chosen output format.

-SET &COMPOUND_NEW = IF &DEF_OUTPUT CONTAINS 'EXL' THEN '-*' ELSE '';
-SET &COMPOUND_OLD = IF &DEF_OUTPUT CONTAINS 'EXL' THEN '' ELSE '-*';

&COMPOUND_NEW SET HTMLARCHIVE=ON
&COMPOUND_NEW COMPOUND LAYOUT PCHOLD AS '&OUTPUT_EXL_NAME' FORMAT &DEF_OUTPUT
&COMPOUND_NEW UNITS=IN, $
&COMPOUND_NEW SECTION=section1, LAYOUT=ON, METADATA='0.5^0.5^0.5^0.5^4', MERGE=OFF, ORIENTATION=LANDSCAPE, PAGESIZE=A4, SHOW_GLOBALFILTER=OFF, $
&COMPOUND_NEW PAGELAYOUT=1, NAME='Page layout 1', text='Page layout 1', TOC-LEVEL=1, BOTTOMMARGIN=0.5, TOPMARGIN=0.5, LEFTMARGIN=0.5, RIGHTMARGIN=0.5,METADATA='BOTTOMMARGIN=0.1,TOPMARGIN=0.25,LEFTMARGIN=0.2,RIGHTMARGIN=0.1,', $
&COMPOUND_NEW COMPONENT='demografisch', TEXT='demografisch', TOC-LEVEL=2, POSITION=(0.2 0.25), DIMENSION=(* *), METADATA='Z-INDEX: 100; POSITION: absolute; WIDTH: 11.4in; HEIGHT: 1.0in; TOP: 0.25in; LEFT: 0.2in', $
&COMPOUND_NEW COMPONENT='forecast', TEXT='forecast', TOC-LEVEL=2, POSITION=(+0.0 +0.1), DIMENSION=(* *), RELATIVE-TO='demografisch', RELATIVE-POINT=BOTTOM-LEFT, POSITION-POINT=TOP-LEFT, METADATA='Z-INDEX: 100; POSITION: absolute; WIDTH: 11.4in; HEIGHT: 5.2in; TOP: 1.35in; LEFT: 0.2in', $
&COMPOUND_NEW END

&COMPOUND_OLD ON TABLE SET COMPOUND 'OPEN NOBREAK'

et cetera

Martin.

<Kathryn Henning>
posted
Hi Martin,

Please allow me to clarify this better. Smiler The New Feature Request is for the ability to have two reports display on the same sheet in Excel.

You've described a difference in behavior with the newer syntax which, as you state, isn't an NFR. I did some digging on this but was unable to find out the reason for the difference. I know that you mentioned that you had come up with a work around. If you would like to work on getting the original way to work, please open a case on InfoResponse Online so that we can work with you on this.

Thanks and regards,

Kathryn

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Kathryn,

Is this issue resolved in WebFocus 8.007 version? If so, can you please let us know?

Thanks

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
AHV, what is your specific problem? It might be better if you create a new FocalPoint post, describing exactly what the issue is.

I have had trouble distributing EXL2K Compound reports via Report Caster. Here's what worked for me:

Edit the Report Caster schedule.
Edit the Task.
In the Report Properties area:
- Check "Override the Format Specified in the Procedure"
- Select EXL2K
- Click OK and then save the schedule changes

Even though the output in the fex was EXL2K, the override to EXL2K made the fex work when run via Report Caster.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Francis. You saved the day for me.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
It's good to know that an old post (and an old developer) can still help!

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
We don't use the word "old".

We are "seasoned".

Webfocus 8
Windows, Linux

Posts: 258 | Location: Palm Coast, FL | Registered: February 05, 2010Report This Post