Focal Point
Creating Dynamic Schedules using Reportcaster API

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/6291069391

October 31, 2006, 09:38 AM
lstellman
Creating Dynamic Schedules using Reportcaster API
We are investigating setting up dynamic schedules at run time using the Reportcaster API. Has anyone been able to do this and if so, how was it done? Have you had issues/problems and if so, what were they? Any information, suggestions anyone can share would be appreciated.
October 31, 2006, 10:22 AM
Francis Mariani
It has been quite a while, but I have used the ReportCaster 5.3.2 API via JSP pages. There are samples provided with the software.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
October 31, 2006, 03:53 PM
Fernando
I have been able to do this using the Caster API for 7.13 in a Servlet.

It can be a little bit tricky, so here is my advice.

1) First create a simple program jsp or servlet that connects with caster. It needs a servername, port, userid, password minimum.
2) Next create a simple schedule for a self service fex that is in the path. Try using a run once schedule goes to a printer and sends no notification.
3) Keep getting more complex until you are where you want to be.

Note: If leave something out then an Exception will be generated. Ex: Leave out the job description.

Fernando

Prod WF 8.1.04, QA WF 8.2.03, Dev WF 8.2.03
October 31, 2006, 04:09 PM
jmdoyl1
We've used it on several applications. I have played with the samples to do some prototyping and to update schedules in a batch mode. The java developers have done the intergration between the jsp pages and the api.

Jon

WebFOCUS 7.1.3 Windows Client AIX 5.2 Report Servers
November 02, 2006, 01:22 PM
dhagen
The new api is very simple to use. You should not have any problems. The documentation provides very clear examples for every feature. IOWs , you should not have any problems.

I would suggest that you create one class that contains all the arguments required to create a job (including all set and get methods). That way you can completely separate the collection part of the of the batch process with the job creation part. I would also suggest using resource bundles or properties files to initialize your newly created class with default arguments prior to the assigning actual values. I personally like to use multiple levels of overriding defaults such as: environmental defaults, location, application etc. That will save a lot of potential problems with having to duplicate standard entries. Construct it so that the set's will only happen if there is a valid value available during collections, otherwise, it will use the defaults.

Hope this helps.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dhagen,

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott