Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] InfoAssist n BI-Summary and Detail presentation, a working strategy, please?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] InfoAssist n BI-Summary and Detail presentation, a working strategy, please?
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
Hi,

We are using InfoAssist and BI Portal.

I would like to know how we can use the drill-down/navigation functionality in the most effective way as far as the presentation on a Portal is concerned, please.

We can not use PREVIOUS_REPORT and &IBIMR.fullpath method as when we click 'Back' on the detail report, the control goes back to the summary report and not the Portal Page and container where the summary report is hosted.

We wonder drilling-down to a detailed report using 'Report' option within 'Drill Down' is good or not. We doubt it as there could be several distinct browser windows open and the user then may not be able to relate summary to detail.

We are now considering the other option 'Refresh BI Portal'. To start with, a Portal Page has two columns where the left column has the summary report while the right column has the detail report. The Summary report accepts a couple of parameter values. Meanwhile the detail report is executing. The functionality is working as we would expect it to work. Which means if I click a dimension value on the summary report, the detail report is refreshed accordingly. As we are trying this functionality out, the detailed report is not really a detailed report but the next level summary of the original summary report.

But if we wanted to display the actual detailed report, the execution time is more (as it has more dimensions and more granular data) and the parameters are Simple and Optional (which means the detailed report is executed by default). We don't want to display the summary and the detailed report on the same Portal page (or if we can, what's the best way to stop running the detailed report automatically so that only upon clicking a summary dimension value the detail report is executed?).

Therefore, what could be a working Portal design strategy with respect to the drill-down/navigation summary-detail reports executions and / or presentations are concerned?

Can we hide a Portal page which may contain all the detailed reports using Accordion or Tabbed panels (just an idea, I don't know whether it's possible and will work)? UPDATE: I tried the Accordion approach. On the Detailed Page there is an Accordion container with separate areas for individual detailed reports. However, there is a small issue. Assume that there are two summary reports 'SR1' and 'SR2'. On the Detailed Page (portal page) there is a column with Accordion container. The container has two areas. Area A hosts a detailed report 'DR1' and Area B hosts another detailed report 'DR2'. They are associated with the two summary reports - 'SR1' and 'SR2', respectively. Now initially they seem to be drilling down to the correct detailed reports. But next time, from summary (any of the two) the navigation happens to the previously navigated/viewed detailed report. I have to manually open the correct area to view the corresponding detailed report and also refresh the detailed report.

Both the summary and detailed reports are Active Reports. The detailed report has Simple Optional parameters (so it's executed by default).

We need to achieve the drill-down functionality using only InfoAssist and BI Portal, please.

There are a good amount of summary and detailed reports.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Manoj.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Manoj,

Newbie.
WebFOCUS 8.2.0.3.
Client 8.2.0.4.

Posts: 46 | Location: UK | Registered: August 30, 2018Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I wish to delete this post. I have created another post with a different wording.

Thanks for viewing.

Kind regards,

Manoj.

Newbie.
WebFOCUS 8.2.0.3.
Client 8.2.0.4.

Expert
posted Hide Post
You can delete your own post by editing the original post, in this post, and clicking the 'Delete Message...?' link.

Or, you could have just edited the first post with the 'new wording'.

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Doug. I have now changed the wording of this original post and deleted the newer similar post.

Kr,

Manoj.

Newbie.
WebFOCUS 8.2.0.3.
Client 8.2.0.4.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Manoj

I don't have a lot of experience doing what you are asking, I hope by now you have opened a case with techsupport to see if they can provide you the guidance you are looking for.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Chuck,

Thanks for your reply.

I am bit surprised not to see a reply; be it a direct answer or workaround or a general strategy of building navigational reporting using InfoAssist and BIP. (So I guess we need AppStudio.)

Unfortunately, we cannot interact with IBI directly.

I am trying like 'Refresh on Click', individual pages for detailed reports (navigation is hidden for them) but the pieces are not coming together, yet.

I am still hopeful that someone will give some hints (may be not technical) regarding how they have implemented such requirement on their current/past projects.

I shall wait for a week from now, and then if there is no response, I shall close the discussion.

Kind regards,

Manoj.

Newbie.
WebFOCUS 8.2.0.3.
Client 8.2.0.4.

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Closing this for now. Frowner

But ideas are in mind, when time permits I shall explore more.

I recently read that some next release / version will all us to navigate to a page ('Report/Page' option as far as I recall); that will be great.

Thank you.

Kind regards.

Newbie.
WebFOCUS 8.2.0.3.
Client 8.2.0.4.