Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] HTML Composer - Dynamic text box population using values within the form

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] HTML Composer - Dynamic text box population using values within the form
 Login/Join

posted
Hello all,

This is an odd request. I have a form created in HTML composer to launch a report. In this form, I accept an accounting month and an accounting year (edit1 and edit2, respectively). Elsewhere on the form, I have an unbound text box (edit4) which I am dynamically populating from a different master file - this master file is for a SQL view, and I want to retrieve a piece of data from the view based on the values of edit1 and edit 2.

While I can get the values from edit1 and edit2 in JavaScript, I am having great difficulty getting these values down to the code controlling edit4 (the CDATA block) so that I can use those to values as conditions in the Where clause. Has anyone had any success populating a dynamic control whose Where clause uses elements from the same form?

I hope this makes sense. Please ask me any questions if you require clarification. I would embed the HTML code but I don't know how to do that without messing up this page.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 7.6.11,
Windows XP,
Server 2003, SQL Server 7/2005
PDF, HTML, Excel

Master
posted Hide Post
Not sure if this is what you are looking to do. But, you have have multiple report display on a single html page sharing parameters. In other words report1 use edit2 and edit2 at the same time report2 can have parameters with the same name as edit1 and edit2 then when the report(s) are executed the all receive the same parameters. My question is what is edit4 used for if it is just to display a value then you can use a report in various ways to get what you want.

Scott

posted Hide Post
Hi TexasStingray,

The need to dynamically populate edit4 has nothing to do with report generation - it is simply a display of the last time a download process was run for the month and year entered by the user. The report being run needs data from the download (powered by a stored procedure and run using a button on the launch page) so what we want is for the last date the download was run for the month/year entered to populate on the page when the dates are changed. This will allow the user to determine whether or not a download is necessary for report generation. Then the report itself can be run (after the download is complete, as necessary) using the standard form buttons on the launch page.

WebFOCUS 7.6.11,
Windows XP,
PDF, HTML, Excel

Guru
posted Hide Post
JRenner -

From the Parameters tab in HTML Composer you can add parameters by right-clicking in the white space and selecting Add Parameter. You'll notice that it uses a dashed line instead of a solid line to identify it as being a 'local' parameter. Within the confines of the HTML page these will function pretty much the same way your report parameters do except they won't get passed to anything when you click the run button.

So, you can bind your edit1 and edit2 controls to local parameters and then use those as filters in the code that populates edit4.

I hope this helps. If you need an example let me know and I'll put one together for you.

Regards,

Dan

7.7.05M/7.7.03 HF6 on Windows Server 2003 SP2 output to whatever is required.

Posts: 393 | Location: St. Paul, MN | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan Pinault:
JRenner -

From the Parameters tab in HTML Composer you can add parameters by right-clicking in the white space and selecting Add Parameter. You'll notice that it uses a dashed line instead of a solid line to identify it as being a 'local' parameter. Within the confines of the HTML page these will function pretty much the same way your report parameters do except they won't get passed to anything when you click the run button.

So, you can bind your edit1 and edit2 controls to local parameters and then use those as filters in the code that populates edit4.

I hope this helps. If you need an example let me know and I'll put one together for you.

Regards,

Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the response. I see where you are going with this, but I can't get how the table file code that populates edit4 would use the parameters. If it isn't too much to ask this late on a Friday, I will take you up on your offer of an example.

WebFOCUS 7.6.11,
Windows XP,
PDF, HTML, Excel

posted Hide Post
Hello all,

Just an update. I resolved the issue using VBScript. Working like a charm now. Thanks for the input.

WebFOCUS 7.6.11,
Windows XP,
PDF, HTML, Excel

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Dan, is it necessary to have a "form" in the document for manual parameters to be used?

I have created a page in HTML composer where I use some controls to capture parameters and invoke a .fex but I chose not to create a form.

All works relatively fine except for the fact that when I try to manually add a parameter from the Parameters tab, I get prompted for a name, type and initial value and as soon as I finish completing the information the parameter just vanishes. If I flip over to the HTML tab and back again to the Parameters tab my newly added parameter is nowhere to be found Confused

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Guru
posted Hide Post
Sorry folks. I haven't forgotten about you. I will create a sample after hours today and post it.

njsden - I don't recall having that issue but I wonder if the 'local' parameter needs to be bound to a control or else HTML Composer throws it out. (Gotta love HTML Composer! Mad)
I'll see if I can replicate that issue when I build the sample.

Thanks,

Dan

Posts: 393 | Location: St. Paul, MN | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Rats! I'm not getting a simple example to work the way I'm expecting it to work. I'll keep trying and post something as soon as possible.

Dan

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Using the CAR file, enter COUNTRY and CAR and display LAST MODEL. See pictures:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Danny-SRL,

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny-SRL:
Using the CAR file, enter COUNTRY and CAR and display LAST MODEL. See pictures:

Hi Danny,

Thank you for the response. These are great pictures and seem to illustrate what I want to do (which I have already accomplished via VBScript, but would rather do with the tools WebFOCUS offers so that the other developers can mimic this more easily), but showing the underlying code is what is needed here. Are you chaining Country to Car, then Car to the Last Model field? Are you chaining Country and Car to Last Model? Some more info would be helpful.

Thanks again

WebFOCUS 7.6.11,
Windows XP,
PDF, HTML, Excel

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
IIRC, starting with WF 7.6.10 the way interface elements are chained to each other changed significantly. I notice you are on 7.6.9, while Dan is on 7.7...

Not to discourage you, but I expect that his solution will not work in your environment.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wep5622:
IIRC, starting with WF 7.6.10 the way interface elements are chained to each other changed significantly. I notice you are on 7.6.9, while Dan is on 7.7...

Not to discourage you, but I expect that his solution will not work in your environment.

Not that it might make a difference, we are actually running 7.6.11 - I need to update my sig. But, I see what you are saying.

WebFOCUS 7.6.11,
Windows XP,
PDF, HTML, Excel