Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Border Around Subtotal Section

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Border Around Subtotal Section
 Login/Join

posted
Hello,

I have a report where the data is sorted BY Country and BY Region. It is a SUM report on sales and SUBTOTAL is applied to these two fields. The field sequence in Region, Country and Sales. After each Region there is a blank row, that makes a section break. I want a thick border around this section.

The format of the report is EXL2K. Please help.

Regards,
Anant

WebFOCUS 7
Windows
Output: Excel, PDF, HTML

Posts: 8 | Location: New Delhi | Registered: January 10, 2008Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Anant,

Locate the style manual and give it a read. You need to identify to what TYPE you need to apply BORDER styling.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Does the BORDER attribute carry over into excel? I may be wrong, but I think that the BORDER attribute is one of those that is NOT carried into Excel.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Darin,

Of course you are correct, but my intention was to get Anant to actually read some documentation as then he/she would be better informed, especially as the documentation for BORDER mentions PDF, HTML and PS but never mentions EXL2K or the Excel alternates. From this you can understand that BORDER (and some other styling syntax such as VGRID and HGRID) do not apply to EXL2K.

So you could say that my response was part of a crusade to get some folk to actually bother reading documentation or pushing their employers for some form of basic training. With the current fashion for outsourcing (such as RBS?) the outsourcing companies (OCs) are relying upon the good nature of Forum members to compensate for the OCs not supplying training to graduates who have no experience of WebFOCUS. Don't get me wrong, the "no training" fault lies with the companies and not the graduates.

It is commendable to supply assistance on technique and other such questions, but basic styling and syntax questions? Well I leave that to everyones character, but from my point of view some folks need to be guided to help themselves first. Otherwise they will never bother reading a manual or get some training (and therefore learn how to learn?), they will just think "I don't know how, can't be bothered to find out by reading manuals, so I'll just ask the Forum".

If more members take this approach then perhaps, as a group, we can persuade some OCs to actually supply basic training, and/or encourage some reading of manuals/previous postings before asking for help.

Obviously there are some grey areas in this "generalised" view, but you can often spot those that don't bother apart from those that have tried.

Ok, I'm getting off the soapbox now Wink

T

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hear, hear, Tony. I am often frustrated after posting what should be enough information for the requester to look up the answer only to have it followed by another post with the exact code. I totally agree with you that folks won't learn unless they struggle a bit or make the effort to at least look something up in a manual. I've been doing FOCUS since 1984 and I still look stuff up!

So, continue fighting the good fight. I'm on your side. (Well, actually I'm over here and you're over there but you know what I mean.)

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Tony...you must have needed a tall ladder to get off that box... Wink

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Ginny, Thanks for the support Smiler

Prarie, Only needed the ladder for the high horse Wink

T

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I am also in complete agreement with you Tony and Ginny. Whether or not I "give away" the solution by posting code usually depends upon my mood. (i'm not very generous in the Mad mood). I'm probably guilty of saying too much sometimes, but it's usually if (IMHO) something needs to be clarified.

I absolutely learn and retain things better if I've struggled a little or had to look it up and read it. In this nice and helpful forum, it's just to easy from someone to post code which the user can cut, paste, and forget...

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been doing FOCUS since 1984 and I still look stuff up!

Hear, hear to that, as well. I've been doing this for a while, and although there are many things I remember simply because I used them frequently or taught about them, I prefer to have the understanding so I can look up the syntax when I need it.

Besides, although the old grey filing system is very good at storing things, waiting for the tape to be recalled is a bit slow at times - if it can be found at all.

Winky

ttfn, kp

Access to most releases from R52x, on multiple platforms.

Posts: 346 | Location: Melbourne Australia | Registered: April 15, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Karen,

I think that applies to most of the more experienced coders here!

I always think the most important thing to know about WebFOCUS is where the manuals are kept Wink

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Guru
posted Hide Post
Oh so right!

I have a hard copy and an electronic copy of the manuals. The hard copy is tabbed out with the items I use the most. The electronic copy is great for searching by key words.

But let's not forget the other sources - previously coded reports and especially "includes" for those snippets of code that get used over and over again.

Bottom line is that we may not remember the exact code, but we almost always remember where we say an example of the code.......if we took the time to search for or create it in the first place.

Glenda

In FOCUS Since 1990
Production 8.2 Windows

Posts: 301 | Location: Galveston, Texas | Registered: July 07, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Couldn't agree more with you guys on this subject.
Users of this forum should at least perform a minimal search through this forum and through the most likely documentation available to us all before posting.
By doing so, they make the best use of the resources available, and as a very positive side-effect, make this forum one of the best resources for tips, tricks and solutions there is.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post