Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Issue With ACROSS
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
I have a small issue while using ACROSS
Let me Illustrate that with an eg:
Please see the following code

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
CNT.SEATS AS 'StatusCnt'
BY MODEL AS 'Business'
BY CAR AS 'Company'
ACROSS COUNTRY AS ''
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM OFF
ON TABLE SET PAGE NOLEAD
END

And this code produces an o/p something like this

ENGLAND FRANCE ITALY JAPAN W GERMANY
Business Company
100 LS 2 DOOR AUTO AUDI 0 0 0 0 1
2000 4 DOOR BERLINA ALFA ROMEO 0 0 1 0 0
2000 GT VELOCE ALFA ROMEO 0 0 1 0 0

But I want that extra space which is in between the line1 and line2 of the o/p to be removed, i mean the o/p shld look something like this :

Business Company ENGLAND FRANCE ITALY JAPAN W GERMANY
100 LS 2 DOOR AUTO AUDI 0 0 0 0 1
2000 4 DOOR BERLINA ALFA ROMEO 0 0 1 0 0
2000 GT VELOCE ALFA ROMEO 0 0 1 0 0

All the column names should be in the same line and i want to know how this can be done, i know this problem is because of using ACROSS.

Please suggest me a way to resolve this problem. Thanks

Unix & Windows
Excel,HTML,PDF,PPT,AHTML

Posts: 68 | Location: Hyderabad | Registered: March 18, 2008Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Try this:

SET ASNAMES=ON
-RUN
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
CNT.SEATS AS 'StatusCnt'
BY MODEL AS 'Business'
BY CAR AS 'Company'
ACROSS COUNTRY AS ''
ON TABLE SET PAGE NOLEAD
ON TABLE HOLD AS MYFILE FORMAT ALPHA
END
-RUN
TABLE FILE MYFILE
PRINT *
END  

WF 7.6.11
Output: HTML, PDF, Excel

Posts: 123 | Location: UK | Registered: October 09, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks a ton tewy that worked...
And could you please lemme knw why you used
1) RUN before both the table requests, does this have anything to do with the performance??
2) FORMAT ALPHA, how does that influence the format of the o/p??

Unix & Windows
Excel,HTML,PDF,PPT,AHTML

Expert
posted Hide Post
saggy,

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!

You can look up the use of FORMAT ALPHA - and all the other formats - in manuals.

You can also find out why -RUN is used, and that is, to execute the current contents of the parsed stack.

T

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
1) In this particular instance, you don't need the -RUN. It is normally used to execute the focstack prior to running another Dialogue Manager command that would need the results of the previous FOCUS command.

2) In this particular instance, the format is irrelevant and the output will be the same. However, those of us who create a lot of hold files with WebFOCUS find that FORMAT ALPHA tends to be more flexible than the default format BINARY.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Just to answer;

1) Habit! I find when reading the code -RUN statements break it up to make it easier to read (personal preferance). Plus in older versions of WebFOCUS when I used to (on occasion) watch the output of SET ECHO=ALL in the command window whilst waiting for a result, -RUN made it put the number of lines of output etc under each table request, without the -RUN you just got all your code, followed by all the results. Made error trapping easier.

2) Using SET ASNAMES=ON and FORMAT ALPHA changes the fieldname of your STATUSCNT to STATUSCNT and the relevant country.

WF 7.6.11

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi tewy please examine the following code

I had problems retaining the column totals in the alpha hold file.
To over come this i calculated the totals just before printing the contents but the totals came up in two lines
sm thing like this

Total
138,134 4 1 4 2 7

so could you please help me out on this..and i want the final o/p to be out in excel , so do we have any approaches on getting the totals in excel??Please suggest. TIA

SET ASNAMES=ON
-RUN
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
CNT.SEATS AS ''
BY DEALER_COST AS 'Business'
BY CAR AS 'Company'
ACROSS COUNTRY AS ''
ON TABLE SET PAGE NOLEAD
END
-RUN
TABLE FILE MYFILE
PRINT *
ON TABLE COLUMN-TOTAL AS 'Total'
END

Unix & Windows
Excel,HTML,PDF,PPT,AHTML

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Your problem is because the first column in your print is a numeric column for which WebFOCUS will provide a total, if the column were alpha you'd be able to have the word TOTAL and the total values on the same line.

Rearrange your columns so there is an alpha field as your first sort field.

WF 7.6.11

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Here's a way, but there's a tradeoff -- You get TOTAL and the total values on a single line, at the cost of indenting the entire report a bit.

DEFINE FILE CAR
NADA/A1=;
END
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
CNT.SEATS AS ''
BY NADA AS ''
BY DEALER_COST
BY CAR
ACROSS COUNTRY AS ''
ON TABLE SUMMARIZE
END

This message has been edited. Last edited by: j.gross,

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
DEFINE FILE CAR
V_SC/A100 = MODEL || COUNTRY;
V_AC/A100 = IF V_SC EQ 'M1' THEN 'King' ELSE IF V_SC EQ 'M2' THEN 'Queen' ELSE IF V_SC EQ 'M3' THEN 'Jose' ELSE IF V_SC EQ 'M4' THEN 'Alpha' ELSE 'Beta';
Model/A100 = MODEL;
Country/A100 = COUNTRY;
END

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
CNT.V_SC AS ''
BY Model
BY Country
ACROSS V_AC AS ''
END

TABLE FILE MYFILE
PRINT
ON TABLE COLUMN-TOTAL AS 'Total'
END

Try this this stil din help me out of the problem my first by is a alpha nw.

Unix & Windows
Excel,HTML,PDF,PPT,AHTML