Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Images in reports
 Login/Join

<Pietro De Santis>
posted
Is it really true that only GIF images can be embedded in PDF reports?

Will IBI be changing this? It would be nice to be able to embed other formats, eg. EPS, so that when a PDF report is printed, the image, a logo for example, looks good. At the moment, a gif is 72 dpi which does not print very well.

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Pietro

While I haven't done it myself, a colleague here has used .svg files in a pdf report. We are on 5.3.2.

I can get more details if you need them. For example, I think he used DevStudio to create the report.

Suzy

Posts: 124 | Location: Lebanon, New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2003Report This Post
<Pietro De Santis>
posted
Suzy,

Even though the 5.3 documentation states that "PDF reports only support GIF files", I've found that JPG files are supported as well.

I would appreciate finding out how your colleague was able to include a SVG file.

I am using Photoshop to create images in various formats and do not see SVG.

Cheers.

Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Pietro,

In 5.3.2 and higher, as was mentioned in the previous post, SVG graphics were introduced to address, among other things, printing.

SVG graphics print at typical printer resolutions (at least 300 dpi), and give you the "boardroom quality" results. Note that JPG and PNG are also included output formats in 5.3.2 and higher.

<Pietro De Santis>
posted
TYPE=HEADING, IMAGE=trillium1.png, POSITION=(+1.000000 +4.000000), $

I get the following error when attempting to embed a PNG image in a PDF formatted report:

(FOC3202) BAD VALUE IN STYLESHEET FILE AT LINE: 39 IMAGE=trillium1.png

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I am getting the same results trying to put a SVG file in a PDF report. I have a case opened with IBI, but no response yet. I'm on 5.3.2

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Pietro,

I see that what you want to do is embed an image into your reports. If I am not mistaken, a TABLE request supports GIF and JPG. I receive the same error as you if I try to call a PNG or something else.

A GRAPH request supports generating SVG, PNG, etc.

This worked for me:

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
SALES
DEALER_COST
BY
COUNTRY
ON TABLE SUBHEAD
" "
" "
" "
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM OFF
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE SET ONLINE-FMT PDF

TYPE=TABHEADING,
SIZE=12,
STYLE=BOLD,
$
TYPE=TABHEADING,
IMAGE=webfocus.jpg,
POSITION=(+0.000000 +0.000000),
$

For now, you might want to consider JPG's instead of GIF's for increased image resolution. The drawback is that JPG's do not support transparencies like GIF's do.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I was trying to put a graph in mine.

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Here are some comments and a fex from a colleague who has been playing with svg and pdf:

here's what I have found:
- you must issue an APP HOLD to the directory you are running in
- you need a separate TABLE file for each Image to be included
- you can suppress the output of the TABLE if you NOPRINT
- you lose your headers and footers for your charts when saved
- Image does NOT line up with TABLE... you must specify where it goes
- SVG works with PDF
- PNG works with HTML
- I haven't played much with the spacing

-* File gifpdf2.fex
-SET &ECHO=ALL;
APP HOLD farrs_wf
GRAPH FILE CAR
SUM SALES
BY COUNTRY
ON GRAPH HOLD AS CARSVG1 FORMAT SVG
END
-RUN
GRAPH FILE CAR
SUM CNT.MODEL
BY COUNTRY
ON GRAPH HOLD AS CARSVG2 FORMAT SVG
END
-RUN
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES NOPRINT
BY COUNTRY
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=REPORT, IMAGE=carsvg1.svg,
POSITION=(2 0), SIZE=(5 3), $
ENDSTYLE
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF OPEN NOBREAK
END

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT MODEL NOPRINT
IF RECORDLIMIT EQ 1
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=REPORT, IMAGE=carsvg2.svg,
POSITION=(2 3), SIZE=(5 3), $
ENDSTYLE
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF CLOSE
END

We are using WFServlet on unix with Apache and Tomcat. farrs_wf is the document root for a virtual host (for this user) running on a different port (not port 80) that we use for each user's DevStudio "sandbox". All data and programs on unix. No MRE, BID, RC, etc. This request is run from DevStudio, not self-serve.

Hope this helps.

Suzy

Posts: 124 | Location: Lebanon, New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2003Report This Post
<Pietro De Santis>
posted
Suzy,

My original question was regarding images, not images created by GRAPH requests.

Thank you for the information.

Regards,

Pietro.

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Another thing to know about SVG format is measurement units for SVG are inches and the measurement units for every other format is pixels. Which is why I could not get my SVG Graph to work.
ON GRAPH SET VAXIS 3.5
ON GRAPH SET HAXIS 11.0

Live and Learn.