Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] [SHARING] MFD ACTUAL Field Formats

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] [SHARING] MFD ACTUAL Field Formats
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
Would someone give me a refresher on this, please?

What are the ramifications of changing the ACTUAL format in a MFD from I4 to I5? Can a I4 field store numbers greater then 9999? Inquiring minds need to know.

Someone changed one as it will, in the very near future, contains values above 9999. Now it does not work with the current data.

Is the following correct?

1) The current definition of ACTUAL=I5 does not work because it identifies the actual field size / allocation as being a Integer five (I5) rather then an an integer four (I4). In doing so, it is reading five bits for each store_num, four of which are associated with its actual field size and the fifth being the first of the next value. This cascades throughout the field list. Also, the JOIN to or from this MFD need to be joined to field sizes where the actual sizes are the same.

2) On the other hand, the USAGE can differ according to the needs of the display. In this case, the USAGE is set to I11 which need not be as large seeing that we do not have any store numbers beyond 4 digits, I5 would be adequate. We will get in to the five digit store number in our near future.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug,

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Changing from I4 to I5 will not work without rebuilding the database. The steps would be:
1) rebuild (dump)
2) change the master from I4 to I5
3) do a create file xxxx
4) rebuild (load)
This must be done in a persistent environment such as involking edastart from a dos prompt. Good Luck

Expert
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gary,

That's a good answer if it were a FOCUS DB...

My apologies, I should have mentioned that this is not a FOCUS DB... It's actually on 1010Data.

BTW: What's the max integer (value) which can be stored in an I4?

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Doug

What database are you talking about?

In a FOCUS db this can be done with no repercussions, but then you do not declare an ACTUAL for FOCUS db, only USAGE(FORMAT), so I suspect that this is SQL based.

(After you're response)
The ACTUAL must be what is actually in the table. The USAGE is how you want to see the data presented in a report. There are a few automatic conversions that can happen, e.g. ACTUAL=I4, USAGE=A4.

Maximum value in an I4 is 2,147,483,647 I believe, or something around there, hence the I11 which allows for the -ve sign.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Alan,
quote:
What database are you talking about?
Sorry about the late mention of this: This is 1010data, See more about 1010data.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Doug

This is SQL based, so the ACTUAL cannot be changed unless the data structures changes. The USAGE can be based on the ACTUAL to USAGE table in the ddlang manual.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the confirmation Alan,

We were discussing this, after someone changed an ACTUAL=I4 to ACTUAL=I5, and that was what I was I presenting. They finally bought in to it.

Cool Case Closed...