Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Unit testing in WebFocus

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Unit testing in WebFocus
 Login/Join

posted
As I understand the term, *unit testing* is an object oriented methodology for incremental testing of components. The test design and data is developed for every incremental function *prior* to coding.

All the examples I have seen appear to be for transaction processing activites.

Does anyone have an adaptation of Unit Testing for WebFocus reporting?

Any ideas?

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Are you upgrading to a new version or implementing WebFocus replacing something else?

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
My concern is about a unit testing paradigm for WebFocus reporting.

It is NOT about installing or upgrading.

Guru
posted Hide Post
I don't think this will quite answer your question, but these are things I think about when testing a report to confirm that my results are correct:

How specific are your report specs?

Do you have a test environment that will provide you reproducible results so that you can continually retest reports after changes?

Can you identify a simple population to verify complex calculations? In the report specs, how do you identify specific data elements that are required? Specific calculations?

Identify ALL possible combinations of data that need to be tested.

How do you verify your results ... dump the source data of a small population that covers the different combinations and verify everything manually? Compare to existing reports that you assume are correct?

Just some ideas.... I hope they help.

ttfn, kp

Access to most releases from R52x, on multiple platforms.

Posts: 346 | Location: Melbourne Australia | Registered: April 15, 2003Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
"Unit Testing" as an IT term isn't really related to object oriented development. (although there may be a framework out there somewhere that formally uses that name). Unit testing is just testing individual components and has been around for some time.

What you describe sounds to me like "Test Driven Development" or "Test First Design". I don't see much of an opportunity for that approach in WebFocus development but I'm not an expert in the area. You could use a tool to automate your calling of the report and to check the HTML sent back at the field level but that's just basic stuff and I would think hardly qualifies as more than just a solid approach to testing.