Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Borders/grids in EXL 2K

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Borders/grids in EXL 2K
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
The following piece of code generates the output with no borders/grids. How do we get the borders/grids in EXL2K format?
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
RETAIL_COST
DEALER_COST
SALES
BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
BY CAR

ON COUNTRY SUBTOTAL AS '*TOTAL'
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM NOLEAD
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
UNITS=IN,
PAGESIZE='Legal',
LEFTMARGIN=0.097222,
RIGHTMARGIN=0.000000,
TOPMARGIN=0.000000,
BOTTOMMARGIN=0.000000,
SQUEEZE=OFF,
ORIENTATION=PORTRAIT,
$
TYPE=REPORT,
GRID=ON,
$
ENDSTYLE
END

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Guru
posted Hide Post
Unless someone knows something I don't, you can use BORDER attributes in a StyleSheet in an HTML, PDF, or PS reports only. Grids can be used in HTML only.

If someone knows of a work around, I'd been interested too.

Glenda

Glenda

In FOCUS Since 1990
Production 8.2 Windows

Posts: 301 | Location: Galveston, Texas | Registered: July 07, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot for your help.
Now I am able to do it

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Code Digger,

Styles do not translate to Excel, you will need to employ templates.

Hope this helps. Smiler

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
kerry ,
i was wondering whether we can use macros to generate Gridlines and every time the report is opened in EXL2K format ..macros run automatically and the gridlines are displayed...
Is it possible??even i am facing the same problem of Grid lines??

Please Advice

WebFOCUS 714
Windows XP
Output: HTML,PDF,Excel

Expert
posted Hide Post
Arvind,

Yes you can but, as Kerry mentions, you would have to use Excel Templates so that you can program in your Miscrosoft VBA code into the .mht file used for the template.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
There have been at least three threads within the last week regarding this EXACT same question and probably that many as well regarding use of Excel templates. This information is also documented in the user manuals.

PLEASE people - do a cursory search of information that is already available before posting new questions. I understand that not everyone is aware that this is available (though it's not too hard to find), but you only have to use the forum a few times before the topics of using "Find" and searching documentation are brought up.

Maybe the forum moderator should create a ! document with some of these common helps and courtesies for using the forum. Or have them sent to new users as they sign up to use the forum.

This isn't an attack on CodeDigger, but it occurs frequently and something of this nature may address the issue.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Darin,

Reign it in mate. Arvind was asking a question of Kerry's post above. You have to read the context and flow of the posts to realise that his question is/was fairly valid.

Rule: Get a good understanding of the flow before placing foot into mouth Wink

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I think Darin's got a point that having a FAQ section might be a good idea. (My favourite candidate is functions in DM not preserving alpha type - this has cropped up loads - remember wasting 1/2 day on it myself back in 1988! ).

Kerry

Would it be possible to have a FAQ section which I think would have to be under the control of the moderator, but uses the input of posters?

John

IMHO so far the list reads

1. Excel templates for styling spreadsheets.
2. Using functions with Alpha Arguments in DM.

Any more suggestions?

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi John and all,

A FAQ section sounds interesting. Let me bring this suggestion in and see what/how/where we can start from.

Keep the suggestions/comments coming please. Big Grin

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post
<dab448>
posted
This code sample may be what you are looking for.

-* File BordersInExcel.fex
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT SALES SEATS
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
BY MODEL
ON TABLE SET PAGE NOPAGE
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE HOLD FORMAT HTML
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=DATA,COLUMN=COUNTRY,
BORDER-LEFT=MEDIUM,
BORDER-RIGHT=MEDIUM,
BORDER-TOP=MEDIUM,
BORDER-BOTTOM=MEDIUM,$
ENDSTYLE
END
-RUN
SET HTMLFORMTYPE=XLS
-HTMLFORM HOLD

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I've never seen the HTMLFORMTYPE setting before. Learned something new. Anyway, this is interesting since we've been telling everyone that borders could not be carried into Excel. In fact, they aren't but you've found a way around it by specifying HTML format which then opens as a spreadsheet.

I had to add a -MRNOEDIT to the beginning of the -HTMLFORM line to get it to work properly in MRE.

I wouldn't be TOO surprised if there are still some things that don't translate but this is the quick answer to the "borders and grids in excel" question.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
hey thanks for the MRNOEDIT tip..but still the report is not exported to Excel format.. and whenever i copy and paste it in another Excel2000 file,,the grid lines are not visible in the print preview ...i guess the only way is to create Excel templates ..any suggestions???

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arvind,

WebFOCUS 714
Windows XP

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
and whenever i copy and paste it in another Excel2000 file,,the grid lines are not visible in the print preview
Arvind,

This is, as has been mentioned before, an Excel / MS Clipboard problem in as much as you will have to set Excel to print grid lines.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
thank you sir

WebFOCUS 714
Windows XP

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Forgot about the grid lines part. I do get borders with the technique, but still no grid lines. Back to the templates solution...

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Second thought, you might try adding

TYPE=REPORT, BORDER-LEFT=LIGHT,
BORDER-RIGHT=LIGHT,
BORDER-TOP=LIGHT,
BORDER-BOTTOM=LIGHT,$

to the stylesheet. This adds borders around the fields and sort groups. It may get you closer to what you're looking for. This LOOKS like grids are on, but is really just adding borders around EVERYTHING.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991

Expert
posted Hide Post
Darin,

The important piece about Arvind's problem is that he is cutting and pasting content from the output into an MS Excel worksheet (why? I wouldn't want to guess Confused) and then using print preview.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Gold member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dab448:
This code sample may be what you are looking for.

-* File BordersInExcel.fex
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT SALES SEATS
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
BY MODEL
ON TABLE SET PAGE NOPAGE
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE HOLD FORMAT HTML
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=DATA,COLUMN=COUNTRY,
BORDER-LEFT=MEDIUM,
BORDER-RIGHT=MEDIUM,
BORDER-TOP=MEDIUM,
BORDER-BOTTOM=MEDIUM,$
ENDSTYLE
END
-RUN
SET HTMLFORMTYPE=XLS
-HTMLFORM HOLD

Based on this method to get borders on Excel, is it possible to use for Set Compound reports??
SET COMPOUND='OPEN NOBREAK'
Report 1:

Report 2:
SET COMPOUND=CLOSE

WF 8105M
- Portal, Dashboard
- Rcaster, Data Migrator
- Windows 2012 Client Server
- Dev/App Studio 8105
- Data: SQL, Oracle, Neteeza,MVS